IGNORED

Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. - Available Now from Many US Retailers

I read that the total storage on the chip is 8 megabyte and that's consumed by everything you see there so far, and not free/extra to exploit.  I have no idea how big the emulator/clock cluster is since it seems to be like one big tangled file with the ROMs weaved into it, but if it does get busted open so you can do something without having to buy a bunch of equipment or do complex hoops to read/write the thing, think small.  I would imagine game size as a given, you'll fit just a few games at best on there, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

Nintendo doubled down on this one. It's a shame that the USB-C port is only for charging and apparently the data pins aren't connected to the processor 😞

So yeah, although it's already been hacked at this point (it was actually hacked before release) it won't be possible to flash it via the USB port and you'll have to open the device up to modify it.

Why would they go through all this effort to prevent modifications? I feel like allowing for easy hacking would only help the sales of your product. The classic systems even went as far as having a "secret" message only accesible by modifying the device and connecting to a pc.

Oh easy answer here, come on, think about it a moment.  100% Pure Salt(iness) over the NES and SNES CE.  I'm sure you noticed how Hakchi2 alone using their own emulator allowed nearly the entire library to work stock on their own work.  ROMS, hundreds, they can potentially and their partners charge your $5 or more each to play individually.  And you have those guys making it idiot proof to load free.  Yeah, they would clearly have no reason to cut the data lines from USB after the use the last USB port got used for. 😄

10 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Nintendo doubled down on this one. It's a shame that the USB-C port is only for charging and apparently the data pins aren't connected to the processor 😞

So yeah, although it's already been hacked at this point (it was actually hacked before release) it won't be possible to flash it via the USB port and you'll have to open the device up to modify it.

Why would they go through all this effort to prevent modifications? I feel like allowing for easy hacking would only help the sales of your product. The classic systems even went as far as having a "secret" message only accesible by modifying the device and connecting to a pc.

This guy proved the pins are connected to the processor and hacked the device. It’s a cool video if you want to totally nerd out lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Oh easy answer here, come on, think about it a moment.  100% Pure Salt(iness) over the NES and SNES CE.  I'm sure you noticed how Hakchi2 alone using their own emulator allowed nearly the entire library to work stock on their own work.  ROMS, hundreds, they can potentially and their partners charge your $5 or more each to play individually.  And you have those guys making it idiot proof to load free.  Yeah, they would clearly have no reason to cut the data lines from USB after the use the last USB port got used for. 😄

Theres already enough handheld devices and hackable consoles out there that have ability to play roms that it’s not really doing them much help revenue-wise to block roms on this device, especially consider that it’s a niche item. They’d do much better to continue going after the rom sites and distribution of rom devices on marketplaces. 

I think this is more a statement of their stance on roms.

I was initially kind of excited to hack one of these but after realizing I probably have a dozen hacked devices that it's becoming more or less pointless. Especially coming in at $80 I don't really want to buy a 2nd one to throw 2 or 3 games on it. After I hacked my PSP Go I never really went back to anything else anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah they all do, and it's kind of funny as it's not even like they were all shifted on some chart down one space, it's all randomly jacked up too.  It was a bigger error, not just someone hitting like one key stroke and dropping each off one.

Chosen language in title screen Language of song lyrics to be shown
French German
Spanish French
German Italian
Italian Spanish