IGNORED

Should I get the PC Engine Mini?

Alex Nguyen

Now I'm interested in getting the mini console because I have heard so many good things about the PC Engine line up of games. However I was debating on getting it since it runs on emulation (which I gave Mario 3D Collection shit for) and I heard that there were some power connection issues. I would like to know, thank you.

Edited by Alex Nguyen
Add some extra specifics.

I've found it to be the best of all the mini consoles thus far. The game selection is great and filled with stuff I had never played or even heard of before. The emulation seems solid and I have not personally had any power issues, although I've heard rumblings.

I say do it!

Edited by DoctorEncore

I've bought nearly all of the mini consoles, but the TG16 Mini was the only one I've opened and played.  I definitely give them credit for giving everyone all of the available games regardless of which region you are in.  I thought that was a very good idea even though there are a few games with a language barrier.  I'm also glad they added a second controller port even though the original console only had one.  In my opinion, the TG16 Mini, or either of the PCE Minis are the best value for the money of any of the Mini consoles.  I kind of want to get the PCE and CG Mini models, but it's a lot of money to spend on something I won't actually use.  

• Like 1

I have the Turbografx version and I think it's great. I've had none of the issues with lag that I've seen some others complain about, and the unit itself is very high quality. I do wish it came with a power supply, but if you're buying from Amazon.co.jp you can pick up the official Hori AC adapter with your order and shouldn't have any problems with that. 

I don't think I could ever argue in favor of any of these mini consoles - as you say, it's just software emulation, so they don't actually give you anything outside of a cheap way to play the games legally.

That said, if that isn't your perspective, and you have no problem looking past that, then the PC Engine Mini is by far the best bang for your buck, beating out even the MegaDrive one. The lineup of games on it is incredibly good. So if that's what makes the difference for you, there you go.

• Like 1