IGNORED

Retron 77?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

I've been itching to start an Atari 2600 collection, but I'm not sure what route to take in the console-department. I have a Hyperkin Retron HD for NES and Super Retron HD for SNES, and I'm satisfied with those, so I was planning on getting a Retron 77 to play Atari 2600 through HDMI. But I've heard of several issues, like no audio running through an HDMI switcher and defaulting to 16:9 every time the system is powered-on.

Does anyone have a Retron 77 or other HDMI Atari 2600 solution that you could advise on?

-CasualCart

I haven't really heard of any other HDMI 2600 solutions which don't involve upconverting original systems or various clones.  However, one tick against the Retron 77 (despite me having been really excited about it when it was announced) is the fact that it apparently can't run carts which contain any additional hardware--Pitfall II, for example.  This points to the guts being a cheap clone SOAC instead of real 2600 guts or an FPGA implementation.  Metal Jesus had a really nice looking one-off portable  that somebody made and sent him that I believe offered HDMI out, but as I stated, it was a one-off and not something that was ever available elsewhere.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but OG console + RGB mod (does RGB, composite, and S-Video) + scaler (retrotink 2X or something similar).  You get full compatibility and original console.  I can understand if you don't want to go that route though. $$ and will take a while to get it all done.

I think @Splain or @Makar are big into 2600, maybe they have another answer for you.

9 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but OG console + RGB mod (does RGB, composite, and S-Video) + scaler (retrotink 2X or something similar).  You get full compatibility and original console.  I can understand if you don't want to go that route though. $$ and will take a while to get it all done.

I think @Splain or @Makar are big into 2600, maybe they have another answer for you.

Sorry @Deadeye and @CasualCart I don't actually own a 2600 or any Atari system for that matter. Never have and don't know too much about the games on the system. Splain might know though. Now if you have questions about the DS, I'm your guy lol.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to finally get into it, but upgrading your consoles for RGB, getting the cables and switches, and a good scaler (OSSC) will be the best option, always. I have upgraded every console I own to RGB (that wasn't already component or HDMI) except my CD-i and I am in heaven. I have been doing most of the mods myself and recently did a 2600 (4 switch Vader). My suggestion would be to get the 2600RGB board and a 4-Switch with a socketed CPU. There are plenty of guides for installation and members willing to help for a fee. It may sound like an initially expensive option but in the long run it pays off - especially as you add more consoles to your collection.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:12 AM, Deadeye said:

That's who it was.  I was throwing everyone's name from Survivor.

I haven't had any personal experience with the Retron 77, so I can't weigh in that. The route I opted for (and recommended to @Jeevan) was a 7800 system with an RGB mod. This way you can play the 2600 library with 99% compatibility and you also get the 7800 library which while small, still has quite a few excellent titles.

• Like 1