IGNORED

Foods people either love or hate

phart010

1 hour ago, AstralSoul said:

These repulsive demon seeds...

Nearly everyone I've met either really really loves them (gross!!!) Or really really hates them. (The correct answer). The amount of disgust I feel whenever I've had one in my mouth is incalculable.

Tomato_je.jpg

I think I've only had cherry tomatoes in salad. I can't say that I've ever eaten one by itself.

23 hours ago, Californication said:

Question: for the people that don't like mayo, does that mean you guys don't like deviled eggs either?

I can't stand mayo, but this is a good question.  The only foods I can eat that have mayo in it are deviled eggs and a Blue Cheese dip for wings, but only if the dip is about 75% blue cheese so it over-powers the mayo flavor.  For deviled eggs, my wife tends to make them for family gatherings, and she only adds enough to bind the yoke.  Her eggs are very mustard-heavy and even then, I take the deviled eggs, put a pickle chip on top and then douse it in Texas Pete.  It's the best thing on the cook out serving table!

Edited by RH

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I can't stand mayo, but this is a good question.  The only foods I can eat that have mayo in it are deviled eggs and a Blue Cheese dip for wings, buy only if the dip is about 75% blue cheese so it over-powers the mayo flavor.  For deviled eggs, my wife tends to make them for family gatherings, and she only adds enough to bind the yoke.  Her eggs are very mustard-heavy and even then, I take the deviled eggs, put a pickle chip on top and then douse it in Texas Pete.  It's the best thing on the cook out serving table!

That's how I remember them. There was probably twice as much mustard as mayo. It was basically just the glue to hold it altogether. Hot sauce is also the greatest of all condiments. It works on everything.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

These repulsive demon seeds...

Nearly everyone I've met either really really loves them (gross!!!) Or really really hates them. (The correct answer). The amount of disgust I feel whenever I've had one in my mouth is incalculable.

Tomato_je.jpg

23 hours ago, Link said:

😂 you know you’re not supposed to eat them like an apple, right?

I hate them too. I can't stand the texture.  Don't mind the taste in spaghetti sauces but if I find a chunk in my sauce it gets segregated out. Also Link, people do eat them like apples apparently that was a normal thing for my grandfathers generation as he tells me stories of him and his friends going out to a field to do just that. He still occasionally eats one like that and sprinkles a little salt on every bite.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did anyone say guacamole yet? I think its great, but I know people that can't stand it.

I'm not a fan, but I don't hate it.  It's more the texture.  In fact, I think it's less that people hate guacamole but rather they hate avacados.  I can't stand straight avacados, but when you add unions and seasonings to it mashed up, it's tolerable. I guess if you don't like the texture AND you think cilantro tastes bad, then maybe it's a one-two punch for some.

I'm sure it's the mouth-feel too.  Doritos made a guac chip once.  My wife swore it had a close enough, similar taste.  I loved those though.

46 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm not a fan, but I don't hate it.  It's more the texture.  In fact, I think it's less that people hate guacamole but rather they hate avacados.  I can't stand straight avacados, but when you add unions and seasonings to it mashed up, it's tolerable. I guess if you don't like the texture AND you think cilantro tastes bad, then maybe it's a one-two punch for some.

I'm sure it's the mouth-feel too.  Doritos made a guac chip once.  My wife swore it had a close enough, similar taste.  I loved those though.

I'm fairly indifferent to plain avocados, but I do really like fresh guacamole. I can see texture being an issue. I like chunky guacamole over when it's been pureed to the point that it has the consistency of butter. 

Editorials Team · Posted
On 10/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, Californication said:

I like sardines, but not on pizza. I think sardines lose a lot of their flavor on pizza and they taste more like a salt lick.

There is this Vietnamese recipe where they slowly fry the canned tuna, drying it out until it is light brown and flaky. You store it in the fridge and you sprinkle it on your rice with some soy sauce/butter; it's pretty good.

I think coconut can be divisive. Personally I like fresh coconut, but that dried coconut they put on/in candy is not good.

Question: for the people that don't like mayo, does that mean you guys don't like deviled eggs either?

I make them sans-mayo (greek yogurt)

But, no I'm fine with it.  Same with egg salad, tuna salad, etc.  As long as the taste of mayonnaise is muted or completely covered up by the rest of the ingredients.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:35 PM, Link said:

😂 you know you’re not supposed to eat them like an apple, right?

Some people do. But not even just that. If I order a burrito and they put diced tomatoes in there, I throw it out. I'm so disgusted by tomatoes that I bit into a burrito with tomatoes inside before checking that they weren't in there, and I almost puked. I can't do it. I can eat ketchup and spaghetti sauce but an actual tomato is a hard pass.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

Some people do. But not even just that. If I order a burrito and they put diced tomatoes in there, I throw it out. I'm so disgusted by tomatoes that I bit into a burrito with tomatoes inside before checking that they weren't in there, and I almost puked. I can't do it. I can eat ketchup and spaghetti sauce but an actual tomato is a hard pass.

Wow, man.  This is so tough to hear.  I mean, IMHO the tomato is the absolute best veggie or fruit, regardless of category you put it in.

We keep tomatoes around so I can dice them up, put a little salt and pepper on them and eat them after they've sat in the fridge for about 15 minutes.  It's one of my favorite snacks, and it's been that way since I was a kid.

When my friend was teaching me to drive scooter before I took my test, we'd go to the practice course. After practicing for awhile, he'd motion for me to come over, then I'd take a break and he would treat me to my two favourite things in the world, cherry tomatoes and a mug of 3 in 1 instant coffee.  Ugh on both parts.

Later I'd be visiting my friend at his bookstore and he asked his wife to prepare us some tomatoes for a snack. She told my friend that I didn't like tomatoes, then the truth came out, oops. Lol.

In reality, before moving to Taiwan, I hated tomatoes. Then I eventually learnt to accept cooked tomatoes, now I can eat cooked or raw, though the latter is definitely quite low on my list of choices. 

Cooked tomatoes though, now I love them, so often I'll use fresh tomatoes to make homemade pizza or pasta sauce, toss some tomatoes in as a garnish for my dinner, etc.

Never liked ketchup though. Maybe it was due to generally being kept cold in the fridge, or the grimey looking bottles at restaurants, or even the fart sounds it sometimes makes while coming out. Made some homemade ketchup to use on a meatloaf I made, loved it. Can eat store bought ketchup, but really dislike it, it might also be because it seems cheap quality, sort of like how I can eat hot dogs but don't like them, but do enjoy a better quality sausage.

Regarding deviled eggs, really dislike the taste of mustard, mayo, and deviled eggs. Nasty stuff, I'd probably be blowing chunks if I had to eat one.

I do not like pork and beef. I also am very strict and won't eat anything artificial or with harmful preservatives. Yes, I've been fast food free pretty much 12 years now. I am sure I have annoyed a lot of people lol. I also cannot stand ketchup, like even the sight of it makes me sick. I like tomatoes so much though and blood too...oh wait. Olives are something I also cannot stand too it's probably the most thing I dislike.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Wow, man.  This is so tough to hear.  I mean, IMHO the tomato is the absolute best veggie or fruit, regardless of category you put it in.

We keep tomatoes around so I can dice them up, put a little salt and pepper on them and eat them after they've sat in the fridge for about 15 minutes.  It's one of my favorite snacks, and it's been that way since I was a kid.

Hey to each their own. Not saying they shouldn't exist but just don't put any on my plate 😜 lol

• Like 1

@RH, @Richardhead, @Hammerfestus : If i can find these again, I'll grab four bags, send one to each of you, likely with some other Taiwanense foods, and keep one for myself to try. All 100% free of charge.

The only thing I ask is that everyone make a video and post it here , eating the chips, you can do it with family or friends, by yourself, whatever. But a video here for everyone here to see. I'll likewise do the same, as I'd never ask of others what I'm not willing to do myself.

If you're in, please send me a message, we will take it from there 🙂

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

@RH, @Richardhead, @Hammerfestus : If i can find these again, I'll grab four bags, send one to each of you, likely with some other Taiwanense foods, and keep one for myself to try. All 100% free of charge.

The only thing I ask is that everyone make a video and post it here , eating the chips, you can do it with family or friends, by yourself, whatever. But a video here for everyone here to see. I'll likewise do the same, as I'd never ask of others what I'm not willing to do myself.

If you're in, please send me a message, we will take it from there 🙂

Deal!

• Like 1