IGNORED

Foods people either love or hate

phart010

Moderator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It's also apparently extremely salty. Never personally tried it (are you crazy?), but I had it described in excruciating detail.

Yeah, and all the bones and everything are in it. This is a video of my buddy that actually ate 2 pieces and drank the juice. 

Just had sardines tonight for a little brain food before I went out.  Looped Dig Dug and then some at the Arcade Bar for the 2nd time.  Could there be a connection?  

Cilantro is amazing - never heard of this soap thing before...

Anchovies are perhaps the most delicious fish in the world.

Cream Soda - could take it or leave it.

I used to go through phases of eating nothing but sushi all day everyday and I miss it.

blue cheese = good cuz it's cheese, same with limburger.

Used to be crazy about pineapple on pizza, still think it's good

just finished eating liverwurst

Cuttle fish is good, just don't eat it when you're drunk

Still have never had Haggis, totally wanna try it.

You gotta do Surströmming right.  Open the can under water, away from the dinner table.  Wrap it up in flat bread with onion and potato (also, clean the remaining guts out of it first.)

I'll throw this one out there:  Beef liver.  Only way I know to make it work is to fry up a shit-ton of onions, each mouthful has to be about 70% onions...

Anyone ever eat tripe?

What about brains?

Edited by PII
addition

2 hours ago, PII said:

Cilantro is amazing - never heard of this soap thing before...

Yeah, it's totally a thing. Not everyone experiences it, though.

2 hours ago, PII said:

Anyone ever eat tripe?

Yes. It's not as bad as its reputation, but still an acquired taste.

How about insects. Apparently in some countries, grasshoppers are more expensive than ham because they can't catch enough to keep up with demand.

We'll probably see more people eat insects in the future, as they're a cheap source of protein for a growing population. (If you think it's gross, lobster used to be so gross only poor people and prisoners ate it; now you pay like $50 for a lobster dinner.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, it's totally a thing. Not everyone experiences it, though.

Yes. It's not as bad as its reputation, but still an acquired taste.

How about insects. Apparently in some countries, grasshoppers are more expensive than ham because they can't catch enough to keep up with demand.

We'll probably see more people eat insects in the future, as they're a cheap source of protein for a growing population. (If you think it's gross, lobster used to be so gross only poor people and prisoners ate it; now you pay like $50 for a lobster dinner.)

I've heard (though not verified) that there is a law on the books in Main that "prisoners shall not have lobster more than three times a week" because it was so cheap and easy to get, they were basically fed lobster for about every meal before the law was given, and that was considered cruel and unusual punishment.

22 minutes ago, Estil said:

I honestly thought anchovies were just a joke sort of pizza topping.  You know, like just a TV/gag sort of thing?

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but it turns out Anchovy Pizza is quite possibly the first pizza. So, anchovies are basically as authentic Italian pizza as it gets, even if it's not to the liking of most of us.

For me as a kid in the south, I'd only heard of it on TV. My guess is that it's a bit more popular in NY since there is/was still a strong Italian population from the early migrations from the 1890s-1920s. There continual influence of NY must have influenced the writers that were based out of NY.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doctornick said:

I tried anchovies on pizza and it honestly wasn't that bad.  As far as mayo goes, that stuff is disgusting too.  My wife and I can't even eat egg/potato salad because of the mayo involved.

My dad would make potato salad when I was a kid and he always used Miracle Whip salad dressing instead because he couldn't stand mayo either.

I like sardines, but not on pizza. I think sardines lose a lot of their flavor on pizza and they taste more like a salt lick.

There is this Vietnamese recipe where they slowly fry the canned tuna, drying it out until it is light brown and flaky. You store it in the fridge and you sprinkle it on your rice with some soy sauce/butter; it's pretty good.

I think coconut can be divisive. Personally I like fresh coconut, but that dried coconut they put on/in candy is not good.

Question: for the people that don't like mayo, does that mean you guys don't like deviled eggs either?