IGNORED

Super Mario 35: Mario Royale

fox

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

You've just gotten used to it. Like how we used to think the controls on Goldeneye were good. You've been lied to my friend.

Lol mayhaps. Up to a 14% win rate now with the joycons. You are right though. GoldenEye has horrible controls. It has not aged well at all. 

After a few games I got a lot of the answers I was looking for.

I'd like to add to Checken and Makar's comments with a few of the details I was hoping for:

Coins have no effect on the current game outside of the item roulette.
They do work as your reward for beating a match, and add to your level ranking though. So I find that going for maximizing your coin count and trying to never use the item roulette while still winning, is a fun way to add some needed challenge to the game.

Also, there's really no way to play "offensively", all you can do most of the time is really hope that you get the means to have your timer run out after the other player once you reach the point where it ticks down super fast and inevitable ends the round.
The game's 
biggest problem is usually that there's no real reason to play the more challenging stages. Repeating 1-1 and 1-2 is a winning strategy, and most rounds will have those appearing a ton.

If the game had a way to challenge yourself further to put more pressure on your opponent, it could have been really great.

On 10/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, Makar said:

Always use a mushroom or fire flower. 

This isn't documented clearly, but it turns out that if you *dont* pick anything for your "load out", your number of collected cons doubles at the end of a match, so I'd actually say never pick an item at the start of a round.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Gloves said:

The precision of control is just garbage, after years of using Playstation controllers.

I'm not sure what makes you say that. My thumb hurts after a while of playing due to the nature of the D-pad buttons, but as for precision control, I'm having absolutely no issues, and I'm not sure what I'd change. What are you struggling with in this game?

I’ve never liked the joycons. My hands hurt after one day of using them on my first Switch game (Cave Story) so I got a pro controller right away and play only with that.

As far as this game, I got a lot better once I figured out the powerup request. Playing without using it was a big handicap. I’m still not great. Haven’t made top 5 yet. I think the biggest challenge for me is the narrow screen. Not as easy to see what’s coming. That on top of the randomness gets me. I take my time in OG SMB1, and the extra enemies and short timer don’t allow for that. 

As far as targeting others, I usually try to point at players who are obviously on different stages than most people, but it’s hard to do any more than that and also pay attention to my screen.

Edited by Link
typo

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

After a few games I got a lot of the answers I was looking for.

I'd like to add to Checken and Makar's comments with a few of the details I was hoping for:

Coins have no effect on the current game outside of the item roulette.
They do work as your reward for beating a match, and add to your level ranking though. So I find that going for maximizing your coin count and trying to never use the item roulette while still winning, is a fun way to add some needed challenge to the game.

Also, there's really no way to play "offensively", all you can do most of the time is really hope that you get the means to have your timer run out after the other player once you reach the point where it ticks down super fast and inevitable ends the round.
The game's 
biggest problem is usually that there's no real reason to play the more challenging stages. Repeating 1-1 and 1-2 is a winning strategy, and most rounds will have those appearing a ton.

If the game had a way to challenge yourself further to put more pressure on your opponent, it could have been really great.

This isn't documented clearly, but it turns out that if you *dont* pick anything for your "load out", your number of collected cons doubles at the end of a match, so I'd actually say never pick an item at the start of a round.

I'm not sure what makes you say that. My thumb hurts after a while of playing due to the nature of the D-pad buttons, but as for precision control, I'm having absolutely no issues, and I'm not sure what I'd change. What are you struggling with in this game?

I recommend the mushroom or fire flower power up before the game because it gives you a nice advantage for the rest of the game. You either get a quick 15 second bonus right off the bat, or you get a fire flower right off the bat. But if you want more coins, then challenge yourself and don't use an item.

Given games were actually likely to start on something like 8-4 or 7-2, then taking a fire flower to start out would make a lot of sense, but with 1-1 starts which seem to be pretty much unavoidable as it is, you'll get a fire flower naturally before you run into any enemies that could really be an obstacle (because other players will only be able to send goombas at you at best).

If you don't care about the points in the end (which are basically the reward for winning, though) of course go ahead and pick whatever, but I don't think getting a +15 sec bonus early on is going to make a notable difference on your chances of winning. You're gonna hit the 400 sec limit anyway for sure. I guess at best, maybe starting out with one will allow you to get ahead faster and get more points early on, which ties into the "strategy" I posted in the other thread.

Honestly I think the feature is only there to help beginner players not just die right off the bat.

Just now, Kguillemette said:

Going to 4/1 near the endgame is my the strategy for getting a late KO. Trying to time some garbage hammer bros or bowser's with multiple spinys or lakitus is lethal. Or at least it seems to kill me every time as I haven't had a win yet. I am the king of the second place finish.

Also, I admit it, I was wrong. I'm addicted now!

Like some of you, I think I've finally cracked the code to winning this game. I've adopted some of @Sumez' strategy with really pushing for coins in the early part of the game. Every coin matters, especially at the end when there are 20+ enemies on the screen at once and you need to recover quickly multiple times in a row. 

IMG_20201015_193610183.thumb.jpg.09fdae663e28c7835c13bf2b6a32401a.jpg

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Makar said:

Like some of you, I think I've finally cracked the code to winning this game. I've adopted some of @Sumez' strategy with really pushing for coins in the early part of the game.

Glad to hear that's working, and it's not just a "coincidence" for me.
At the end of the day, winning a match isn't so much about surviving the top 30 spots, it's about being the last when only two of you are left. So I figured preparing for that is the core of the game.

Speaking of which, I had a game yesterday where I literally died to the first goomba.

Like a grandma.

Edited by Sumez

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Glad to hear that's working, and it's not just a "coincidence" for me.
At the end of the day, winning a match isn't so much about surviving the top 30 spots, it's about being the last when only two of you are left. So I figured preparing for that is the core of the game.

Speaking of which, I had a game yesterday where I literally died to the first goomba.

Like a grandma.

Yea I've found that at the beginning I focus on coins and getting my time up as quickly as possible. Then I focus solely on coins and topping off my time to constantly stay at 400. Then once the time starts speeding up I only focus on time. I've found that strategy and going to stages 1-1 and 1-2 as much as possible works very well. Boring yet effective strategy. 

And it happens lol. I've died on bad jumps many many times.

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Makar said:

I've died on bad jumps many many times.

That's probably the cause of 90% of the deaths I've had in this game XD It's amazing how easy it is to screw up a jump after so many years of Super Mario experience.

I really want to see a fix in the upcoming months that somehow causes 1-1 and 1-2 to appear less often in the stage sets. Something similar to the new modes that were added into Tetris 99 after a while.

Though I guess it's very likely they are saving that until after the date when this game officially "expires". I'm sure they're considering/planning doing a full on retial release after that.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

That's probably the cause of 90% of the deaths I've had in this game XD It's amazing how easy it is to screw up a jump after so many years of Super Mario experience.

I really want to see a fix in the upcoming months that somehow causes 1-1 and 1-2 to appear less often in the stage sets. Something similar to the new modes that were added into Tetris 99 after a while.

Though I guess it's very likely they are saving that until after the date when this game officially "expires". I'm sure they're considering/planning doing a full on retial release after that.

There are so many things they could do with this game. It has a lot of potential. They could also do one for smb2 and 3. The KO system especially needs a lot of work. Most games I get 0 KOs. And the level system is extremely broken. You shouldn't be able to just repeat 1-1 and 1-2 all day long to easily win. 

I played this yesterday again for a bit and the matches were way longer and a lot more people sticking around for a while compared to when it first came out. Not sure if match making or if people are just getting better at the game. Found the games dragged for a while... still think they need to make it more challenging with the final 5 players to make the games go faster.

2 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I played this yesterday again for a bit and the matches were way longer and a lot more people sticking around for a while compared to when it first came out. Not sure if match making or if people are just getting better at the game. Found the games dragged for a while... still think they need to make it more challenging with the final 5 players to make the games go faster.

I agree.  The last session I played (around a week ago) I managed to get 5/6th place for a few games, but each game took about 25-30 minutes.  The top-tiers were just going on and on. I do enjoy this game but as I mentioned, only in quick spirts of gameplay.  If I were to get better, I don't think I'd want to have to spend an hour+ on a given round.  It feels like it defeats the purpose.

I'm not sure what they can really do, though, other than making the timer count down faster.  If you throw more enemies at the players, eventually you can easily hop from enemy to enemy, and each on in a chain increases your time.  The only option you have with the current mechanic is to make one in-game second speed up faster.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I agree.  The last session I played (around a week ago) I managed to get 5/6th place for a few games, but each game took about 25-30 minutes.  The top-tiers were just going on and on. I do enjoy this game but as I mentioned, only in quick spirts of gameplay.  If I were to get better, I don't think I'd want to have to spend an hour+ on a given round.  It feels like it defeats the purpose.

I'm not sure what they can really do, though, other than making the timer count down faster.  If you throw more enemies at the players, eventually you can easily hop from enemy to enemy, and each on in a chain increases your time.  The only option you have with the current mechanic is to make one in-game second speed up faster.

Yeah even if the timer was faster or something with the top 5 it would help. The game I won I wanna say was 20+ min... way too long for that format with the repeating levels.

25-30 minutes seemed to be the standard for most rounds when I started playing a few weeks ago. Actually I've only had my shortest rounds recently. I even had one or two that never made it into red numbers.

And I agree - my absolute first point of criticism was that the game did nothing to escalate the level when fewer players are left, which is definitely something I hope they'll work on.

Edited by Sumez

8 hours ago, RH said:

I think the best thing they could do to fix the game is get rid of being able to repeat 1-1 and 1-2 over and over again. Make players have to go through all the levels, progressing by 1 level each time. I also think you should get KOs when you are targeting a player and that player falls off the stage. Right now I believe you only get a KO if they die from an enemy you send to them. I think the amount of enemies you send should increase each time you get a KO. if you have 1 KO and you stomp 1 goomba, that should send 2 goombas to your opponent. I also think maybe they should have the coin system be you choose what to buy and each item costs different amounts. Kind of like how it is before you start a match. 

Oh and I'm really surprised your guys' matches last so long. When I win, the match usually lasts 14-18 minutes with the very rare 20 minute match. 

Edited by Makar

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Finally got a win this morning! I just needed to outlast some Japanese guy with more time. A couple well timed star men into some strings of enemies kept me over 300 seconds when the timer turned red. 

Congrats on your first win! That's awesome!

Anyone get into any Lakitu battles in this game?  Something similar happened to me last night while playing the weekend "special battle" where the levels are picked by the game instead of the players (survived the attack, but ended up 3rd after the red timer ran out on me).

Edited by rdrunner