IGNORED

Super Mario 35: Mario Royale

fox

3 hours ago, Makar said:

Lol yea. I win just under 20% of my Tetris 99 matches (over 500 matches played). Right now I'm winning like 5% of my Mario 35 matches. Maybe I just haven't fully figured out the tricks for Mario 35 though. Like when you KO someone in Mario 35, do you get their coins? Does more KOs mean you send more garbage enemies to your opponents? Lots of stuff is not explained.

The way that I’ve found to win is to just pace yourself. Don’t go to fast. Always keep the fire flower so you can kill bowsers. But don’t use the fire flower all the time, you only get 1 second for killing an enemy with the fire.

Instead, just wait for lines of enemy’s and then combo jump on them. You’ll get time multipliers for every successive enemy you stomp on, you’ll have 400 seconds in no time. Mario’s jumps in this game are more like Mario 2 (lost levels) than Mario 1, he has way more control. If you tap A just before landing on the enemy he’ll do a high jump so it’s easy to combo.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:42 PM, Hammerfestus said:

Downloaded it this evening.  Died almost immediately the first match because the default jump and run buttons aren’t where I expected them. Then I got 6th.   Only played twice.

There's an option to change the button configs.

9 hours ago, phart010 said:

The way that I’ve found to win is to just pace yourself. Don’t go to fast. Always keep the fire flower so you can kill bowsers. But don’t use the fire flower all the time, you only get 1 second for killing an enemy with the fire.

Instead, just wait for lines of enemy’s and then combo jump on them. You’ll get time multipliers for every successive enemy you stomp on, you’ll have 400 seconds in no time. Mario’s jumps in this game are more like Mario 2 (lost levels) than Mario 1, he has way more control. If you tap A just before landing on the enemy he’ll do a high jump so it’s easy to combo.

Thanks! I was doing that stuff already. Still only have 1 win. What I don't get is when does the timer start decreasing dramatically? It seems to be steady most of the match then just decides to deplete at a very rapid rate. Is it more beneficial to keep going to a level with Bowser to send Bowser to your opponent? Is it more beneficial to just do the first couple of levels over and over? Are there any bonuses for KOing people? 

Like in Tetris 99, every 2 KOs you get up until 8 KOs, you send an extra 25% of garbage to your opponent for the rest of the match. Is that how Mario 35 is, but maybe just for every 1 KO? 

27 minutes ago, Makar said:

Thanks! I was doing that stuff already. Still only have 1 win. What I don't get is when does the timer start decreasing dramatically? It seems to be steady most of the match then just decides to deplete at a very rapid rate. Is it more beneficial to keep going to a level with Bowser to send Bowser to your opponent? Is it more beneficial to just do the first couple of levels over and over? Are there any bonuses for KOing people? 

Like in Tetris 99, every 2 KOs you get up until 8 KOs, you send an extra 25% of garbage to your opponent for the rest of the match. Is that how Mario 35 is, but maybe just for every 1 KO? 

I’ve always been winning on time. Just keep my time at 400 or as high a possible and everyone else seems to just die after a while. I’m not speed running or anything, just taking my time, being careful and being very good about getting jump combos.

It’s pretty crazy, I feel like I’m really good at Mario now.. But I think I just found a particularly good working strategy for the given set of rules

I unlocked some of the later levels and if you kill hammer bros. and lots of piranhas with fire you win pretty fast. Between that, combo multipliers with shells/jumps, knowing the 1-up and extra power-up locations, and just taking your time on trickier jumps you are gonna dominate most of the lobbies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, phart010 said:

I’ve always been winning on time. Just keep my time at 400 or as high a possible and everyone else seems to just die after a while. I’m not speed running or anything, just taking my time, being careful and being very good about getting jump combos.

It’s pretty crazy, I feel like I’m really good at Mario now.. But I think I just found a particularly good working strategy for the given set of rules

Gotcha. Normally now when I die it's because I run out of time. Even if I have 300-400 seconds most of the match, that evaporates in seconds when it's down to me and the last person. 

I did answer one of my own questions, you DO get the coins from anyone you KO.

Finally got another win. That felt good. Then lost to a dude who had over 3000 coins.

Up to 3 wins now, so 1/10 matches is a win. Getting the hang of it for sure. Just gotta wrack up a couple KOs, goomba stomp like crazy and send a Bowser or two to your opponents. I am fairly certain you not only get the coins from the person you KO, but also any remaining time they had. My time shot up by 150 seconds when I KOd someone. 

IMG_20201006_182349816.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I enjoy the chaos of a giant string of garbage enemies and running through them with a starman! Other than that I found it kinda meh. I guess it's mildly amusing. If you have any mario skill, it is very hard to not rank a top 10 as long as you take your time and avoid big mistakes.

Even though this was my initial response, and I still kind of feel this way, most of the games I've been trying to play lately have been time sinks, so I keep gravitating to this for a pick-up-and-put-down quick gaming session.  I think it's a great game to play when you have about 10-15 minutes.  Of course, I never make it to #1 and I have to say, the best I've done is about 5th or 6th and those were 10 minute rounds.  How long does it take to win, on average?

15 minutes ago, RH said:

Even though this was my initial response, and I still kind of feel this way, most of the games I've been trying to play lately have been time sinks, so I keep gravitating to this for a pick-up-and-put-down quick gaming session.  I think it's a great game to play when you have about 10-15 minutes.  Of course, I never make it to #1 and I have to say, the best I've done is about 5th or 6th and those were 10 minute rounds.  How long does it take to win, on average?

I must have been getting lucky. Was playing on day 1 and couldn’t stop winning. Now everyone must have gotten better because I can’t seem to win anymore.

Keep on losing in second or third place. I think people are starting to play this more strategically as opposed to just running along.

One thing you cAn do is use the left analog stick to choose exactly who you want to target. Or you can go after the guy with the most coins with the right analog stick. If he’s the last one remaining then he’ll keep using his coins to power back up. Keep an eye on the little screens and make sure they are not at a point where they will be finding a Star before you send a lot of enemies their way

22 hours ago, RH said:

How do you send enemies? I just assumed if you were doing "better" (whatever that meant) you'd send more baddies to whomever you selected.

When you stomp on an enemy or shoot fireballs at them, the enemy you defeated gets sent to whoever you're targeting. 

I also discovered some stuff that helped me get my best win so far with 4 KOs. The most time you can have is 400 seconds. So it's advantageous to wait to kill enemies so that you can get your timer up to 400 seconds consistently. I also figured out that the timer only goes faster when you're taking too long to get through a level. It has nothing to do with how many people are targeting you or how many people are left in the game. I'm thinking of making a tips and tricks guide since there doesn't seem to be a good one on the internet that encompasses everything.

Late to the party on this, played just a couple of games and jumped to level 40 nearly immediately, which I guess is fair going in as an experienced Mario player. I'm sure there are tons of people around my level, but I can also imagine someone who's never played Mario failing miserably at this. Knowing the stages and mechanics really helps.

Though, since the actual controls and physics are notably different from the original game, it took quite a few tries for me to beat that muscle memory and not die almost immediately. I do think the new physics make sense for this kind of game though, so it's all fine. It seems to be rather similar to Mario Maker if I'm not mistaken?

So I guess, since the game doesn't do a whole lot to tell you, I have a few questions I don't know if anyone can answer:

• Do the coins do anything outside of allowing you to throw them at the random power-up (which feels insanely OP tbh)?
  • What do the coins by the chest icon in the lower right do?
  • As long as you have a fireflower, the screen can fill up completely with enemies without getting much harder really. It feels like the only way to really die is just to screw up on your own accord. After getting the hang of it the only games I didn't win were due to me just doing something stupid like jumping right into a hole, and some of the ones I won just went on foreeeeever, I guess waiting for one of us to make a mistake like that.
    I guess what I'm getting at, am I missing a "higher difficulty", is there a way to push the challenge of the game for greater rewards/attacks etc., and finish off your opponent fast?
  • In that line of thought, what dictates the kind of "attacks" you send to the opponents? Like, what causes bowser or hammer brothers to appear instead of goombas, and so on?
  • And does various ways of attacking enemies make a difference? Jumping on goombas in succession gives you a lot more time bonus than shooting them, and the star or koopa shells seem to give a bonus there as well. But since time seems to never be an issue at all anyway, does that strategy also reflect the best way to attack opponents? Just picking up a star and running through hordes of enemies feels a little "too easy".
  • What effect does the stage you pick in the beginning even have? More unlock as you encounter them in the game as far as I can tell, but you always start on 1-1.
  • Essentially, is there any reason to not just keep picking 1-1 in the warp zone and going for massive star kills over and over again? Seems like 1-1 also doesn't have as many situations where a hammer brother can spawn in an unfortunate location.
Edited by Sumez

Looks like an update was released. I haven't noticed any differences, but apparently a few bugs were fixed.

I noticed some glitches before (not sure if they've been fixed):

-Sometimes I couldn't shoot fireballs for a few seconds. I understand that the game only allows two on the screen at once, but occasionally I couldn't shoot fireballs at all even when there were none on the screen.

-In 1-3, as regular Mario, I touched a Hammer Brother and received a Fire Flower at the same time. Mario transformed, but I still lost.

-Something really memorable (and unexpected) happened on my 70th win: there was only one other player left, and I ran out of time. Right before the results appeared, the other player screwed up (KO'd) and I got first place. I don't know if this is actually a glitch, but it hasn't happened to me since.

Edited by MegaMan52

Administrator · Posted

I played a few rounds handheld. I feel like I suck, but at the same time, it damn near had me making a new thread titled "Joy Cons suck as controllers" or something. The precision of control is just garbage, after years of using Playstation controllers.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 1:45 AM, Sumez said:

Late to the party on this, played just a couple of games and jumped to level 40 nearly immediately, which I guess is fair going in as an experienced Mario player. I'm sure there are tons of people around my level, but I can also imagine someone who's never played Mario failing miserably at this. Knowing the stages and mechanics really helps.

Though, since the actual controls and physics are notably different from the original game, it took quite a few tries for me to beat that muscle memory and not die almost immediately. I do think the new physics make sense for this kind of game though, so it's all fine. It seems to be rather similar to Mario Maker if I'm not mistaken?

So I guess, since the game doesn't do a whole lot to tell you, I have a few questions I don't know if anyone can answer:

• Do the coins do anything outside of allowing you to throw them at the random power-up (which feels insanely OP tbh)?
  • What do the coins by the chest icon in the lower right do?
  • As long as you have a fireflower, the screen can fill up completely with enemies without getting much harder really. It feels like the only way to really die is just to screw up on your own accord. After getting the hang of it the only games I didn't win were due to me just doing something stupid like jumping right into a hole, and some of the ones I won just went on foreeeeever, I guess waiting for one of us to make a mistake like that.
    I guess what I'm getting at, am I missing a "higher difficulty", is there a way to push the challenge of the game for greater rewards/attacks etc., and finish off your opponent fast?
  • In that line of thought, what dictates the kind of "attacks" you send to the opponents? Like, what causes bowser or hammer brothers to appear instead of goombas, and so on?
  • And does various ways of attacking enemies make a difference? Jumping on goombas in succession gives you a lot more time bonus than shooting them, and the star or koopa shells seem to give a bonus there as well. But since time seems to never be an issue at all anyway, does that strategy also reflect the best way to attack opponents? Just picking up a star and running through hordes of enemies feels a little "too easy".
  • What effect does the stage you pick in the beginning even have? More unlock as you encounter them in the game as far as I can tell, but you always start on 1-1.
  • Essentially, is there any reason to not just keep picking 1-1 in the warp zone and going for massive star kills over and over again? Seems like 1-1 also doesn't have as many situations where a hammer brother can spawn in an unfortunate location.

@ChickenTendas already answered a lot of these but I'll touch on them as I'm about to make a thread about all this for everyone. 

Coins are used to get a star, pow block, mushroom or fire flower in game for 20 coins each time. What you get is randomized. You can also use coins before the game even starts to start with a mushroom, star, or fire flower. They all have different costs. Always use a mushroom or fire flower. 

Coins in the chest are what you get if you get 1st place. You can use these to buy one of those 3 items before the game starts. 

You can't stand in one spot forever. Your timer starts speeding up like crazy if you do this. You gotta keep moving. 

You can attack whoever you want. I always have mine set for attackers because that's the only way for you to send enemies to multiple opponents at the same time. If someone is targeting you, whatever enemy they kill gets sent to you. Not sure exactly how the placement of enemies works but I suspect the game decides where to place the enemies on your levels. 

It doesn't matter how you kill an enemy. It'll still get sent to your opponent if you stomp on it or fireball it to death. It's actually strategic towards the end to NOT send as many enemies to your opponent so that they can't get as much bonus time. 

Think of the stage you select just like the stage you would select in Mario kart 8 when playing online. The stage selection is randomized. Whatever is picked is what you'll start on. Most people don't even realize you can choose a stage other than 1-1 so most people stay on 1-1. That's why you almost always start on 1-1. I HAVE started on stage 1-2 once when I picked it. So you CAN start on a stage other than 1-1. 

I always go back to 1-1 when I beat 1-2. 1-1 has a great area to combo tons of goombas, there's an easy 1up, there's a star, and there are tons of coins. Always go back to 1-1 when you beat 1-2. I will say there have been a few times when I go down the 1-1 pipe after beating 1-2 and I don't go back to 1-1. Not sure why that happens tbh. 

17 hours ago, Gloves said:

I played a few rounds handheld. I feel like I suck, but at the same time, it damn near had me making a new thread titled "Joy Cons suck as controllers" or something. The precision of control is just garbage, after years of using Playstation controllers.

Huh I only play this with joycons and I've never had a problem. Controls work great.

• Like 1