IGNORED

Asian Region PS1 Games

fcgamer

Recently I've been getting interested in collecting disk-based games, for the Taiwan/Asia region of course, if I find them cheap while out and about.

With stuff like XBox or even PS2, it's easy, the packages have Chinese text on them. But for PS1 stuff, unless the game actually features Chinese text in-game, I can't find anything to distinguish it from a Japanese release. I mean I know some releases had these large stickers on them, but it doesn't help much when most of the games I find aren't sealed...

So that's my question. How can I tell if a PS1 game is for the Asia region, rather than for the Japanese region? Is there a different barcode or part number? Something else I should be looking for? Or are all the releases 100% the same?

Thanks.

IMG20200927233629.jpg

I'm taking a look at some of my Asian versions and here are some of the differences I see:

Different product IDs

No barcode on the Asian ones

The warning on the back is in English

The other text on the back may all be in English

Japanese Version says "USE IN JAPAN ONLY" while Asian version says "FOR HOME USE ONLY"

A second manual is included written in Chinese and English

• Thanks 1

Took some pics, should be good reference for you. Asian release on the left and japanese release on the right

spacer.png

spacer.png

As mentioned by Red, you can easily tell by checking the back, there are warnings in english, and it usually says "For Home Use Only", where the japanese versions have "For Japan Only". Some asia releases have a yellow label instead of a white one (where you see the disc and manual languages)

Edited by leonemesis
Links were not working, had to add pics in full size
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spacepup said:

Most Asian releases have Sony Serials of the format SCPS 45XXX.

Many of the Asian releases match (1:1 data) the Japan releases, though there are some that differ.

Any pictures of those that don't use the aforementioned serials, which I could reference?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think having SCPS always means it's an Asian version.  spacepup mentioned that SCPS is usually followed by 45 in Asian versions and that Parappa doesn't have the 45.  I'd assume that's just the regular Japanese release.  I seem to have a few SCPS games that don't have any of the signs of being an Asian release.

• 2 years later...
Administrator · Posted
16 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Does anyone know of a source that has a comprehensive list of these?

I've compiled a list of what I believe to be likely the most comprehensive out there, regarding PS1 Asian releases.  See below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xvKlUe9AbR7Dr9BY86mfQCbtRJMs6wzanDzdTQg6MKw/edit?usp=sharing

It is currently sorted by serial and the "gaps" in serials for unknown releases (which may or may not even exist) are highlighted in gray.  

There is a link to the relevant redump.org entry if the title has been documented there.  

Column F marks a confirmation that the data on the disc matches 1:1 to at least one existing Japan release.

I can't guarantee all the information is 100% accurate, but it should be a pretty decent list of these.  If you happen to find any proof for games that are a serial currently in gray on this list, I would very much appreciate even just that information so I can keep it updated.

I'm working on organizing all the data I've collected regarding (mostly non-US) PlayStation releases, and would love to share anything and everything as I get things together.

Hope this helps!

• Love 1

Thanks for sharing this @spacepup That is amazing!!!

I've only found maybe fifteen or twenty of these games thus far, as I've only been collecting them for a couple years and they aren't particularly easy to find anymore; therefore I can't really add much to your list, in terms of missing entries, though I am receiving one in the mail probably next week, namely 45150, which is missing from your list. Please see the attached photo.

I'll go down later and see if I can fill in any of the details regarding the languages / inserts, though likely I'll do that next week after my parents go back home.

150.png

I responded to you in another thread where you mentioned about Asian PS1, but never heard back from you.  You mentioned you have some Japanese PS1 games that were released in Asia that had stickers on them indicating they are for Asian regions, so if you could share these that would be great.

Edited by Achoo

2 hours ago, Achoo said:

I responded to you in another thread where you mentioned about Asian PS1, but never heard back from you.  You mentioned you have some Japanese PS1 games that were released in Asia that had stickers on them indicating they are for Asian regions, so if you could share these that would be great.

I had read your comment but then forgot about it. I haven't been on much as my family is visiting.

Anyways, here's an example:

I've got this and a dance dance game for sale (also Asian version) if you're interested 

IMG20230209134318.jpg

IMG20230209134325.jpg

IMG20230209134351.jpg

IMG20230209134419.jpg

1 hour ago, Achoo said:

Oh thanks for sharing man, that's cool!  I've seen that sticker about a few times, but it is normally on actual Asian releases.  Never seen it on a Japanese release before.

I've seen it on several Japanese releases, but never on Asian releases. The text on the sticker suggests that this would only be placed on the Japanese versions of games when being sold, since they generally have the "For sale in Japan only" text on them, which would be negated when being sold in other countries as official releases / imports.

There is a database for PS1 made by redump which aims to dump and document all PS1 games. Asian releases are already filtered here:

http://redump.org/discs/system/psx/region/As/

If you want to have in-game language in Chinese or any of its dialects or have in-game language other than Japanese then I can tell you in practice this is really rare. This website also has a column for in-game language for each title. You can also find redump romset and download all or individual games and check them on emulators but of course I'm not linking it here for obvious reasons

There is also a list of undumped games and revisions and the list for PS1 Asia seems to be very extensive:

http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Sony_PlayStation_Asia_Missing_Games

Noel Not Digital Asia version is in there so what you have up there is an undumped title

Edited by BlackVega
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackVega said:

There is a database for PS1 made by redump which aims to dump and document all PS1 games. Asian releases are already filtered here:

http://redump.org/discs/system/psx/region/As/

If you want to have in-game language in Chinese or any of its dialects or have in-game language other than Japanese then I can tell you in practice this is really rare. This website also has a column for in-game language for each title. You can also find redump romset and download all or individual games and check them on emulators but of course I'm not linking it here for obvious reasons

There is also a list of undumped games and revisions and the list for PS1 Asia seems to be very extensive:

http://wiki.redump.org/index.php?title=Sony_PlayStation_Asia_Missing_Games

Noel Not Digital Asia version is in there so what you have up there is an undumped title

Yeah, it does seem that most of these just have Japanese disk data, though they also come with little English/Chinese translated sheet.

14 hours ago, Achoo said:

Oh thanks for sharing man, that's cool!  I've seen that sticker about a few times, but it is normally on actual Asian releases.  Never seen it on a Japanese release before.

Yep, my mistake.  I've only seen it on Japanese releases.  I have a couple sealed Asian games and none of them have it

• Like 1