IGNORED

Game Debate #16: Super Mario 64

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Rating explanations down below

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

18 hours ago, PII said:

N64 is still the only console I've ever bought the day it came out  .... when the pack-in is Mario64 it doesn't matter if there are NO other games available.

The N64 Didn't come with a pack-in the day it came out, at least not in my country (Canada).  But I do agree, when you've got Mario 64 to play through for the first time in 1996, it doesn't really matter that there are only two other games available...

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:04 PM, DefaultGen said:

I won't argue if you like it the least or anything, but Tiny Huge Island has the most coins of any level in the game! https://edp.org/sm64coin.htm

Make sure you're ground pounding the big goombas to get a blue coin. The big island goombas get you 45 coins alone. Running around the posts like the first level teaches you gets you another 10.

I did not realize that, about the big Goombas and running around the posts. After all these years of playing, then you learn something new. 

• Like 1

Guests · Posted

10/10 for me. I just recently started playing it again on my N64 and I think it holds up really well. That first time running around outside the castle is for sure one of my top 10 gaming experiences.

I remember how hyped I was back then for Mario in 3D (and for the console itself too)! I could barely believe it was happening and I was constantly flipping through my pamphlets absorbing everything I could about it.

I still have some of them (attached, text in Swedish).

mario64.jpg

14 minutes ago, Mumphy said:

10/10 for me. I just recently started playing it again on my N64 and I think it holds up really well. That first time running around outside the castle is for sure one of my top 10 gaming experiences.

I remember how hyped I was back then for Mario in 3D (and for the console itself too)! I could barely believe it was happening and I was constantly flipping through my pamphlets absorbing everything I could about it.

I still have some of them (attached, text in Swedish).

mario64.jpg

Seriously, the game started with playing around with Mario's face.  I am certain I messed around with that for at least 5 minutes but possibly up to 10.  Then, you start the game, go through the intro, and it felt groundbreaking to run around a world you've only seen in 2D or got a semi-3D feel through the cartoons.  I earned at least my first few stars the night I got the game but it was so easy just learning about the 3D realm.  The gaming didn't have to start until well after an hour you popped the game in the system.

This isn't a perfect game but for back in the 90s, it was a perfect introduction to 3D gaming with an analog stick.

• Like 2

Guests · Posted
12 minutes ago, RH said:

Seriously, the game started with playing around with Mario's face.  I am certain I messed around with that for at least 5 minutes but possibly up to 10.  Then, you start the game, go through the intro, and it felt groundbreaking to run around a world you've only seen in 2D or got a semi-3D feel through the cartoons.  I earned at least my first few stars the night I got the game but it was so easy just learning about the 3D realm.  The gaming didn't have to start until well after an hour you popped the game in the system.

This isn't a perfect game but for back in the 90s, it was a perfect introduction to 3D gaming with an analog stick.

Yes! Exactly this. It was quite magical.

Me and my buddy (tbh, mostly him) collected 119 stars, if I'm not misremembering. That last one we had left, 100 coins in Tick Tock Clock, we never managed to get 😄 Funny how we didn't complete it. 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:46 AM, JamesRobot said:

I can't say I like it.  But I was very impressed at the time.  I also don't have a ton of nostalgia for it either. 

Really, it's the beginning of the end for my interest in Mario.  Every subsequent Mario game is pretty much meh.  Odyssey is maybe a 5 for me.

64 is pretty good. If it were a TWATA grade, it would be 6.0 D--.

This is interesting to me how nostalgia can bring on different effects for everyone. Just curious to know if you were a platform gaming lover prior to Mario 64?

My nostalgia seems to be the other way round. I remember by the mid 90s, my interest in platformers had waned after seeing too many reboots of Sonic and a whole lot of other similar 2D platformers. So my nostalgia wasn’t only the fact it was a great classic, but it was also the game that sparked my interest again in platformers the way the original Sonic and Super Mario World did. 

• Like 2

To think this has been up for nearly a week now, and I gave my thoughts already, but I just really decided to pop back in to see responses but primarily to check the polling.

To think that of all those votes, 90% of them fall into the 8-10 range with the last 10% 1/2 of that being a non-vote due to never touching it.  Lots of foolish types love to pound their chest about Ocarina of Time being the perfect game, it hasn't aged well and its flaws still get overlooked, much like how FF7 is to Sony owners.  It's quite the accomplishment thinking that this starter game, the learning game for Nintendo and others to (designers) learn from in doing their own works can get that high amount of praise.  As basic as it looks and sounds compared to stuff that popped up in the later years on the same system, it still doesn't feel dated, doesn't play dated, doesn't feel like it has gone sour in the last 25 years.  A good game is a good game, but a great one timelessly remains so and this one I do believe qualifies.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted

I'm about 75 stars in now, and by this point I think I feel comfortable giving it a 9. It's probably deserving of a 10 just due to how much of a legacy this game has, but as far as my personal enjoyment of it goes, it doesn't quite make it to that level. It's definitely an absolutely fantastic game that I love playing, but it's not quite one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I'm about 75 stars in now, and by this point I think I feel comfortable giving it a 9. It's probably deserving of a 10 just due to how much of a legacy this game has, but as far as my personal enjoyment of it goes, it doesn't quite make it to that level. It's definitely an absolutely fantastic game that I love playing, but it's not quite one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

just hit that 10 button my dude!

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

You made the right call.  This isn't about legacy, it's about what you think of it.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
18 hours ago, GPX said:

This is interesting to me how nostalgia can bring on different effects for everyone. Just curious to know if you were a platform gaming lover prior to Mario 64?

My nostalgia seems to be the other way round. I remember by the mid 90s, my interest in platformers had waned after seeing too many reboots of Sonic and a whole lot of other similar 2D platformers. So my nostalgia wasn’t only the fact it was a great classic, but it was also the game that sparked my interest again in platformers the way the original Sonic and Super Mario World did. 

Yeah, and I still like a good platformer.  And as I mentioned, at the time Mario 64 was quite impressive.  But in terms of nostalgia, I didn't own a 64 (or a PS for that matter) during its lifespan.  And having replayed the game a handful of times since its heyday, it doesn't hold up for me.  For the era, my nostalgia lies mostly with Sony.  Symphony of the Night, Tekken 3, and Twisted Metal 2 probably held the most of my attention.  Played a ton of Goldeneye with friends at that time too.  But of all of those games, SoTN is the only one I consistently return to.  Shoot, I traded away my 64 and all of my games earlier this year.

• Like 1