IGNORED

Help me discover awesome SNES games

Brickman

Graphics Team · Posted

I'd recommend Darius Twin - it's great for pick-up-and-play sessions, since there's no complicated mechanics to learn and it isn't ridiculously difficult (especially with turbo-fire).

A few people have mentioned Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures [SFC] - I picked that game up a few years back expecting a typical SNES-style platformer, but I could never get into it because it was much more like a Sonic game. Just something worth noting if you go into it expecting a Mario-clone like I did.

-CasualCart

5 hours ago, portabello said:

I don’t like it... I love it!

I had it a couple months back and I couldn't get into it. (Now I am almost at the end of Super Turrican 2 and Mega Turrican and I am wondering if I should have given it more time.)

My problem is that the movement is stiff, the music is kind of annoying, atleast the first level or two were boring and most things you have shoot for way too long. And then when I made it to the first shoot-em-up level the ship flys like a boat easily one of the worst feeling flying levels I have played, and then the enemy attack patterns were boring (on the first flying level atleast).

I did read somewhere that you have to keep your weapons upgraded or else the enemies take too long. I am sure that would have helped some.

Edited by Californication

1. Maximum Carnage - A solid very underrated beat-em-up in a sea of great selections. I loved this game a lot, as I was and am a Spider-Man fanboy and the comic series is one of my all-time favorites.

They've been "honorable mentions" elsewhere but I'm throwing them on officially to my list;

2. Kirby Super Star - I really loved this game, and I hadn't been a Kirby fan previously, but this brought me on board.

3. TMNT: Turtles in Time - The seminal beat-em-up of them all. Is a pretty great port even if the Arcade version was the best, this was still a great time. Also not too terribly long.

4. MechWarrior - A rather fun mech & pseudo RPG style game. Not something I would've ever played myself but A close friend in school had it, gave it to me, and I dug it a lot. This is the original and not 3050 which is good too, but I've not played as much

5. Mega Man X 1-3 - While I prefer X3 myself, both X1 and X2 are solid. A great step up from the classic Mega Man games on the NES... and frankly better then MM7 and/or 8. (Also might be cheating a bit with all 3 but I'm doing it anyway lol. If you have to pick any one I'd say start from the first and go from there)

• Thanks 1

Brawl Brothers - awesome brawler where the characters you do not select become bosses you fight later in the game (you can also unlock the even better Japanese version of the game)

Ardy Lightfoot - one of my favorite platformers that has great music and a boomerang mechanic similar to Power Blade using your friend Pec

• Like 1

That Mech Warrior game mentioned two posts up, that's actually an old DOS game that got converted to the SNES and they did a very very good job with it as I used to play the DOS one a lot in the 90s.  SNES got a few games from the period too, Wing Commander and WC Secret Missions both made it over, they control ok, they are intact, stupidly uses a password for better or worse but they're worth a play.  Also Sid Meier's Civilization made it entirely intact, just with a very small view window given the SNES limitation resolution and need to display info, and it works great with the mouse.  There are other DOS titles like Lemmings, Spectre VR and more, so if that was a gaming era on PC you liked there may be an as nearly nice if not better running version on Nintendo.

49 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That Mech Warrior game mentioned two posts up, that's actually an old DOS game that got converted to the SNES and they did a very very good job with it as I used to play the DOS one a lot in the 90s.  SNES got a few games from the period too, Wing Commander and WC Secret Missions both made it over, they control ok, they are intact, stupidly uses a password for better or worse but they're worth a play.  Also Sid Meier's Civilization made it entirely intact, just with a very small view window given the SNES limitation resolution and need to display info, and it works great with the mouse.  There are other DOS titles like Lemmings, Spectre VR and more, so if that was a gaming era on PC you liked there may be an as nearly nice if not better running version on Nintendo.

Big fan of all those DOS games. I grew up on them, so it will be interesting to see how they translated to the SNES. Civilization I just can’t imagine on the SNES, that will be interesting.

Currently playing through your suggestion of Illusion of Gaia and really enjoying it so far.

Ever tried Tales of Phantasia?  It (along with Star Ocean) is the biggest SNES game ever (6 megabyes, or 42 "megabits") and it is so cute and charming...with all kinds of little, eh...surprises.  Because it's Japan-only and we've only been able within the past five years or so have the means to play the translated version on a real system (using an Everdrive or one of those custom made cartridges where the game/cartridge looks just like what the US release might've looked like) you might not have gotten a chance to try it.  And don't forget Dragon Quest 5 where you get to choose a wife and have the kids have mom's matching hair color. 😄 

Edited by Estil

22 minutes ago, Estil said:

Ever tried Tales of Phantasia?  It (along with Star Ocean) is the biggest SNES game ever (6 megabyes, or 42 "megabits") and it is so cute and charming...with all kinds of little, eh...surprises.  Because it's Japan-only and we've only been able within the past five years or so have the means to play the translated version on a real system (using an Everdrive or one of those custom made cartridges where the game/cartridge looks just like what the US release might've looked like) you might not have gotten a chance to try it.  And don't forget Dragon Quest 5 where you get to choose a wife and have the kids have mom's matching hair color. 😄 

Haven’t played that but I will now that you have mentioned it 😃

I have played Dragon Quest 5 on the DS but I think I will give it a go on the SNES too because there are a few games recommend that I have played on different systems.

Just now, Shmup said:

Haven’t played that but I will now that you have mentioned it 😃

I have played Dragon Quest 5 on the DS but I think I will give it a go on the SNES too because there are a few games recommend that I have played on different systems.

Who did you marry on the DS and why?  I had my wife pick for me on the SNES version (my first go around) and I guess we both thought Flora/Nera was the more attractive/feminine of the two...and she looks off the charts adorable in her bridal outfit in the SNES version 🙂 

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

Who did you marry on the DS and why?  I had my wife pick for me on the SNES version (my first go around) and I guess we both thought Flora/Nera was the more attractive/feminine of the two...and she looks off the charts adorable in her bridal outfit in the SNES version 🙂 

I went with Nera because she had magic and I tend to gravitate to mages in games haha.

2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I went with Nera because she had magic and I tend to gravitate to mages in games haha.

You didn't mind marrying a woman who has to rely on you for protection? 😄   At least you didn't end up with her hen pecking (although quite sexy) sister Deborah (though you do get a tiny little surprise bonus in the ending if you pick her)! 😄 

Haha it didn’t 

7 minutes ago, Estil said:

You didn't mind marrying a woman who has to rely on you for protection? 😄   At least you didn't end up with her hen pecking (although quite sexy) sister Deborah (though you do get a tiny little surprise bonus in the ending if you pick her)! 😄 

Haha nah didn’t bother me. I’ll definitely choose someone different next time around 😃

22 hours ago, Shmup said:

Big fan of all those DOS games. I grew up on them, so it will be interesting to see how they translated to the SNES. Civilization I just can’t imagine on the SNES, that will be interesting.

Currently playing through your suggestion of Illusion of Gaia and really enjoying it so far.

That's good to hear (both things.)  IoG is a solid quality game, Soul Blazer despite being older and a little less pretty at times feels even more fun than it.

As far as CIV goes, translated quite excellently other than that one draw back I said, view space.  You can not see that many grid tiles of the map as you'd get even in a 320x240 style old DOS resolution screen, definitely not the wide area Windows gave up to 1024x768 (or was it 800x600) in the day either.  It's playable, it's fun, maybe slightly slower waiting on all the units to move, but it works.  I'd probably suggest not going beyond lower difficulties and only a few enemy civs just to reduce the wait time between turns on their movement vs yours.  It works ok on a controller, but not as well as the mouse where you can pull off easily diagonals and other stuff.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

It works ok on a controller, but not as well as the mouse where you can pull off easily diagonals and other stuff.

Yeah this was what I was thinking, I guess it isn’t a big issue because it is turned based. I’ll definitely give it a go, it’s been easily 15 years since I played that game.

I picked up Civ 6 on the switch recently because it was very cheap. I played it on launch without all the expansions so I look forward to playing all the other nations.

2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Yeah this was what I was thinking, I guess it isn’t a big issue because it is turned based. I’ll definitely give it a go, it’s been easily 15 years since I played that game.

I picked up Civ 6 on the switch recently because it was very cheap. I played it on launch without all the expansions so I look forward to playing all the other nations.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on that Switch title, and I've seen it down as low as $15.  Something about the closed nature of the system kind of stops me from buying some games when there are multi-generational releases on the PC through GoG, sometimes Steam instead.  They always cost less, and even if we were discussing a modern console too, are better on there, and little to no expiration date.  I don't have a lot of Switch to PC overlap, didn't on PS3 or PS4 either as my computer would outshine and cost notably less.  See I have CIV on SNES and CIB too, but I put it in a spot to sell it if the offer is right as I have the rare 'Explorers Pack' for PC which has CIV1 (and Colonization) for both DOS and WIN already on there so it's kind of a downgrade to what I can use.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I still haven't pulled the trigger on that Switch title, and I've seen it down as low as $15.  Something about the closed nature of the system kind of stops me from buying some games when there are multi-generational releases on the PC through GoG, sometimes Steam instead.  They always cost less, and even if we were discussing a modern console too, are better on there, and little to no expiration date.  I don't have a lot of Switch to PC overlap, didn't on PS3 or PS4 either as my computer would outshine and cost notably less.  See I have CIV on SNES and CIB too, but I put it in a spot to sell it if the offer is right as I have the rare 'Explorers Pack' for PC which has CIV1 (and Colonization) for both DOS and WIN already on there so it's kind of a downgrade to what I can use.

Yeah that’s about what I paid for it. I mainly got it because I wanted to play Civ on the go, of course now I can’t go anywhere haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Yeah that’s about what I paid for it. I mainly got it because I wanted to play Civ on the go, of course now I can’t go anywhere haha. 

That's good, I mean hell if I were using an even larger phone than the 8plus where I think I could poke a finger at it without a struggle I'd just get it on there for the lazy ease of use too as that's always on me.