IGNORED

Do you use inverted aiming?

OptOut

Do you use inverted aiming in games?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Inverted aim?

• Yes, invert it to the max, baby.
    • No, normal works fine, baby.
    • Ambidextrous/depends on the game, baby.

Recently there has been some discussion of the non-inverted aiming in Mario Sunshine, where there was in the original, and no option to switch it back.

So, this got me thinking, how common is the preference for inverted aiming, one way or the other?

Personally, I'm an inverted kind of guy, if ever there is an option then I'll invert for things like FPS games and what have you. I guess I can adjust if it's not an option, but I know what I prefer.

How about the rest of ya?!

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Inverted aiming is the spawn of Satan, and the people who use it are his acolytes. Especially when in certain games it's only inverted vertically, whereas the horizontal aim is normal, or vice versa. That's even worse.

Well this is me.  Inverted y axis and normal x axis.  If I had to nail down when this started for me, flight simulators and combat games.  

• Like 1

I used to play all my shooting games inverted. And I was good. After taking a long break from gaming and coming back I can't play that way anymore. 

Red Faction 2 I could go in and play 1:2 or 1:3 against real people. Any weapon.  Sniper rifle in the air - piece of cake. 

Edited by Californication

Honestly, I don't know but I also can't claim ambidexterity. I tend to end up playing one game, it feels awkward and wrong, but there's no setting to change it, so I adjust with time. Then I go to a new game and it kicks of the process all over again because it's different. I will agree, 100%, if you are flying then it should be inverted. This is naturally how the mechanics of plane flying work. For FPSes, nothing ever feels quite right.

What was GoldenEye? That was the first game I got into that was an FPS with an analog stick. It felt natural at the time, so I'm going to say that's the behavior I prefer.

Wait, there are people in this world that don't use inverted Y axis controls? I've always wondered why it was even an option in games, I couldn't imagine playing without it. It just seems strange to pull back on a joystick to aim down, it doesn't make sense to me. If you're aiming a water cannon at something in reality, you'd pull back on it to aim up and you'd push forward to aim down, this is how aiming works in video games.

When I started playing Silent Hill Homecoming recently, panic flowed over me when I realized the aiming is not inverted and I have no way of switching it. Every time I get into a situation where I need to react by moving the camera quickly, I always end up looking at the floor when trying to look up, it's incredibly annoying.

Also I really liked Captain Toad when it came out but I downloaded the demo and when I played it, I had an impossible time with it because I can't invert the camera controls. That is the sole reason I never purchased that game, I looked through the menu but it wasn't there. If it were possible to invert, I would have bought it. I simply cannot play without it.

No, I’m not a monster. That would be like moving your mouse down to move the cursor up because that’s how aircraft elevators work.

For third person camera movement I can go either way though. I can never figure out which one I prefer. Right to look right makes sense. Right to move the virtual cameraman right and look left also makes sense.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

Inverted unless we're talking about simulating what would be a real world situation in a game should just NOT be done as it makes no logical sense.

Like Top Gun 2 on NES stupidly goes in with up is that and down is that, but thankfully options allow you to switch.  It's terribly wrong and just terrible trying to fly, use a submarine, or something else where up and down by design are reversed.  But when it comes to playing like Quake, I want my aim to be where I look, I don't look down to shoot up, that's insanity.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:04 AM, cartman said:

I don't like it but supposedly that is an authentic thing when flying planes and such.

For flying simulator style games it makes sense, as it mimics actual airplane controls, especially if you hold the controller horizontal (up on a d-pad or stick = forward on an airplane yoke = diving, down = back = climbing.)

Other games, I don't find it useful.

Edited by Tulpa

Interesting comment about the computer mouse because an inverted Y-axis really only applies to aiming. I like inverted axis but if I paused the game I would expect the cursor to go up if I press up but that has no impact on my aim with an inverted style. Also, after playing on inverted gyro controls it's really hard to go back. I have to consciously think about it playing Mario Sunshine (as well as which spray button) which is making the game somewhat annoying right now. This is why simple control configs options are always welcome but seem to be a fading trend for some very bizarre reason. 

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

For flying simulator style games it makes sense, as it mimics actual airplane controls, especially if you hold the controller horizontal (up on a d-pad or stick = forward on an airplane yoke = diving, down = back = climbing.)

Other games, I don't find it useful.

Yeah i always turn it off because it simply isn't convenient. But i mean you can't really blame effort and someone trying to add to the experience so from an artistic standpoint i understand.

Inverted y-axis is the "correct" way to play a FPS 😛  Everyone else who uses default y-axis settings is either a neophyte or came from PC/mouse.

I kid (mostly) about inverted being correct, but consider the screen as your field of vision - when you want to look at the ceiling, you pull your head back which equates to pulling the thumbstick back (down).

• Like 2

I used to specifically play FPS games Inverted lol. I didn't really play them much for a few years (was my time playing almost exclusively playing FFXI Online) and then when I went back... I didn't put too much thought into as it doesn't bother me. Playing old games I used to play inverted, I usually will. But newer games which are regular I also do.

It generally just depends on what the default control is for a game. If it's different, then it's fine. I usually get used to quickly enough either way.

I usually do the invert, but it's def. very particular to the game for me.  I was briefly trying to play "Space Harrier" recently with the y inverted at first because I couldn't remember how I liked if for that game and it was driving me crazy.  Just finished Destination Earthstar for which the space stages use an inverted y-axis and a normal x-axis and I really liked it - part of what makes you feel like you're really navigating through space.