IGNORED

PS5 price and news

DefaultGen

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Littlemacstrainer said:

I started to laugh at the size ratio between the PS5 and the technician. The PS5 is definitely huge. I was lucky enough to preorder one, so being excited is an understatement for me.

Heh give it a few more years and it'll have a shrunken down version.

1 hour ago, Littlemacstrainer said:

No doubt and with more added to it.

Are you sure?  Because the PS3 ended up getting features taken away and all the Nintendo console re-releases except the NES top loader were changed for the worst 😞  The SNES re-release took away S-video support, GC took away component support, Wii took away GC support...

35 minutes ago, Estil said:

Are you sure?  Because the PS3 ended up getting features taken away and all the Nintendo console re-releases except the NES top loader were changed for the worst 😞  The SNES re-release took away S-video support, GC took away component support, Wii took away GC support...

Very true but I'm going on the last generation of consoles. Especially on the PS4 regarding this topic. 

I guess it's more important to get a launch console then what people downplay it as from that point of view.

27 minutes ago, Littlemacstrainer said:

Very true but I'm going on the last generation of consoles. Especially on the PS4 regarding this topic. 

I guess it's more important to get a launch console then what people downplay it as from that point of view.

I know it kinda sucks to miss out on all the console launch excitement but aside from me not having that kind of money to throw around on something like that, it seems best to give the console a few years to work the kinks out.  Joy-con drift anyone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Estil said:

I know it kinda sucks to miss out on all the console launch excitement but aside from me not having that kind of money to throw around on something like that, it seems best to give the console a few years to work the kinks out.  Joy-con drift anyone?

Yeah I get it, but also those game bundle editions are totally worth it. I missed out on the ps4 launch console myself, so I ended up getting the uncharted PS4 game bundle edition down the road.  No regrets. Also, those bigger hard drives that rhey add now in the later editons make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Are you sure?  Because the PS3 ended up getting features taken away and all the Nintendo console re-releases except the NES top loader were changed for the worst 😞 

There's always tradeoffs. The PS3 lost backwards compatibility, but the newer versions were more reliable. (I don't think that many people cared about dropping SACD compatibility.)

The toploader also lost AV output, and had a bad case of jail bars. Yes, the pin connector was more reliable, but I don't think that alone was worth the "upgrade."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So today is the offical launch of the PS5, the first(?) ninth generation console...for those of you here actually rich enough and lucky enough to snag one, how is it so far?  What games did you pick out?  And how do the graphics and such compare to the PS4 (Pro)?  I hope this time it's a much bigger difference than PS3 vs PS4...which I didn't think there was much difference at all on PS4's launch TBH. 😞 

I don't suppose it was still possible in light of covid to do the old fashioned wait outside/camp out in a loooooong line to be among the first to grab it?

Edited by Estil

8 hours ago, Estil said:

So today is the offical launch of the PS5, the first(?) ninth generation console...for those of you here actually rich enough and lucky enough to snag one, how is it so far?  What games did you pick out?  And how do the graphics and such compare to the PS4 (Pro)?  I hope this time it's a much bigger difference than PS3 vs PS4...which I didn't think there was much difference at all on PS4's launch TBH. 😞 

I don't suppose it was still possible in light of covid to do the old fashioned wait outside/camp out in a loooooong line to be among the first to grab it?

The graphics comparisons already on YouTube show that the leap isn't huge. But, the much improved processors and memory does give a signficant fidelity boost with regards to lighting, shadows, draw distance and other details.

You won't notice a huge difference in these first batch of games. But I guess that within a couple of years, we'll start to see games that really take advantage of the new hardware in a graphically noticeable way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

The graphics comparisons already on YouTube show that the leap isn't huge. But, the much improved processors and memory does give a signficant fidelity boost with regards to lighting, shadows, draw distance and other details.

You won't notice a huge difference in these first batch of games. But I guess that within a couple of years, we'll start to see games that really take advantage of the new hardware in a graphically noticeable way.

That's not the way it used to be (as I had eluded in a previous topic way back when).  It used to be that even the first/entry level games of a new system blew away even the very best of the previous system.  The last time this was really true was 6th-->7th (PS2 vs PS3).

And if I ever do get around to getting a PS5 (probably at least 2-3 years from now minimum)...I'm definitely NOT setting it or any of my other consoles up vertically like Sony is kinda/sorta encouraging...that looks WAY too easy for something like this to happen...

Edited by Estil

You are never going to see huge leaps in graphical detail between generations anymore.  The leap from PS1 to PS2 was the last major leap we will ever see.  The leap between PS2 and PS3 was pretty small, and PS3 to PS4 was even smaller.  We've hit the point of diminishing returns.  There are still lots of improvements that can be made, but I never expect to be wowed anymore the way I used to be years ago.  

• Like 1

Well I was nervous but Amazon shipped mine launch day.  Got it setup and transferred pretty much everything from my  PS4 over except HBO Max (wtf hbo?)

First off much better UI.  HDR everywhere! Much less laggy to go to the homepage and the store launches from there rather than the stupid app that always got hung up.  Much easier to invite friends to games, but they buried the friendlist (maybe it can be hotkeyed to the menu bar?)  The built in mic and speaker on the controller doesn’t sound bad at all, I still want to pick up a headset down the line but it is a nice alternative.

Played a bit of Astro, really fun pack in game.  Cutesy 3D Mario style platformer with shoutouts to PlayStation history.  Really shows off the controller since you feel the rain and when you walk over grates.  Next level rumble.

Tested Ghost of Tsushima (PS4) and wow it is so much more fluid with the better frame rate and the fire/particle effects seem dialed up.  So weird because I played that game a lot and it feels like a different game.  Some PS4 games get a boost right out of the gate and others are getting patched down the line so that should make revisiting some of them fun (can’t wait for Witcher 3 to get a bump.)

I haven’t played a proper PS5 game yet, but already seeing a nice improvement over the PS4 Pro (should be even bigger if you are coming from base PS4 and seeing 4K for the first time)

• Like 1

A few thoughts I shared in the other thread.

PS5

• Console is a chonky beast. Very quiet, but also very ugly. Most people will want to hide it. The fins are especially dumb looking and the console is wobbly while horizontal, despite the base.
  • OS is snappy, although some strange choices in layout make it inefficient to get around.
  • Controller is too big (although I'm used to the smaller Xbox controller). My thumbs feel like they really have to reach for buttons and sticks, the grips extend too far down, the touch pad is way too big, and the PS button is very difficult to hit blindly. This is a downgrade from the DS4 for me.
  • Controller haptics are fine, but essentially the same thing as the HD rumble on Switch. They can give you much better directional feedback, but are way overused during Astro's Playroom and start to get annoying (every step makes the controller vibrate).
  • Adaptive triggers are cool, but don't add much to the gameplay. I'm very confused as to why reviewers gushed on and on about them.
  • Astro's Playroom is serviceable for showing off haptics and triggers, but not particularly interesting. I would NOT load it up just to show someone the controller. They would probably not want to play for more than a few minutes. Very wise of Sony to give this away as a pack-in.

I realize that these sound kind of negative, but overall I think it's a cool console. I'm extremely excited to see Sony's first party output over the next five years. I'm also stoked to go back and play the big games I missed with better/more stable framerates (LoU 1 & 2, Horizon, Bloodborne, Ghost of Tsushima, Last Guardian).

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fox said:

Nobody seems to be talking about the 4K blu ray player.  It’s good, and if you are a fan of physical media it is a no brainer to get the disc version.

Yeah you can get a cheap 4K player, but not one with HDR support for under $100.

Good point. The One S and One X both have a 4K player, so I always forget the PS4 doesn't have one. A UHD drive is definitely a huge upgrade for people who don't have an Xbox or a standalone player.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:48 AM, ICrappedMyPants said:

PS5 has been up on Best Buy for over an hour.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=ps+5

I can't believe anyone would skip the disc ready system just to save a measly $100.  I mean that hard drive space can get eaten up very quickly...am I wrong?