IGNORED

PS5 price and news

DefaultGen

I only half watched the presentation but some points to pull out:

• $399 digital console, $499 regular console
  • November 12
  • Destruction AllStars and Demons' Souls remastered will be $69.99, wew
  • New God of War game sometime
  • Spider-man MM and the new Horizon game are coming to PS4 as well, so that's nice
  • Demons Souls is coming to PC too, woo.

IMO it was pretty lackluster and full of old games and sequels, but I'm jaded on everything. The PS Plus thing in particular seems like the budget bin games of yesteryear. Good games, but Microsoft is regularly putting out brand new games on Game Pass... Crusader Kings III, Flight Simulator, Wasteland 3 and upcoming Halo, Psychonauts, and Forza games. I don't think Sony can compete with a bucket of Greatest Hits titles.

Edited by DefaultGen

So this gen will start out identical to the previous gen.  That doesn't surprise me which is why I expect to see similar sales numbers in this generation compared to last.  The only major difference this time around will be the bigger push to go all digital.  The good news is that I get to save a ton of money this Christmas since I will wait 3 or 4 years before buying a new console regardless of the brand.  

• Like 1

Final Fantasy XVI looked medieval AF.  Yoshi P gives me hope.

Demon's Souls, Spiderman, and Resident Evil VIII look great.

New God of War coming next year is a lot sooner than I expected.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

old games and sequels, but I'm jaded on everything

That last showcase they did in July, y'all whined it was all art-house and indie titles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So maybe I'm not all that crazy or weird for thinking a PSIO w/ 512 GB sd card that can hold up to 1000 PS1 titles is much much more worth the money?  Now if I can just figure out how to do something similar for the PS2...I think the Free McBoot works better at playing PS2 isos than PS1 isos?

47 minutes ago, RH said:

I had to look up the trailer. It looks... gritty.

It does look impressive I'm not gonna lie, and I do like how it's in a medieval sort of time period like a more traditional RPG/quest...but I'm getting mixed signals about who they intend the main cast/party/team will be.  Then again, as Karen-looking mom here points out, I already got all these other systems, why should I have to plunk down all this extra money on a whole new system for just one game? 😞   Just doesn't seem right...

9 hours ago, Estil said:

It does look impressive I'm not gonna lie, and I do like how it's in a medieval sort of time period like a more traditional RPG/quest...but I'm getting mixed signals about who they intend the main cast/party/team will be.  Then again, as Karen-looking mom here points out, I already got all these other systems, why should I have to plunk down all this extra money on a whole new system for just one game? 😞   Just doesn't seem right...

Karen get's so much hate in that video but the fact is, she's still a bit jaded that she had to toss her perfectly good betamax because VHS won the format war and all she wants to do is record her soaps!

And now they've done this to her kid!

I'm gonna pass for now, but Demon Souls looks dope. The graphical difference between the games gives me hope that PS3 games could become collectible.

I'm kind of curious what LRG and independent game makers are going to do. I mean there is a new console that is backward compatible, are they going to take advantage of the new programing potential of the PS5 because it seems like they could reach a larger market continuing to develop for the PS4. I guess most of the digital stuff was made for the PS4 so LRG won't have an untapped library to draw from, but what will they do if new developers like the people who made Celeste or SoR4 decide to make PS5 only games. And just psychologically will buying a PS4 release/last gen. game seem as relevant to the LRG community?

Edited by Californication

Since I waited so long to get a PS4, I actually started out with a PS4 Pro, which is another reason why I feel less reason to get anything right away this gen.  I don't really have anything against either system, but there is just so little available at launch that I don't feel it's worth the money.  The Horizon Zero Dawn sequel is the biggest thing that would make me move towards the PS5, but since it will also be on PS4, I'm comfortable waiting.  

I've been waiting to get one of these all year, and now that they're announced, I'm just... meh. The portability of the Switch has ruined me for these new consoles. Believe it or not my old PS3 is still the hub of my home media center, and amazingly that still works fine for Netflix, Prime Video, and dvds, the only thing the rest of my family still uses it for. I'll upgrade eventually (probably once my daughter starts ragging me about not having Disney+) but it's not as much of a priority as I expected.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

For me it's not really a matter of if, but rather, when I will purchase it.  I've always loved the particular exclusive content released on sony systems, and I'm sure PS5 will be no different.  

I typically don't get them right at launch, but at some point, I'll def pick one up - probably sometime next year or so.  I think many were expecting those prices, so nothing too crazy shocking there.  I don't love the design personally, but I'm more interested in the content anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Still no reason for me to buy a next gen console. I’m happy with my PS4 pro and Xbox one x and all the games that come out early in the lifecycle will be made for previous gen.

Indeed; you might say the PS5 just doesn't stack up compared to well, most any other system! 😄 

9PemRht.jpg

12 hours ago, erac said:

Well, increasing release prices just mean it takes a year or two longer before I get one. I have a hard line of never paying more than 100 for a console. Backlogs are a good thing 😉

Nothing wrong with that at all!  I'll be doing much the same thing; in no small part because of my meager gaming budget (you can't spare much on an SSDI-only budget).  Though we're a little past that point, I also feel the same way you do about the Switch as well:

https://youtu.be/ZYf_TaNUOvk?t=68

Edited by Estil

I really want to play the game as the cat. And Final Fantasy XVI. There are other games I want too, but yeah. Cats and Final Fantasy.

This is the first time I’m excited for a new console generation in a long time. Maybe I’m in the minority but I like what I’ve seen. I won’t get it day one or anything, but I could see myself getting one in early or mid-2021.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, The Strangest said:

I really want to play the game as the cat. And Final Fantasy XVI. There are other games I want too, but yeah. Cats and Final Fantasy.

This is the first time I’m excited for a new console generation in a long time. Maybe I’m in the minority but I like what I’ve seen. I won’t get it day one or anything, but I could see myself getting one in early or mid-2021.

I love games with actually cats...like MegaMan Legends and Crono Trigger where you can have a whole houseful of them...though in the case of the former I don't think Bob Barker would like the cats just multiplying (they obviously were NOT spayed or neutered!!) OR how MegaMan can be mean and kick dogs 😞 

Not to mention that ghost town place (forget the name) in Zelda Twilight Princess that I bet had the most realistic looking/acting kitties in a video game up to that point in time and it's so cute how you can get them to follow you around and I think you get some sort of bonus if you can get them all to like/follow you?

On 9/17/2020 at 8:55 AM, dvertov said:

Believe it or not my old PS3 is still the hub of my home media center, and amazingly that still works fine for Netflix, Prime Video, and dvds, the only thing the rest of my family still uses it for. 

Oh I totally believe it!  The PS3 is truly leaps and bounds in that regard compared to any console that came before it.  And I also like the opera music you get when you turn it on; very classy and goes with the whole "Cadillac of game consoles" when you also add how it originally played almost all PS1/PS2 discs and its (originally) sleek sexy shiny black look.  

My favorite feature my far (mine is the last super slim model with 500 GB hard drive) is how you can back up your PS1/PS2 memory cards on it...I cannot stress the important of having your important game saves and computer files (such as my collection of UK basketball games) backed up!!  If there is only one PSA kind of thing I would want to shout from the mountain tops, it's that one!