IGNORED

Goodbye Thread

MiamiSlice

Post tributes to the treasured items leaving your collection. Maybe it's something you finally decided to sell, maybe it's something you are trading away for something else. Don't bother mentioning what you got for it, just tell us how bittersweet it is to watch it leave... because memories last forever. 

I’ll go first. 

Recently bid farewell to my original copy of Goldeneye for N64. The box was lost at some point. I poured many hours into this game. Never played the other two but my brother was a huge fan of Perfect Dark.

1E0159D2-05B3-4D5E-A769-4D1F3E400D80.thumb.jpeg.4bd74bbcac18af02c3ea8f6bb58984af.jpeg

Also my CIB Tail Concerto is heading out tomorrow. This was an impulse buy a couple years ago, I wanted it to go with my Solatorobo but at the time it was a lot to spend. Did not expect prices to go up so much since! And no, I never got around to playing it. I’ll emulate it eventually!

F2DF014E-22FC-49A1-8C72-D980D4731F22.thumb.jpeg.24a8cf009bfba6088325fefd11111743.jpeg

• Like 1

It's been a while *cue Staind lol*, but I did bid farewell to a factory sealed copy of Action 52 for NES. Wish I didn't have to, but needed to let one thing go at time and that just got an unexpected good offer. Just hoping I can get a better copy of it again in the future as it's something I want in my collection alongside Cheetahmen II and Myriad 6 in 1 ( I do have Caltron 6 in 1 still though). Otherwise, I haven't really parted anything else at all yet in my collecting and gaming life. I heart it all lol. (I'll get a pic updated here once I find it)

• Sad 2

A couple months ago I got out of having pinball machines.  I got rid of Pin-Bot, that home use one I had.  A local I met at the Louisville Arcade Expo in March bought it off me.  He's a wannabe operator, has quite a few at home for himself, kids, family, takes a few to shows to get in free.  Pin-Bot is just NOT one you want on its own because it's one of the most ball draining evil tables despite being fun, it wore me out wanting to use it, but he can go between another dozen so it's fine.  I'll see it again next year of the expo is on, damn communist virus...

I'd throw a pic up but I erased everything off my phone/pc I had of it.  I think you can make out a sliver of it in one of the day one Neo Geo arcade images I still have as it sat by it for a few days.

• Sad 1

4 years ago I sold off some of my heavy hitters for several consoles.  We were expecting our first child and this made us able to buy a second car outright, payoff existing medical debt from an unexpected complication, and pay off some other debt before our child was born.

Out of everytning I sold I miss Little Samson, Star Fox Super Weekend, and my NTF2 Test Cart the most.  Eventually I want to get copies of them back.  I have replaced most of what I sold back then (and almost all below what I sold them for!) but those three have risen in price since then and too expensive to justify at this point

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Herein I shall reveal my greatest collecting shame.

A few years ago I broke up my complete set of PS1 long box games.  I only sold a handful of them but they were pricey enough that I can’t just fix it on a whim.  I had a baby on the way and I was probably drinking too much but it must have actually been a fit of madness.  Heap your scorn upon me Sages.  Oh what a fool I’ve been.  Oh my dear Darkstalkers, why have I forsaken thee?!

Edit:  Although stimulus money did. just hit my account this morning.  Quick, someone fetch my bottle of rum.  

Edited by Hammerfestus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Herein I shall reveal my greatest collecting shame.

A few years ago I broke up my complete set of PS1 long box games.  I only sold a handful of them but they were pricey enough that I can’t just fix it on a whim.  I had a baby on the way and I was probably drinking too much but it must have actually been a fit of madness.  Heap your scorn upon me Sages.  Oh what a fool I’ve been.  Oh my dear Darkstalkers, why have I forsaken thee?!

Edit:  Although stimulus money did. just hit my account this morning.  Quick, someone fetch my bottle of rum.  

If it helps I was listening to the theme song for 'Love Story' while reading what you said. 😭

• Haha 1

Sold off (almost) my entire N64 collection. I'm only holding onto two games to complete a set... then I will sell those too. 

Lots of sentimental value here as most of these were my original games I had from my teenage years, but I hit a point where collecting for N64 was too difficult, and I was too disappointed looking at all these boxes that got trashed in the years they were being shuffled around by my family (the only ones in great shape were the recent acquisitions, Mario Tennis and Wipeout 64)... but I don't want to get into all that. Oh well, these are being enjoyed by others now!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway, I have an Everdrive 64 X7 now so I will be able to play all these games and more 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I know that feeling too well.  To think I once had all these things I liked, lost to a financially forced sell off of most my stuff 15 years ago, I had back then got Aerofighters +manual, poster, dust sleeve for SNES for like $10.  When the selling hit, it hadn't gone up really to anything, let alone near a 3 figures game.  Yeah, that ship has sailed.

To me, like your NWC it was a lesson.  I don't let go of a damn thing now unless I know I'm 100% over it.  Even if I don't particularly like it, but will rarely re-visit a couple times in a few years or so, it stays because the price of recovery is disgusting.  I'm no Earthbound fanboy but I have a great cart and guide for it, and seeing what they priced out post, let alone pre-pandemic stupidity, it stays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I know that feeling too well.  To think I once had all these things I liked, lost to a financially forced sell off of most my stuff 15 years ago, I had back then got Aerofighters +manual, poster, dust sleeve for SNES for like $10.  When the selling hit, it hadn't gone up really to anything, let alone near a 3 figures game.  Yeah, that ship has sailed.

To me, like your NWC it was a lesson.  I don't let go of a damn thing now unless I know I'm 100% over it.  Even if I don't particularly like it, but will rarely re-visit a couple times in a few years or so, it stays because the price of recovery is disgusting.  I'm no Earthbound fanboy but I have a great cart and guide for it, and seeing what they priced out post, let alone pre-pandemic stupidity, it stays.

In my case, most of the stuff I regret selling has more to do with the current value than missing the actual item. It seems like anything I sell is guaranteed to go up in value 10x within a few years.

• Like 2

About 10 years ago, I visited a store near me that I frequented. This place was alright, but it wasn’t really an enthusiasts’ store: More like a VHS/DVD/CD outlet that also happened to carry games. Their retro game prices were slightly high, but they balanced this out by almost always offering Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

And they had something truly amazing on this day: 10 sealed copies each of Sonic 3 (clamshell) and McDonald’s Treasure Land Adventure. But wait, it gets better: For whatever reason, they’d priced them at their going rate for used copies of the same games! My recollection is that Sonic was $12 and McD $9. But wait, it gets even better: Yes, B2G1F applied to these as well.

So I wound up buying all of them for maybe $175 or so (apologies: I don’t recall the exact amount, but it was a bit under $200). Unfortunately, this was me spending money I barely had, and I had bills to pay at the time, so I immediately began selling them off to recoup my investment.

I held on to about half of them over the next 10 years and would sell a couple off here or there to shore up my finances. Today I have only one of each left, along with a copy of McD that I opened for my personal collection (it is a great feeling to have that on my shelf and know that it’s only been played a few times, and only by me).

In the end, I probably made my investment back tenfold, if not more, and that’s nothing to sneeze at. But obviously I’d have made far more from them if I’d managed to hold on to them until this past year. (And it does burn me that I sold at least one or two of the McD’s for less than what an open CIB copy goes for today)

• Like 4

Back around 2008 when I was just getting into the collecting scene, I went and got a job at a local gaming chain to feed my new habit.  I hoarded the best NES carts that they had at the time, and was selling them to offset my low salary, and these are the ones that I sold and never kept my own copy of:

Bonks Adventure

Ducktales 2 two or three copies

Snow Bros

Bubble Bobble 2

Contra Force two copies

Turtles Tournament Fighters

Mighty Final Fight

Chip n Dales 2

Theres probably others too, but I dont own any of these, and I had copies of them at one time.  Sometimes multiple...

• Like 2

On 1/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

In my case, most of the stuff I regret selling has more to do with the current value than missing the actual item. It seems like anything I sell is guaranteed to go up in value 10x within a few years.

Basically your concern is my concern.  The difference is, I just won't sell it unless I truly know I'm over it, done and don't care then it's toast...at least for an item I'd consider annoying to re-buy probably at the $30-50 mark depending on the medium.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

When I got married, I thought I needed to grow up and sell off my video games. Whether or not that's true, 😉, I sold a bunch of stuff that I wish I still had, but I struggle to justify buying them again. I don't want to BUY them, I just want to HAVE them. I do remember the guy who bought all my Zelda stuff though, that guy was SO excited to have it. That helps, actually.

Luckily I didn't get rid of my CIB gold-cart OoT from Christmas 1998. Whew!

• Like 3

On 1/5/2021 at 7:21 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great way to put it. I don't miss a single item I ever let go, I only miss the idea of owning it or the potential value of owning it. When I think of it that way, I don't regret getting rid of anything.