IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Heavy Shreddin

BeaIank

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Because the game puts up text telling you to toe grab there, lol.

But it's okay I got the timing down.

The game won't ever tell you what moves to do outside of half pipe.  If it has toe grab at the top, it means the game thinks you attempted a toe grab and miss timed it. That probably means the dpad wasn't fully released when you pressed A to jump

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The game won't ever tell you what moves to do outside of half pipe.  If it has toe grab at the top, it means the game thinks you attempted a toe grab and miss timed it. That probably means the dpad wasn't fully released when you pressed A to jump

Okay, that's interesting. I thought it was giving me instructions.

But it looks like it's okay to do either move, just a matter of preference.

55 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

It does tell you what move to do, but only if you miss it. For example if you just run into the long gap it will tell you to toe grab or if you run into a tunnel (like at the end of backwoods 6) it will tell you to duck. 

But for the long gap either a toe grab or mule kick will work. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1

Just now, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

It does tell you what move to do, but only if you miss it. For example if you just run into the long gap it will tell you to toe grab or if you run into a tunnel (like at the end of backwoods 6) it will tell you to duck. 

Thank you. That's what I originally figured.

I actually managed to improve my score, but not quite as much as I wanted. Whenever I had a good run I would mess up in one of the later stages and as soon I messed up once many more fails would soon follow. So I only got to around 174k. Score updated on page 3 and I'm done for this week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

So I reached Backwood 5, couldn't figure out WTF to do at the beginning and quickly lost a bunch of lives. Sucks ass, man. I wish I'd started practicing this sooner.

For that one you just need to go down to the bottom of the screen. No tricks are necessary. You will need to hold down pretty much immediately after getting past the beginning fence 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

So I reached Backwood 5, couldn't figure out WTF to do at the beginning and quickly lost a bunch of lives. Sucks ass, man. I wish I'd started practicing this sooner.

Beyond that, the next two levels aren't hard and then its just backwood 6. You should finish out and complete it while you have the rhythm.  

@0xDEAFC0DE, I can't say I didnt try. Hats off to you. No clue where you are getting that extra 1000-2000, and I'll probably never know. Fun trading blows with you though and a well deserved win.

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Beyond that, the next two levels aren't hard and then its just backwood 6. You should finish out and complete it while you have the rhythm.  

@0xDEAFC0DE, I can't say I didnt try. Hats off to you. No clue where you are getting that extra 1000-2000, and I'll probably never know. Fun trading blows with you though and a well deserved win.

I'm not going to beat this before contest is over but I still want to beat this. I'm getting into it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Did another mistake free run and improved 500 points. Still 1500 short. Not sure what I am missing

I don't think I'm doing anything major but I did look into for the points work. Most come from progression which come automatically. The one exception is on some sections if you are too far down at the end, you won't get the last chunk of points. 

The second source of points is tricks. Each section you get up to 10 tricks to gain points. Most of the time a trick gives you 50 points, but if the last two digits are above 50 it will only give you what you need for the next one hundred (e.g. with 3587 points the score would become 3600). For this reason you almost never want to do a trick while the score is accumulating progression points (unless you've already done your 10 point scoring tricks). But for the most part this doesn't matter since it's easiest to do the tricks in between levels where you don't get progression points anyway (also a handstand will help slow you down to get all 10 in).

You can't do this during the first section of course. Half of the first sections are half pipes where you can't do extra tricks. The other half are downhills which are timed so no handstands. The worst one is downhill 3 which doesn't give you progression points in increments of 100. For downhill 3 I get in 5 tricks before the first set of progression points, and then try to sneak in the remaining tricks that would cross the hundred barrier in the middle of the progression points. For backwoods 6 I try to do as many handstands as possible at the start and then continue like downhill 3.

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Pretty sure I could be over 200k had I started learning this much sooner. There's just a lot of trial and error BS that I would have enormous trouble figuring it all out on my own.

Looping contra 7 times is a pretty good excuse for being behind on heavy shreddin. Contra Saturday and a heavy shreddin Sunday is a pretty good gaming weekend 

2 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The one exception is on some sections if you are too far down at the end, you won't get the last chunk of points. 

This may have been what cost me. I was doing the 10 tricks by doing 10 straight 360s before the level started every time. 

The other possibility is the third to last obstacle on backwood 6. If you go high on the screen with two paths before the ditch, you have to shoot down like you do at the beginning of backwood 5. I started going low to make it easier. That may have lessened the time the score runs because you arent shooting all the way down the screen