IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Heavy Shreddin

BeaIank

19 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Played marble madness today @mbd39 Im rusty. 105k w/11 deaths. Doing the math on how score gets calculated, even if you finish with 70 seconds left and no deaths, I still only get to 160kish. What am I missing that people can get to 180?

To get 180k you have to be able to finish the ultimate race with at least 77 or 78 seconds left and also get a lucky wand or two.

There is also a trick to breaking the black marble in stage 2 without losing any time for an additional 1k.

9 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Finally got a mistake free run (although I think I missed a couple hundred points due to slightly delayed trick execution on backwoods 6). Updated page 2. Your move @NESfiend

I'll probably get a few runs in this afternoon, but thats probably good for the win. Thats a little higher than I would have thought the max is. Not sure where I'm missing points. Hell of a score!!!!!

54 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I'll probably get a few runs in this afternoon, but thats probably good for the win. Thats a little higher than I would have thought the max is. Not sure where I'm missing points. Hell of a score!!!!!

Yeah, that's crazy. I thought about playing, but I'm out of my element.

I'm sorry but this game is fucking horseshit. Most of the time when I press up when you're supposed to toe grab after a jump, my guy just plummets to his doom instead. It doesn't seem to matter when I press up. Sometimes by accident he does a toe grab but most of the time he falls. It's still at total mystery to me when you're supposed to press the direction after a jump.

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm sorry but this game is fucking horseshit. Most of the time when I press up when you're supposed to toe grab after a jump, my guy just plummets to his doom instead. It doesn't seem to matter when I press up. Sometimes by accident he does a toe grab but most of the time he falls. It's still at total mystery to me when you're supposed to press the direction after a jump.

The key is to release A before pressing a direction. Other than that don't do it too late

4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The key is to release A before pressing a direction. Other than that don't do it too late

I'm trying to release A before.

Is there like a two frame window or something? Why can't it just do a fucking toe grab when I press up instead of not responding? Is that too much to ask???

Whelp, I just tried five times in a row to do the toe grab after the jump. I was not holding the jump button when I pressed up. Failed each time. As far as I'm concerned these are the worst NES controls I've ever experienced, hands down.

EDIT: I am playing on PC on an emulator so I wonder if it's lag. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Edited by mbd39

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Whelp, I just tried five times in a row to do the toe grab after the jump. I was not holding the jump button when I pressed up. Failed each time. As far as I'm concerned these are the worst NES controls I've ever experienced, hands down.

EDIT: I am playing on PC on an emulator so I wonder if it's lag. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Whats strange is your able to do the mule kick.  Toe grab is same timing and everything with a different directional. Be sure to hold the up direction through the entire trick. There may be something I am missing that just comes second nature at this point. When I beat this for the completions thread back in the spring, I had a lot of trouble with the timing for a while

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Whats strange is your able to do the mule kick.  Toe grab is same timing and everything with a different directional. Be sure to hold the up direction through the entire trick. There may be something I am missing that just comes second nature at this point. When I beat this for the completions thread back in the spring, I had a lot of trouble with the timing for a while

In the half pipe I just jump and press the direction and it does the trick with no issue.

Here I jump and then press up and most of the time nothing happens, he just falls. Press up, hold up, it doesn't seem to matter. This is the beginning of the third backwoods section. 

Maybe I'm not holding up long enough? I'll give it another try before abandoning this stupid game forever.

Edited by mbd39

27 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm trying to release A before.

Is there like a two frame window or something? Why can't it just do a fucking toe grab when I press up instead of not responding? Is that too much to ask???

Weird. I do use a mule kick (Left) to clear the large gaps, so maybe that will work better for you. I am using a ROM cart on a real NES, but I wouldn't think it would be that much more difficult on an emulator.

22 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I tried it out on an emulator with an input viewer (see upper left) and didn't have any problems. Are you doing anything differently? You don't need to hold the direction btw.

Yeah, I finally I watched a Youtube video where someone said that you have to press the direction _immediately_ after jumping and that seems to work fine.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

In the half pipe I just jump and press the direction and it does the trick with no issue.

Here I jump and then press up and most of the time nothing happens, he just falls. Press up, hold up, it doesn't seem to matter. This is the beginning of the third backwoods section. 

Why use toe grab at all outside of half pipe? Mule kick is easier and covers the same distance