IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Heavy Shreddin

BeaIank

1 minute ago, 8bitdontquit said:

In interest of keeping this share bear alive @NESfiendyou feel like sharing any scoring techniques? I've got 70g ripping tricks the whole run and died at backwoods 5 .  Finding it  hard to fathom picking up 200k in final level. Is it burning lives at the right time?  something else I'm missing.? 

Its all burning lives on backwood 6. You arent as far off as you think you are because so many points are accumulated there. A great no death run through the first 17 stages (everything but backwood 6) is going to net just shy of 80k. Each life burned on backwood 6 will net 20k and then some. I was actually thinking max would be somewhere between 280 and 285 and it seems like its right in there. That said, watch bert put up 300

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

BTW, I've also been trying to max the score in Contra so haven't been focusing on this game. I've made it to the end of loop 7. You need around 10 loops to max.

Wow thats crazy. Ive 1-lifed it but never tried a second loop. Thats been a long time though. Does it get harder through subsequent loops?

Just now, NESfiend said:

Wow thats crazy. Ive 1-lifed it but never tried a second loop. Thats been a long time though. Does it get harder through subsequent loops?

Yes, it gets harder after every loop. It starts getting pretty hard by around loop 4. Much more enemies, they shoot more, and the enemies in stage 8 take increasingly more hits to kill. In the later loops the mini boss in stage 8 becomes a tough boss. You have to dodge the shrimp it spits out because they take so many hits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yes, it gets harder after every loop. It starts getting pretty hard by around loop 4. Much more enemies, they shoot more, and the enemies in stage 8 take increasingly more hits to kill. In the later loops the mini boss in stage 8 becomes a tough boss. You have to dodge the shrimp it spits out because they take so many hits.

That's crazy. It's not an easy beat for one loop. Cant imagine 10 as it gets harder. How long have you been working on that? Seems herculean

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

That's crazy. It's not an easy beat for one loop. Cant imagine 10 as it gets harder. How long have you been working on that? Seems herculean

I started trying last week because of a Contra contest on AtariAge (I'm second place. First place player maxed the score already.)

I've completed three or four loops before, but never made a serious high score effort until now.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Contra is one of my absolute favorite NES games right up there with Tetris and Marble Madness. It's near perfect IMO.

Let's get marble madness on the 2021 schedule. First non sports game I ever beat aside from mario 1. Id love to get hooked in for a week and try and break 180k. Short length right up my alley too

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

Let's get marble madness on the 2021 schedule. First non sports game I ever beat aside from mario 1. Id love to get hooked in for a week and try and break 180k. Short length right up my alley too

I've only broke 180k three times. I'd like to hit 181k someday.

The short length does give it an addictive "just one more try, I know I can do better" quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Another thing, the extra lives stop coming in loop 5, so you have to play well enough in the earlier loops to have enough in store because you'll need them.

20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Another thing, the extra lives stop coming in loop 5, so you have to play well enough in the earlier loops to have enough in store because you'll need them.

I wouldnt have the endurance to come close. Maxing the contra score would be pretty legendary though. Hammer that shit out 

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I wouldnt have the endurance to come close. Maxing the contra score would be pretty legendary though. Hammer that shit out 

Rolling the score in Kung Fu was one of my gaming goals that I accomplished recently. This is another one. I'm definitely gonna try.

• Wow! 1

17 hours ago, mbd39 said:

BTW, I've also been trying to max the score in Contra so haven't been focusing on this game. I've made it to the end of loop 7. You need around 10 loops to max.

Last time I did that it took me 7 loops to max the score playing straight without any point pressing.

10 hours ago, bertsampson said:

Sorry to disappoint again, but my cold play through last week got me sick.  This is all I got, and no matter the icy feel from the this "fun" game, I'm really feeling the burn.  See ya'll in the tournament!

Feel free to keep posting mediocre scores when you get there. I don't really want to have to try too hard.

23 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Last time I did that it took me 7 loops to max the score playing straight without any point pressing.

I think it takes around 10 unless you're point pressing. I didn't even hit 5 million yet when I was at loop 7.

Edited by mbd39