IGNORED

#1 Non-TMNT beat 'em up SNES game in your opinion?

Nintegageo

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Seconded. It does a good job combining the two franchises with levels alternating between the two formats. It also doesn't go over the top with the difficulty like many of the other Battletoads games that came out around the same time. Oh, and it has a two player mode where you can't hit the other player, that's nice.

Let me once again express how impressed I am that a 14 year old would know any of these things.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

I think King o Dragons is one I've never seen the ending to but I just love the game. Admittedly played it when I was younger so it could be nostalgia, thus thought to ask you great people.

Love King of Dragons.  This guy knows what is up.

• Thanks 1

For me it would be the Capcom titles, sure Konami had turtles, but not a whole lot else.

Final Fight 1 even if it's chopped is a personal favorite but so is Final Fight 3, yet outside that one and it's so hard I can't get through it, King of Dragons is tops in quality to rival and even pass the Turtles (if you aren't in love with the franchise which would help remove the favoritism.) 😄

I'm not sure why Turtles In Time is even the "default". Do people hold it in high regards due to nostalgia, love for the TMNT franchise, and/or is it just the game's fun collection of colorful locales and tons of setpieces that draws people to it? I always felt that Konami's beat'em ups (which almost all follow the exact same template and core gameplay) wear thin extremely quick as you're just repeating the same move over and over again, with little creativity in what you need to react to.

Meanwhile, Capcom's beat'em ups tend to be incredibly inventive and always bring something new to the table - from Punisher over Dungeons & Dragons to Alien vs. Predator, it's all exciting and plays incredibly well. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who doesn't really understand the genre very well, but what I've seen from fans tends to gravitate towards that same approach. Most don't like Konami's games very much, but they do deserve credit for incredible representation of the IPs that they licensed.

So, more to the point and on topic. From what I've played of Capcom's SNES brawlers (which isn't a lot, unfortunately) I liked Final Fight Tough a lot. It's a super good looking game, and there's a great pace, constantly moving forward. I played it co-op though, and the game felt extremely easy. Like I said, I'm no expert at the genre, and we mowed through it, 1CC'ing it in our first try. Maybe it's more challenging playing solo?
I've heard lots of great stuff about King of Dragons though, though the SNES port looks very down-played it supposedly plays really well. Bought it some time ago, and looking forward to putting time into it.

Looking outside the traditional belt scroller though, the real winners on SNES are undoubtedly Natsume! I don't think I've played many beat'em ups that are as immediately satisfying as The Ninja Warriors Again. I love the single-plane gameplay which completely eradicates the awkward side stepping dodges, and forces you to deal head-on with everything on the screen that moves.

rvnwa2.png rvnwa4.png

Playing as Ninja (the big blue guy) especially is both satisfying and involving. As a slow guy with a powerful grab and throw, his game is all about crowd control, and the incredibly varied enemy roster constantly gives you new permutations to react to, that keeps the gameplay exciting and challenging throughout the surprisingly long game! If you're only ever playing one SNES beat'em up, there is no reason to make it anything other than this game. It's fantastic, and probably a top 10 SNES game in my book.

Ws5MNTR.gif bmd6W9O.gif W99sg1d.gif

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I think the sorta closest thing to it being in a series would be the Capcom D&D ones which were arcade and I think JP Saturn had the 2 in 1 as well.

It was very much the prototype for the two D&D arcade games.  Love those too.

18 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure why Turtles In Time is even the "default". Do people hold it in high regards due to nostalgia, love for the TMNT franchise, and/or is it just the game's fun collection of colorful locales and tons of setpieces that draws people to it? I always felt that Konami's beat'em ups (which almost all follow the exact same template and core gameplay) wear thin extremely quick as you're just repeating the same move over and over again, with little creativity in what you need to react to.

Meanwhile, Capcom's beat'em ups tend to be incredibly inventive and always bring something new to the table - from Punisher over Dungeons & Dragons to Alien vs. Predator, it's all exciting and plays incredibly well. And I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who doesn't really understand the genre very well, but what I've seen from fans tends to gravitate towards that same approach. Most don't like Konami's games very much, but they do deserve credit for incredible representation of the IPs that they licensed.

So, more to the point and on topic. From what I've played of Capcom's SNES brawlers (which isn't a lot, unfortunately) I liked Final Fight Tough a lot. It's a super good looking game, and there's a great pace, constantly moving forward. I played it co-op though, and the game felt extremely easy. Like I said, I'm no expert at the genre, and we mowed through it, 1CC'ing it in our first try. Maybe it's more challenging playing solo?
I've heard lots of great stuff about King of Dragons though, though the SNES port looks very down-played it supposedly plays really well. Bought it some time ago, and looking forward to putting time into it.

Looking outside the traditional belt scroller though, the real winners on SNES are undoubtedly Natsume! I don't think I've played many beat'em ups that are as immediately satisfying as The Ninja Warriors Again. I love the single-plane gameplay which completely eradicates the awkward side stepping dodges, and forces you to deal head-on with everything on the screen that moves.

rvnwa2.png rvnwa4.png

Playing as Ninja (the big blue guy) especially is both satisfying and involving. As a slow guy with a powerful grab and throw, his game is all about crowd control, and the incredibly varied enemy roster constantly gives you new permutations to react to, that keeps the gameplay exciting and challenging throughout the surprisingly long game! If you're only ever playing one SNES beat'em up, there is no reason to make it anything other than this game. It's fantastic, and probably a top 10 SNES game in my book.

Ws5MNTR.gif bmd6W9O.gif W99sg1d.gif

I obviously concur.  +1.

• Haha 1

King of Dragons for me, then Final Fight. Haven't put enough time into Knights of the Round to say one way or the other. Seems a bit on the "cheap" side but then again I don't really know how to play it well. Still need to sink time into Ninja Warriors as well as it looks like an awesome game, but it's more an apples-to-oranges comparison without that Z-axis. I generally lump it in with other similar games like Altered Beast, Kung Fu Master or Vigilante.

True enough, but it's not as (delightfully) simplistic as those games, it still feels much more in the same ballpark as the belt scrollers. One important difference especially from Kung Fu/Vigilante, is that it doesn't have contact damage, and the grabs feel really similar to Final Fight.

Two Crude Dudes might be a more apt comparison though.

That said, the original arcade Ninja Warriors is definitely a lot like Vigilante, but it's also not a very good game. (it's just a very good soundtrack 😄)

Edited by Sumez