IGNORED

Massive Nintendo of America list

AlternatorDelux

A year ago, I started putting together a chronological list of NOA products just for fun, to see what I'd learn.  I ended up diving deep enough that the result was a list I believe to be more thorough than can be found in any one place.  I recently polished it up into a more convenient format, and I'm sure there are some here that could make use of it, so I'll post a link.

This information shouldn't be taken as absolutely definitive, and I'm always adjusting things when I learn more.  I regret not keeping track of specific sources along the way; I used everything from ancient forum posts to newspaper ads to narrow down release dates, along with my own memory of when items were available or advertised.  I did use a color-coding system to reflect my level of certainty for each date.

If anyone thinks there's a better way to do this, or to do the same thing for other companies/regions, you're free to use it as a base and take it in your own direction as long as you link back to it.  I appreicate any information you can give me to add, but be sure to read the FAQ first; if something is missing, there's a good chance there's a reason for it.  Here's a link that will stay updated:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc8/22871/chronicle-pdf-407k?dn=y&dnad=y

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Wow! 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few missing items have been added after confirming that they're Nintendo-produced.  Namely, the Pokémon Emerald tin and soundtracks for both Twilight Princess and Twilight Princess HD.  These are all in the (1) pre-order bonus or (2) Nintendo Power subscription bonus categories; there's a chance there are more items in those categories where Nintendo can be confirmed as the publisher, so I'd appreciate any information on those from experts on the subject.  And if anyone knows of a thorough guide to either of those categories already out there, that would be great.

If you have specific examples to share, just remember that the producers of these categories of items are usually third-party, and typically can only be confirmed to be first-party if they're in the form of certain types of media. (In the Emerald tin's case, the printed materials it contains are conclusive enough).  If you're not sure what I mean, I'd be glad to get more specific about why over any suggested items.

Edited by AlternatorDelux

• 3 weeks later...

I've added a few items in the above-mentioned categories, namely the Nintendo Power Advance Headphones and two different Banjo-Kazooie soundtracks.  For the next step, I want to add all of the posters and other printed materials such as decals that were obtained through Nintendo Power or its catalog, but were not included in the issues themselves.  I currently don't have access to many of the catalogs between 1994 and 1999.  Is there anyone who can help with that?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Things may have been quiet here for a while, but progress hasn't stopped.  A huge number of pre-order items were added to the list today by holding them to a more expansive standard: Either when the item is known or has a very high likelihood of being produced by Nintendo, or when the packaging indicates it was supplied by Nintendo, even if the contents are known to be procuded by another company.

I hope to do the same for Nintendo Power-related items next, but not until I have access to all of the Super Power Supplies catalogs, so that I can do it all at once.  There's been a lot of progress on that front too, with 20 of the 24 catalogs accounted for.  The last few have long been elusive.  I could use the help of anyone who has these around.

• 1 year later...

I've been working on this step for ages, but I was finally able to compile the full list of products offered in Super Power Supplies along with a handful of other missing magazine-related bonus items.  I've been wanting to do this all at once, so after narrowing them down to those that were more likely than not to be Nintendo-produced, I've expanded the criteria for what types of items are listed.  Of course, if you have any information suggesting otherwise, don't hesitate to share.

This project has now reached what I've always wanted to be its final form as far as scope is concerned, though updates will continue whenever new information comes along.

This is incredibly awesome and informative.  I guess my only question would be why you didn't include their arcade releases?  The actual amount of titles is extremely small relative to the rest of the work you've compiled here, and including them would make this an all-encompassing guide of products from essentially the day NOA opened their doors in America...

I left arcade games out because everything here goes under what I see as the consumer products side of things, rather than things that were more designed to be in public places, which would also include stuff like store demo hardware and other items used during events.  I'm still interested in the arcade games, but didn't really see them as part of the same side of Nintendo in the way all of these are.  If I added just the arcade games continued to exclude those other things, it would be just for the sake of making the "game" list complete, which would be easy enough to do as its own thing.

That said, the door is open for anyone to use this as a starting point for whatever list they'd want to compile themselves, as long as they link back to this.

• Like 1