IGNORED

Acronyms to help users not in the know

Gloves

On 9/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, Hammerfestus said:

- Repo = Repro = Reproduction = someone that needs this dictionary

- PSX = PlayStation 1

- H-Seam = Seam in the back of a sealed NES box. (I have no idea if this is outside of the scope of what you’re going for but this and y folds and all that stuff comes up a lot and I could see being confusing.  Also I don’t sealed so I don’t really know either.)

A PSX and PlayStation are 2 completely different consoles, why would you think those are the same?

On 9/15/2020 at 11:03 PM, Sumez said:

Here's a really useful suggestion

Repro = Bootleg

Repro means reproduction, not bootleg, that's not even close. Like when Limited Run just released new copies of Star Wars on NES, those are reproductions. They were produced once and now they are being REproduced.

I cannot stand it when someone uses repro to refer to a bootleg game that was never produced initially. If it never saw production, then by definition it cannot be a reproduction.

1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

I graduated from high school in the 1990s. It doesn't change the fact that a PSX is not a PlayStation.

No it is not.  But the PlayStation was the system in the US referred to as PSX.  It is super cute that you’ve read the same factoid as everyone else here though.  Good job.

The PlayStation was originally marketed as "PlayStation X", and most people stuck to that abbreviation until well after PS2 was on the market.

The (PS2 based) device that would eventually be launched as "PSX" and annoy everyone for the same reason, didn't come out until much later.
(And even before then, Sony had also released a model called "PlayStation One", justifying keeping PSX and PS1 as separate acronyms.)

If you see someone talking about "PSX games", you can be pretty certain they are talking about the first PlayStation.

Edited by Sumez

13 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Repro means reproduction, not bootleg, that's not even close. Like when Limited Run just released new copies of Star Wars on NES, those are reproductions. They were produced once and now they are being REproduced.

Yes, you're correct. The "joke" in my post that you were quoting is that I see people all over the place using the term "repro" for straight up bootlegs.

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

The PlayStation was originally marketed as "PlayStation X", and most people stuck to that abbreviation until well after PS2 was on the market.

The (PS2 based) device that would eventually be launched as "PSX" and annoy everyone for the same reason, didn't come out until much later.
(And even before then, Sony had also released a model called "PlayStation One", justifying keeping PSX and PS1 as separate acronyms.)

If you see someone talking about "PSX games", you can be pretty certain they are talking about the first PlayStation.

So then how would someone go about selling PSX games?