IGNORED

Help identifying/playing a potential Silent Hill 2 prototype.

Kimbolemonslice

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

It means it was delivered to the general building address, but not to the OP or his household. Usually it means it's reached the mailroom of a company, but for apartments, it tends to mean that the apartment manager has it.

Or in principle, that's what it means. I've heard stories of postal dudes dropping packages off with any rando who happens to be in the vicinity of the apartment who says, "Yeah, sure, I'll make sure they get the package." And then the intended recipient never sees it.

@Kimbolemonslice, check with your apartment manager. It might be with them.

That's the thing I'm worried about since no management is here on the weekends

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There are free programs available that let you change the "created date" among other things on files.

Exactly. So it can all match to the released version, even creation date, but that still doesn't certify it being real. It's still the best case scenario, though, for a start.

Edited by prototector

8 hours ago, prototector said:

Exactly. So it can all match to the released version, even creation date, but that still doesn't certify it being real. It's still the best case scenario, though, for a start.

Yeah, If the game still shows up I'll check the dates first. I don't think the guy selling it was trying to pull any shenanigans he mentioned he got it In a trade and couldn't figure out how to get it to play on his ps2. His store had all positive feedback and it seemed like an unnecessary risk for him to make this disc he only was asking $40.

1 hour ago, imabadguy1 said:

Its been dumped, here's all the differences https://hiddenpalace.org/Silent_Hill_2_(May_1,_2001_prototype)

Oh wow that's a small game, that is consistent with the amount of data on the disc so rather it's legit or made recently that's probably the build on the disc.

1 minute ago, Kimbolemonslice said:

Actually it has the exact same dates as these files. Is it possibly still legit?

Hard to tell, anyone can just download the prototype and burn the files to a DVD-R, they didn't even burn it properly in this case so it won't work on a PS2, you'd need load the BIN/CUE files in the DVD burning software for it to actually work. I think what happened is that this prototype was ripped as BIN/CUE and distributed online, the actual physical copy probably never surfaced.

Here's another idea, there's some software that will read media manufacture info (that is the manufacturer of the DVD-R media), I think the one I used was called Nero CD-DVD Speed, you can probably get enough info to determine when this actual disc got manufactured.

Administrator · Posted

That is the date someone 'dumped' the disc.  Definitely not a "legit" proto.  It's not a legit 2001 prototype, if someone dumped the disc in 2009, and the image files on your disc are the 2009 files.

That disc is about as valuable as the one I shared a picture of.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

6 minutes ago, spacepup said:

That is the date someone 'dumped' the disc.  Definitely not a "legit" proto.  It's not a legit 2001 prototype, if someone dumped the disc in 2009, and the image files on your disc are the 2009 files.

That disc is about as valuable as the one I shared a picture of.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Lol i actually think yours is more valuable. Mine his a corrupt game file that won't play and a bunch of scratches. It's all good I took a gamble and it didn't pay off. Silent hill is my favorite series so I would've loved for it to be real, better luck next time

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry to say, second the others. It looks like they just took the bin/cue files uploaded to the internet and literally wrote those to the disc, rather than writing the data of the bin itself to the disc. I was expecting the latter at least, but this looks blatantly terrible.

EDIT:
Wow, the file names are nearly identical to the uploaded ones. Only difference, they just trimmed off the "_VER_E3" after the "2".

@Kimbolemonslice, could you please open the cue file in Notepad? What is the name of the bin file referenced in the text?

Edited by prototector

2 hours ago, prototector said:

Yeah, sorry to say, second the others. It looks like they just took the bin/cue files uploaded to the internet and literally wrote those to the disc, rather than writing the data of the bin itself to the disc. I was expecting the latter at least, but this looks blatantly terrible.

EDIT:
Wow, the file names are nearly identical to the uploaded ones. Only difference, they just trimmed off the "_VER_E3" after the "2".

@Kimbolemonslice, could you please open the cue file in Notepad? What is the name of the bin file referenced in the text?

I can tomorrow when I stop by my parents house