IGNORED

Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (2022 release)

Sumez

Or rather, new Kiki Kaikai sequel, undoubtedly in the same style as Natsume's two existing SNES entries, since it's being made by the same people.

I've been hoping to see a completely new IP from Tengo Project, but a new sequel is still more interesting than yet another remake. Baby steps 🙂 

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 3

On 9/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, ifightdragons said:

this is clearly a remaster/remake of the first game

Jury's still out on that 😛 Seems to be conflicting information.

I think the way to read that interview though is that, at its core this is a remake of the original, but I think they are giving it so big of an overhaul that it's pretty much a completely new game (unlike say Wild Guns which feels more like an expanded version of the original). Either way is fine to me, though.

I saw some post about the name Natsume would publish this game with in the west, but now I can't find it. So for now we'll just call it "Pocky & Rocky 2021".

• The title was changed to Pocky & Rocky 2021
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Jury's still out on that 😛 Seems to be conflicting information.

I think the way to read that interview though is that, at its core this is a remake of the original, but I think they are giving it so big of an overhaul that it's pretty much a completely new game (unlike say Wild Guns which feels more like an expanded version of the original). Either way is fine to me, though.

I saw some post about the name Natsume would publish this game with in the west, but now I can't find it. So for now we'll just call it "Pocky & Rocky 2021".

Thanks for the explanation, seems like a good tentative title 🙂

Very cool news nonetheless!

• The title was changed to Pocky & Rocky Reshrined (2022 release)

The game is finally out, available digitally yesterday, and my copy just shipped from Amazon!

I can't wait to try it, has anyone digged their teeth in yet?

There's a whole slew of new content, and the most recent trailers just continue to look more and more amazing

No one else playing it?

As expected, I love this game. It's a little easier than I'd expected too, given the pedigree of the developers, but it's fine. Feels balanced much like the 90s console action game that it's based on, and it definitely takes a bit of practice to get through without dying.

Anyway, in case it wasn't established now, this game is 100% a sequel, both in terms of content, story and gameplay. If you like any of the original Pocky & Rocky or Kiki Kaikai games, this one is a no-brainer. Hell if you like fun action games at all, this one is a no-brainer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Californication said:

but It doesn't seem as good as the originals.

What made you come to that conclusion?

I don't know if it's not as good, but if that's the case, the original must have been something really special. I never clicked with any of the SNES games when I played them, but this one had me pretty much from the start. I'm probably gonna go back and play at least the first SNES one again now to compare them.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

What made you come to that conclusion?

I don't know if it's not as good, but if that's the case, the original must have been something really special. I never clicked with any of the SNES games when I played them, but this one had me pretty much from the start. I'm probably gonna go back and play at least the first SNES one again now to compare them.

The reviews are super positive and I saw one indie game reviewers say this is better than the originals, but they are a person that prefers easy games. 

I own both SNES games and have played a good amount of Pocky and Rocky and some of Pocky and Rocky 2. I have been avoiding full play through of the new game because I want to get the full experience when the game arrives.

That being said, when I played Pocky and Rocky, it took me a good amount of time to get far in the game, and I think that is because the level design was beautifuly designed to match the characters abilities. From the playthroughs I have seen of Enshrined the levels don't seem as well designed, and this may be because there are multiple characters and it is not possible to tailor the level to just one character. So essentially the level layout, and multiple abilities seem to make the game easier. 

I am really looking forward to playing the game, but from the high level view it doesn't look as good as the originals. And it is very hard for me to believe that many of these people getting full runs in on day one etc. can do the same in the original.

6 hours ago, Californication said:

From the playthroughs I have seen of Enshrined the levels don't seem as well designed, and this may be because there are multiple characters and it is not possible to tailor the level to just one character. So essentially the level layout, and multiple abilities seem to make the game easier. 

I think Story Mode actually handles that quite well. Each stage has a specific character assigned to it, and usually that one has a skill or moveset that's useful on that particular stage.

Free Mode lets you use any character across all stages, which leads to situations where a character can completely bypass some challenges, while it can potentially have some issues that the "intended" character didn't (though IMO the laser ferret makes most of the game a lot easier).
I think the different characters are quite well implemented. They aren't balanced, and don't need to be, but they manage to provide very fun alternate ways to play the game.

• Like 1

I'm sill waiting on Playasia to send me my copy of this.  It's kind of annoying because I bought the Japanese version since I could never get an answer from Natsume USA if they were going to bring this one over or not. 

Given how Wild Guns Reloaded and TNWOA were treated, I think it was a given this would receive a wide international release as well. And I'm very happy to see that it does. 🙂

I order from Play-Asia quite often as well, but shipping always takes forever. I got this one from Amazon JP and had the game 4 days after release. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

4 hours ago, CMR said:

I'm sill waiting on Playasia to send me my copy of this.  It's kind of annoying because I bought the Japanese version since I could never get an answer from Natsume USA if they were going to bring this one over or not. 

I’d shoot them an email. Mine was sent out on release day and took about a week max to arrive.