IGNORED

Official VGS Original Art Thread

Tanooki

The official VGS Original Art Thread.

Post your works.  Hand drawn, tablet, computer based stylus pad.  Knock yourself out, have fun and share.

The only reason I'm interested really other than amusement seeing them, I found a Wacom Intuos Draw tablet for computer today and have been dabbling a little using blank sheets in photoshop CS2.  Trying at this point just to get used to its handling with pressure needed, etc to do nice stuff.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 5

Events Team · Posted
On 10/24/2019 at 5:30 PM, CasualCart said:

Thanks - it's a traditional pen drawing that I colored in photoshop, then added a noise filter.

-CasualCart

This is how he produced the Sage mascot.  Not sure if it's Casual's go to method or not but I will also scan my drawings and color/manipulate them in Photoshop. 

• Like 1

Scanning is possible, have one of those scanner/printer devices here next to me.  I'm just having fun with the actual ability to draw on the touch surface right into the computer as I've wanted to do it for years but never got one.  Back when I used to draw a lot like 20 years ago they were just poor quality and expensive.

Graphics Team · Posted

Thanks @JamesRobot and @a3quit4s

@Tanooki - yeah, I like to do my linework on paper or digitally in Flash, then coloring mainly in Photoshop.

525351440_CasualCartArtSetup.jpg.7f3c667e09dad7846a69522ca0ecaafe.jpg

493980784_CasualCartusedDoodle.jpg.5b98dcf3d8085d54f80db6e190f1c4b6.jpg

My setup is my laptop and a Wacom Cintiq 22HD. It would probably be overkill for a hobbyist, but I used to use a Wacom Bamboo (which is very similar to the Draw tablet you have) and they're great once you get used to them. 

As far as software, I use the Adobe Suite Cs6 (their last non-subscription package) for my non-professional stuff. Cs2 might be a little too dated for your needs, but there's plenty of budget-friendly options (I've heard great things about Clip Studio Paint, for example).

It's hard to say how long it takes on average to make these drawings that I throw around VGS, but the one here took me like 30 min to draw and maybe 15 to color.

Hope this is helpful - if you have any more specific questions I'm happy to discuss more!

-CasualCart

• Like 9

6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

@Tanooki - yeah, I like to do my linework on paper or digitally in Flash, then coloring mainly in Photoshop.

My setup is my laptop and a Wacom Cintiq 22HD. It would probably be overkill for a hobbyist, but I used to use a Wacom Bamboo (which is very similar to the Draw tablet you have) and they're great once you get used to them. 

As far as software, I use the Adobe Suite Cs6 (their last non-subscription package) for my non-professional stuff. Cs2 might be a little too dated for your needs, but there's plenty of budget-friendly options (I've heard great things about Clip Studio Paint, for example).

It's hard to say how long it takes on average to make these drawings that I throw around VGS, but the one here took me like 30 min to draw and maybe 15 to color.

Hope this is helpful - if you have any more specific questions I'm happy to discuss more!

-CasualCart

Yeah it is thanks.  I was curious how you approached it.  Flash is something I never figured out, would be curious to see how that would be done but seems like more effort than needed if one can use a tablet like the wacom, or just scan it in and do photoshop magic to add some nice finishes and color to an image.

I'm not a fan of adobe and their digital ways with subs now, we have, well the wife has one for their CC program or whatever it is.  CS2 they did this weird give away when they shifted to the digital model and I bagged it which is why I use that vs something else like GIMP which I'm not a fan of (tried a few times over gaps of years, hated it.)

I did see that when I looked up this device I found it was basically the bamboo which as you said, it's great, when you get comfortable with it and I'd like to do that as it seems like a lot of fun, even at the least as a time waster or something my almost nine year old could have fun doodling with too as she got a kick out of it.

Truth is I have a nasty perfectionist streak combined with a mental blindness(can't  remember the more technical term but there is one) that I know what I want to draw but I can never form the image in my mind and therefore can't transfer it to paper.  Over the years I'd basically look for an image in a book, etc and when I was at my peak I was capable of copying it pretty accurately from a more goofy toon to maybe a more serious looking manga style art.  To test the thing out, I went freestyle looking at a 1997 Tomy/Nintendo Pokemon toy I have of Charmander on the desk here try and get comfy with it and this is the result.  I think I need to tweak the sensitivity as it was breaking the lines up a bit as you can see here.

charmander.thumb.jpg.e3b68a5e65b75cf868d2ce47917f4e54.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, Casual's stuff is amazing. Me and him worked together on the character in my profile pic, and he did some really fantastic work on it.

502757918_ZeldaFreakZFCharacter.thumb.png.06e2e2e7a795f7117aef647a20602bea.png

1119233060_ZeldaFreakZFCharacter(ActionPose).thumb.png.0b3aa68bdafe72906e22ceee14a7db59.png

1907048076_ZeldaFreakZFCharacter(Halloween).thumb.png.4599640701514b6c5e3a59f6d6c8b703.png

915955010_ZeldaFreakZFCharacter(Christmas).thumb.png.bfbc2816325493ab22226e511e674f03.png

1638721854_ZeldaFreakZFLogo.thumb.png.a5bcbf60673a30ac3078687fa2cd9d3f.png

Wow, it made it looks like your avatar has been sponsored by some big corp or something.

And here I am, still with my old ass pic of Luigi built in pixel blocks.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I recently got an XP Pen (drawing tablet w/ a screen similar to the Wacom Casual has, but a bit cheaper). We should like make a dedicated game art thread and all of us learn and grow together.

Oh man, I am down like a clown for that dude!

Any excuse to fire up the ol' MS paint! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1