IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

6 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

IMO these games can’t be definitive because of their inverted controls! But also because the GC has an analog R button and Switch does not, so technically some amount of fidelity was removed from the game with FLUDD.

It is objectively ridiculous that the $70 Pro Controller doesn't have analog triggers. Apparently some Switch games actually support analog trigger presses when using the Gamecube controller, but of course Super Mario Sunshine (a Gamecube game), does not.

Such a Nintendo move.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Apparently some Switch games actually support analog trigger presses when using the Gamecube controller, but of course Super Mario Sunshine (a Gamecube game), does not.

I was just about to ask this very question, so that's interesting, but also disappointing. 

Can GameCube controllers be used for any Switch game, or only games that are compatible with it?  I have the GC controller adapter, but I've never bothered trying to use it yet.   

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I was just about to ask this very question, so that's interesting, but also disappointing. 

Can GameCube controllers be used for any Switch game, or only games that are compatible with it?  I have the GC controller adapter, but I've never bothered trying to use it yet.   

I am no expert, but I believe games have to be coded to specifically work with the Gamecube controller due to a lack of shoulder buttons (only 3 shoulder buttons on GC controller). And since Sunshine was given new controls which utilize all four shoulder buttons, it wouldn't be able to be played properly with the Gamecube controller.

Clear as mud, right?

Currently at 61 Shines on Sunshine. IIRC it's 70 to beat the game? Can't see myself going for 100% anytime soon simply due to how frustrating it is at points. Yoshi's Fruit Adventure, the watermelon level, that pachinko machine...

I have come to enjoy it again somewhat, but it was a lot better in my memory lmao.

Edited by Cepp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cepp said:

Currently at 61 Shines on Sunshine. IIRC it's 70 to beat the game? Can't see myself going for 100% anytime soon simply due to how frustrating it is at points. Yoshi's Fruit Adventure, the watermelon level, that pachinko machine...

I have come to enjoy it again somewhat, but it was a lot better in my memory lmao.

There are a number of extremely tedious shines in this game. I haven't even got that far and my interest has already dwindled super fast. Even with the 2nd Petey Piranha fight in the first world.... I kept aiming at his feet when he'd open his mouth because the (non)inverted controls or use the light spray and end up running forward. It turned into a really annoying 10 min boss battle which should be super simple.They need to patch the controls ASAP... extremely disappointing since this was the game I was looking forward to the most and it's not really fun to play in its current state for me.  

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

There are a number of extremely tedious shines in this game. I haven't even got that far and my interest has already dwindled super fast. Even with the 2nd Petey Piranha fight in the first world.... I kept aiming at his feet when he'd open his mouth because the (non)inverted controls or use the light spray and end up running forward. It turned into a really annoying 10 min boss battle which should be super simple.They need to patch the controls ASAP... extremely disappointing since this was the game I was looking forward to the most and it's not really fun to play in its current state for me.  

I've adjusted to the controls now but it took some effort and its certainly not ideal. Half an hour with Galaxy the other night and the jump IN quality was immediately noticeable.

I dont think they'll patch in better controls tbh, considering Sunshine doesn't even support the GC controller.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I completely understand how frustrating that can be.  It's absolutely inexcusable that any game can be released on a modern console without the ability to customize the controls.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cepp said:

I believe you need to beat all the baby Bowser's first, which means completing the 7th shine in each stage.

I'm gonna get all the regular shines first, then once that's done I'll use a guide to find all the blue coins because FUUUUUUUUCK that.

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I completely understand how frustrating that can be.  It's absolutely inexcusable that any game can be released on a modern console without the ability to customize the controls.  

Yeah I am regretting my purchase pretty bad right now although I was never really ecstatic about the game in the first place. I don't use the portability of the Switch, Mario 64 took like 4 or 5 hrs to fully complete, Galaxy is only marginally better in terms of graphics, and Sunshine is really disappointing with the controls. I know I can get over the difference in controls with enough time but it's still pretty tedious so far playing through the first few worlds. I think I'll try and sell it quickly to get the bulk of my money back.

I also doubt Nintendo will patch it. Unless there is anything completely broken I doubt they'll give any patches or updates. They couldn't be bothered to put in any effort before the game was released so I'm not sure why'd they'd make adjustments now.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I also doubt Nintendo will patch it. Unless there is anything completely broken I doubt they'll give any patches or updates. They couldn't be bothered to put in any effort before the game was released so I'm not sure why'd they'd make adjustments now.

Agreed.  To the best of my knowledge, they still haven't patched the NES Classic games on the Switch, many of which are unplayable without the NES controller, so I doubt they will fix this.  

4 minutes ago, phart010 said:

How are the NES games unplayable ?

I cannot play any of the NES Mario games with the B and A buttons in the layout of the Switch controller (my thumb doesn't bend that way).   I can play them fine with the NES controllers that they released for the Switch, but regardless, it's still pretty lame that you can't reassign the controls.  

If I'm wrong about reassigning the controls, someone please tell me.  I've brought it up before, but I'm not aware of the option.   

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I cannot play any of the NES Mario games with the B and A buttons in the layout of the Switch controller (my thumb doesn't bend that way).   I can play them fine with the NES controllers that they released for the Switch, but regardless, it's still pretty lame that you can't reassign the controls.  

If I'm wrong about reassigning the controls, someone please tell me.  I've brought it up before, but I'm not aware of the option.   

Is there an accessible option in the main Switch home menu? I know that's what I have to resort to time and again for my PS 4 which is insane... but it is what it is. Funny because I was playing Quake 64 the other day and you can change almost everything on the controller options. What happened?

HOLY SHIT GUYS!!!

The gods of Super Mario Sunshine are smiling upon me today! I just started the cleaning up Serena Beach Shine, normally you get 3 minutes to clean the whole thing and it's a bitch to get done in time, but look!!!

IMG20200927020208.thumb.jpg.7d2acedc3fdf55450b0eba79d3e989a5.jpg

IMG20200927020227.thumb.jpg.6dacac0dc90405f705d6970bfa9f0e10.jpg

Some kind of glitch I guess, the dude gave me the shine early after cleaning up only a tiny bit of the beach!!!

DON'T MIND IF I DO! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS!!!

The gods of Super Mario Sunshine are smiling upon me today! I just started the cleaning up Serena Beach Shine, normally you get 3 minutes to clean the whole thing and it's a bitch to get done in time, but look!!!

Some kind of glitch I guess, the dude gave me the shine early after cleaning up only a tiny bit of the beach!!!

DON'T MIND IF I DO! 😉

That exact issue happened to me as well! I wonder if it's glitch from the original game or in the emulation?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS!!!

DON'T MIND IF I DO! 😉

1 hour ago, Cepp said:

That exact issue happened to me as well! I wonder if it's glitch from the original game or in the emulation?

Seems to be a known glitch for this emulated version.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/this_3d_all-stars_bug_allows_you_to_complete_a_mario_sunshine_mission_in_less_than_10_seconds

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

HOLY SHIT GUYS!!!

DON'T MIND IF I DO! 😉

I saw something about it, it's a known glitch.  It can be done even faster if you like juggle a couple spray moves that cause you to kind of fling water everywhere (360) like a sprinkler.  There's a clip on youtube about it I bumped into.  That stage really sucked back in the day, but if you trigger it, it's overly easy and saves a lot of annoyance.

• Like 1

You keep giving me flashbacks to Sunshine 15 years ago and why I liked and equally hated it, never really hated a Mario game before.  Yoshi the water soluble bitch, that river, the crappy perspective messing with jumps in those 'crash like' into the screen stages w/no FLUDD (same with the side scrollers.)  It largely makes a good chunk of the game an insufferable chore despite the rest shining so nicely.

I'm kind of on this staycation thing during the week due to work on the house so I was planning on pulling Mario back out again, largely thinking N64 and Wii first more and more.  Might be best to leave the sunshine, sunset.  I don't need any broken joycons or worse.