IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

SPOILERS:

Got it this morning at Fred Meyer.  Put on Mario 64 and have been playing for half an hour or so.

First thoughts:

Mario seems to slide a bit or turn a bit when doing tight 180s.  Maybe cause it's been awhile since I played the 64 version but it's a bit weird to me.  Maybe a bad joystick on my end but my pro controller has been good to me.

Nice sharp graphics, but still retaining much of the N64 charm.  I think it is better than the OoT and MM remake on 3DS

l think the intro scenes seem a tiny bit sped up as well.

Doing the triple jump in the opening area before entering the castle seems to be much higher than I remember.  Doing it in stages seems normal though

No more, SO LONG GAY BOWSER.  That's been changed to Bye Bye.

Overall I like it and I think it's pretty good overall considering I haven't touched Sunshine or Galaxy yet.  I'd give it a 9.5 for the most part so far.

Edited by Space Jockey
Misspell

Played through the first few stars in each game. The games all look pretty damn good with Sunshine getting the biggest quality upgrade in terms of graphics... It looks awesome. Galaxy looks a little sharper for sure and 64 has that extra polygon look from the boosted graphics. A few graphical anomalies/glitches in 64/sunshine but nothing major. 

64 definitely seems to suffer performance wise. Frame rate is better but somehow the game feels more sluggish than the original and there's likely a touch of input delay. It definitely has that emulator feel to it but overall pretty much what you'd expect I guess. It doesn't handle as well as on 64. 

On a not so related note... EB Games is a joke. 4 people working in there this morning. One guy on cash and the others doing absolutely nothing since the store was at capacity with the line. The guy on cash was trying to upsell everyone on pre-orders and warranty coupled with edge membership info. Pretty much threatening with the warranty because "it's an ultra limited game only being made until March". Took me about 40 minutes to get out of there and I was 6th in line. They're gonna be a last resort from now on out.  Also, legitimately 1/3 of the store is Pop figures now lol... Haven't been in one for a while. Terrible experience. I got deja vu when he told me Pikmin 3 and 3d world were up for pre order. 

Haha I don't know what is with Mario's character in 64... When you're zoomed out his face takes on a bizarre shape depending on how he is moving. I saw it happen a number of times but captured here on my phone pretty good. Really strange. Almost like Minecraft Mario... His nose gets tiny. 

https://youtu.be/dfdJZMF9hJA

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Haha 1

I've just scratched the surface of all three a bit, I'd do more but I don't want burn out, and i'd like to focus on Sunshine primarily first anyway.

I'm more familiar with the other two though having been re-doing casually Mario64 on the PC vanilla original conversion, and then I got that Wii early this year which had Galaxy that I now and again pick at.

Mario 64 I find controls correctly and comfortably, maybe not N64 controller comfortable, because well like it or not, even those who like kind of reviled it for the slippery joystick issues.  Being used to using a 360 controller the transition to pro controller was seamless and I could do the better performing play I get off the PC port on the Switch that I'd find a bit harder with the slippery 64 stick.  Visually it's clean, clear, crisp with the refinished off art assets getting them tight and clean on the 2D surfaces from the info stuffs to the wall art.

Sunshine, I wish I could get into it, seems to look, play and sound much the same in general.  Visually it's HD now, all the visuals getting the same dust up the n64 did to bump it cleanly up to HD quality and not look bad scaling it up.  The controls work quite well and if anything it's right there on par play wise, even with the random tight quarters camera hang ups people get annoyed with.

Galaxy now that one I've played it recently on Wii, I've done it on Dolphin before too using a game pad or the USB sensor bar to use wii parts.  It's clean, clear, beautiful like Dolphin made it some years ago once the bugs were worked out by that team.  They did a solid service combo emulating and recoding that one so it runs at peak quality.  Again using the pro controller I found the way about using the remotes pointer that's gone pretty simple, took a moment to get used to it having to tap R to get gyro going but that's it and it's easy without harm to physical play.  Because, that's all it is, they now assigned other waggle crap to buttons like Y does the spin/spin to launch on star stuff and it makes it if anythign easier, faster, and more intuitive to play as I took down that first piranha petey boss very much faster than using waggle style.

My only gripe outside that, it's the games, isn't beyond what I wrote above so far.  I hate you can't take that lovely sound track and get it off there.  Yeah I know Nintendo won't allow MP3s, but it would be sweet to get it as a usable digital format off the system.  I recently got the Mario64 CD locally by luck, MP3'd that for the phone and listen to it a bit here and there and the other two would be awesome too.

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

If you hoped they changed the inverted camera controls to normal, they did do that.  If you like inverted y axis, like I do, you are out of luck (currently).

Oh, well that's better... for me at least, lol.  My kids have been playing Mario 64 ever since I got home with it, so I haven't even gotten to try it out yet.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

I can understand why you are happy.  If you are used to playing one way or the other, normal or inverted, it is super difficult to adjust to the other way.  Guess that is why many games give you the choice in options. 

It is strange for them to flip the control style in all stars without an option though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

It is strange for them to flip the control style in all stars without an option though.

They really should put the option in there.  Maybe they will patch it soon.

My son was playing Zelda one day and asked me to help him with one part.  Well he had his camera controls inverted and it broke my brain trying to do what he needed, my muscle memory just wouldn't cooperate.  When I gave him the controller back I suggested he change it back to 'normal' because not every game would let him set it 'backwards' and he probably wouldn't want to hone his skills with it that way.  He's young and can adapt better than old, set in my ways, me at least.  

When I revisited Sunshine on the GameCube a few years ago I gave up in frustration, so I feel your pain Deadeye.

Edited by Jicsan

Inverted aim FTW!!! Makes me feel like a fighter pilot! 🚀

8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Haha I don't know what is with Mario's character in 64... When you're zoomed out his face takes on a bizarre shape depending on how he is moving. I saw it happen a number of times but captured here on my phone pretty good. Really strange. Almost like Minecraft Mario... His nose gets tiny. 

This is actually also present in the original game too, and you can make it out although obviously it's not as easy to see with the lower resolution on original hardware.

The point of it is to save polygons when you zoom out to see a wider scene, not as many are needed for Mario and more are needed for the overall scene, so they swap out the model. I saw a really interesting video about it once:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yeah that's a standard rendering technique. There are multiple versions of the same model with decreasing detail, called LODs (level of detail), that swap in and out depending on how much of the screen the model takes up. This reduces the number of triangles that need to be drawn. In modern games the LODs are set up to not be noticeable when swapped between, but obviously that isn't the case with Mario 64.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Yeah that's a standard rendering technique. There are multiple versions of the same model with decreasing detail, called LODs (level of detail), that swap in and out depending on how much of the screen the model takes up. This reduces the number of triangles that need to be drawn. In modern games the LODs are set up to not be noticeable when swapped between, but obviously that isn't the case with Mario 64.

You kidding me? Watching that footage only TWO words come to mind.

Seam. Less. 😛

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

It's finally here! Got the Taiwan version, hot off the presses (also picked up Mario Party)!

IMG20200919184619.thumb.jpg.9994fd541a3068d43041ef3517ce1c82.jpg

Taiwan back:

IMG20200919184637.thumb.jpg.ee10977a693eeaf046e6b0a84439a67d.jpg

They also gave me a free poster! And a bunch of other random Switch promo stuff!

IMG20200919185612_01.thumb.jpg.d2cc2062356a4d4749583e672280cf59.jpg

IMG20200919185915.thumb.jpg.9ab76fdb88f932618e95261c07382aa1.jpg

Best day of my life??? Too close to call, lol! 😄

What are the things to the bottom left?

Been on a bender tonight, mainlining Super Mario 64! 40 stars in, I gotta say it looks fantastic, crisp and clean, loving it! It's definitely faster than the original too, I'm very very familiar with the way Mario 64 plays, and this is like noticeably faster. Not a complaint, it's actually quite refreshing, but yeah it feels like a different game, absolutely.

• Like 1