IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

2 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

n64

That video above is desperately grasping at straws not calling this a port lol. oy,,,

Technically speaking a port would be running natively on Switch hardware... Whether they upgraded it or not, that would be better than emulation... Is this ACTUALLY a port or is it just running in some sort of emulator?

30 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Future DLC?  Probably not, but that would make me laugh if they did it.

Though that would be fun, I don't know how they could abstract that content and then re-apply it.  If they did do that, the "patch" would be to basically dump the entire game from the ROM and then save the new one built from the DS version.  They only problem with that, though, would be resolving the save files.  Adding additional stars wouldn't be a big deal, but hitting all of the correct checkpoints for triggered events in the game and setting up the mini-game unlocking process could be a real headache.

But man... I wish we could get the DS port.

Also yesterday I played Mario 64 for the first time in probably 10 years.  The last time was playing it a bit on the Wii from the virtual console... I hate to admit it but I just dealt with the issues before.  My gosh... the camera controls are hooooooorible.  Forget worrying about using a d-pad and styles for a DS approach or a better controller config without middle joystick, if they would just re engineer how you center the camera on Mario, the game would be a lot more fun.  Easier, but a lot more fun.  I can deal with it, and I'm sure I will, but my kids just couldn't get into it.  A lot has changed, and they are way to use to more natural camera control.  I really hate to complain about such a classic but man... yeah, that camera control is terrible. Yuck.

On 9/4/2020 at 10:20 PM, fox said:

At least with 25th Anniversary you got 4 games, a nice box, a history booklet, and a music cd for $30

I wonder how many Our Fathers and Hail Marys that would be for such a flagrant act of SLOTH (one of the seven deadly sins mind you), probably the worst such act of sloth (for those of you in Rio Linda and UC Berkeley that means laziness) in Nintendo history. 😛 

Edited by Estil

14 hours ago, OptOut said:

Technically speaking a port would be running natively on Switch hardware... Whether they upgraded it or not, that would be better than emulation... Is this ACTUALLY a port or is it just running in some sort of emulator?

From what (and not just that one video I linked, but others) seem to be pointing to is that this is a very light touch remaster.  It has the appearance of being recoded, updated graphics in places needed such as prompts, ironing out any frame rate or other kinks, and looking a whole lot cleaner and smoother on textures.  But that appears to be it, otherwise they're basically re-using the original visual assets but seemingly run them through a high end cleaning process on all the textures to get them crisp, clean, and smooth for HD display.  That's why I said light touch, because had it been a full on remaster, they'd have gone all Odyssey graphics level on the whole lot of it from the ground out which this clearly didn't.

• Like 1

It's obviously a port. Porting the game would both be easier and more effective than trying to emulate it.
And yeah it has some remastered assets, which is probably the only part of this release that makes me mildly interested in it. 😛 It definitely feels a lot more "lazy" than the original All-Stars.

Obviously the limited time frame is a marketing approach. Nintendo have always been trying to combat the second hand market, and usually they do it by making games with enough of a lasting appeal that people don't want to resell. In this case I guess they realised these are just old games, and decided to just outrun the second hand market instead.

Either way, these games have all been released multiple times before (except maybe Sunshine?) and it's definitely not the last time they'll be released, far from it. Chances are a part of the limited time frame plan might just be that they are making a version available immediately after it runs out. Maybe a new collection with more game, maybe the games will be included with Nintendo's online service from that point on, maybe that's when they release a whole new platform?

Does anyone else just think it's because it's an anniversary and that's their timeline prior to starting the Zelda anniversary and doing the same thing with OoT, WW or TP and SS? I thought it had been known they were working on an SS version on Switch so this would make total sense. They are limiting the time not the number with these games. Perhaps I'm just a rare optimist with this hobby. Also it's not to stop them releasing the games as standalone titles once the anniversary is done as they've already been ported to the console.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

I've decided I'm just not going to buy it new. The more I hear about this, the worse it sounds. Not sure what they're intentions are in terms of the whole limited availability bs, but the way I've interpreted their actions I think they're predatory. I believe they're preying on the people that don't currently have a Switch and want the game, the people that already own the trilogy and were on the fence about it, and just anyone with a general fear of missing out. I seriously think they're going to convince a lot of people to buy it that normally wouldn't, simply because the word "limited" is associated with it. It's the same thing with Limited Run Games, they'd have way less people interested if they weren't limited. Not only that, but they put the least amount of effort into it as possible and it doesn't even come with a manual. Just a tiny cartridge in an oversized case with 3 barebones ports and they're charging $60 and making it sound like the deal of a lifetime. Can't wait until the new consoles come out and Nintendo either wakes the fuck up or gets burned 🙂

This kind of ties into my idea about the Zelda anniversary and the New Switch model. I was guessing that they are going to try to pull in as many Switch sales as possible before announcing the “Switch Pro”. If you announce a new system, people will not buy the current system, they’ll just wait for the new one. So maybe they’ll try to pressure the last segment of the population that hasn’t already bought a switch to get one before the limited timeline of this game expires.

Then maybe in February they’ll announce a new Zelda game for the anniversary which takes advantage of the “Switch Pro” features and surprise, Switch Pro ready for the market. A lot of people that have already bought original Switch will want to also buy the new system so that they can take advantage of all the features of its hit launch title.

This of course is all hypothetical, but it seems like a grand scheme.

Until the game is released, everything is speculation. People getting mad about it being a port although it looks like the ROM has exploits removed is the opposite of a port. For all we know, Mario 64 has had the code completely optimized. But outrage is better?

I think the last Mario All Stars for Wii was a way bigger rip off. Idk how ppl are pissed about this but the All Stars on Wii sold out immediately everywhere. And then was released with half the launch content. 

I guess 10 years makes a big difference in the fan base. Back then we were happy just to have some dank games on a disc. Now they give us the best Mario All Stars ever and people are boycotting. 

I'm sorry, it's just kinda sad how salty people get over good games being released. 

• Like 4

Guys, they're not taking a ROM optimized for different hardware and releasing it on their newest console. Any game engine allows you to specify target hardware prior to rendering the final ROM release. They're just going to go back to the original code that produced the last ROM, tweak the target hardware specifications in the engine and render a new ROM. That's probably why people have noticed slight differences.

It's funny for someone to think you type out some code and then hand the bare code to play on a system. That code has to be through a compiler to produce a playable file and Nintendo can always go back to the original code, make some tweaks and compile a new version.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Later remakes and ports being the crap they threw into 64 DS?  Good riddance.

Nintendo doesn't release enough games.  Nintendo doesn't release the games I want.  Nintendo doesn't release the games I want the way I want.  Nintendo is forcing me to buy because FOMO.

We all have massive backlogs.  We don't all need to buy every game that comes along.  Drop the $60 on Astral Chain or play through your unopened copy of Dragons Dogma instead.

Portable versions of three flagship Marios is worth double the asking price to me, but different strokes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Guys, they're not taking a ROM optimized for different hardware and releasing it on their newest console. Any game engine allows you to specify target hardware prior to rendering the final ROM release. They're just going to go back to the original code that produced the last ROM, tweak the target hardware specifications in the engine and render a new ROM. That's probably why people have noticed slight differences.

It's funny for someone to think you type out some code and then hand the bare code to play on a system. That code has to be through a compiler to produce a playable file and Nintendo can always go back to the original code, make some tweaks and compile a new version.

I wish porting was as easy as you make it seem. I get what you are saying that not everything needs to be rewritten from scratch, but old game engines are by no means written to produce builds for future consoles like the switch (unless they are still using the same engine which I would guess is not the case. Or at least it would be heavily modified). Pretty much everything that touches the system or rendering APIs would need to be rewritten, and considering the hardware has changed so much, I imagine it's not the simplest task. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
39 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I wish porting was as easy as you make it seem. I get what you are saying that not everything needs to be rewritten from scratch, but old game engines are by no means written to produce builds for future consoles like the switch (unless they are still using the same engine which I would guess is not the case. Or at least it would be heavily modified). Pretty much everything that touches the system or rendering APIs would need to be rewritten, and considering the hardware has changed so much, I imagine it's not the simplest task. 

You mean to tell me I can't plug in a Switch cart and a PS4 disc, copy-paste from one to the other, and play Mario Odyssey on PS4? Surely you jest.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, OptOut said:

2 of the best games ever made, (and Mario Sunshine 😛) on one cart for the price of a single game, playable on the big screen, on the bus, in bed or on the john... 🚽

I, for one, am outraged! 😡

Dig up Iwata's corpse immediately and force him to apologise! 😤 ☠️

Revive him so he can commit sudoku.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

It's some ports that come with no manual, no art book, nothing except the game and the cartridge. It's more expensive than what the games would be individually if Nintendo offered these games on the Virtual Console or on the eShop. It's only available for a limited time. It doesn't feature any content added in later remakes or ports of these games. Super Mario 64 is 30 fps with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Sunshine is 30 fps and widescreen. Galaxy is 60 fps and widescreen. None of these games run in the same way and the collection just feels half-baked and rushed out the door. Now it's still early and Nintendo does tend to bend when faced with backlash, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I appreciate that they're making 3 excellent games available to the masses but the way their doing this has just left a sour taste in my mouth. As fox said, there's always a catch with Nintendo 😞

Still early? The game goes to retail in 9 days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Still early? The game goes to retail in 9 days.

Just got a mental image of Shigsy and a bunch of Nintendo warehouse dudes madly hacking into shipping boxes and sealed copies of 3D All-stars to burn new ROMS of Super Mario 64 DS and Galaxy 2 onto the carts! 😄

Meanwhile, out of the corner of his eye, Doug Bowser notices a cargo plane full of Switch carts taxiing onto the runway... With a bundle of full-colour, 32 page Art Books in each hand, he makes a steely-eyed sprint to get in under the cargo bay doors. Runway service personnel desperately wave him off, but he will not be deterred. With a physics defying leap that would shame even Mario himself, Doug Bowser slam DUNKS the bundles of full colour art books into the cargo plane at such force that they individually materialise whole WITHIN the sealed copies of the games. 

Smiling modestly to himself, the force ghost of Iwata rejoins his fellows in the afterlife, waving goodbye to current Nintendo president Furukawa and the scores of smiling school children gathered with flowers and various fragrant smelling teas around his grave.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

People getting mad about it being a port although it looks like the ROM has exploits removed is the opposite of a port.

That's not the opposite of a port, that's essentially what a port is.
Different options from a port would be either straight up emulation or a complete remake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sumez said:

That's not the opposite of a port, that's essentially what a port is.
Different options from a port would be either straight up emulation or a complete remake.

Yep, exactly.

Emulation = Original code running in a virtual machine.

Port = Original code rewritten to run natively on a new machine, with greater or fewer changes to the code made as necessary.

Remake = Ground up rebuilding of the entire game from scratch. 

So, the original Super Mario All-stars on SNES is a remake. This 3D All-stars would be a port. The Wii Super Mario All-stars was emulation.

A port can essentially be a remake, too. It's not uncommon to rewrite a game from scratch in order to port it, especially back when all games were made in assembly languages. But in the case of Mario 64, people have already been able to decompile the game into C code and use that to port it to PC, etc. so I'm sure Nintendo are basing this port on the original source code to the game. It's the only thing that makes sense. 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

A port can essentially be a remake, too. It's not uncommon to rewrite a game from scratch in order to port it, especially back when all games were made in assembly languages. But in the case of Mario 64, people have already been able to decompile the game into C code and use that to port it to PC, etc. so I'm sure Nintendo are basing this port on the original source code to the game. It's the only thing that makes sense. 🙂 

Completely unrelated, but I wonder if Nintendo outsourced the porting work for at least SM64 to a third party.  There's a chance they turned over an old hard drive snapshot and.... those were the guys targeted and the source of that Nintendo leak in July.

I could be way off base, but that source leak was so random and it really felt like someone, somehow, managed to get a hold of an old Nintendo server back up.  Who knows, maybe Nintendo chucked a bunch of old back up tapes and someone resourceful kid dumpster dove and found they hardware to dump the data off of a disk or two.  But, if that's not the case, I wonder if that leak was due to a 3rd party, and I wonder if it's because after signing numerous NDAs, Nintendo just gave them an old hard drive or snapshot of a big disk from 1998.

• Like 1