IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

2 hours ago, fox said:

Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk got collections where games were rebuilt from the ground up with a lot of love and didn't even charge a full $60

Ports of 3 old games for $60 is minimal effort for maximum price

Artificial scarcity is a lame way to drive up sales

You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing those franchises to Mario.  And this is coming from someone who considers Crash to be one of his favorites.  $60 for these three games is a steal considering it could have easily been 3 times that much.

Also, the Crash remake was garbage and not worth a fraction of what they charged.  They nearly ruined some of the greatest PS1 games ever made.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Also I'm pretty sure the double disc, box edition of the 25th anniversary was only available for a limited time only to be rereleased years later as the stand alone title.

At least with 25th Anniversary you got 4 games, a nice box, a history booklet, and a music cd for $30

Edited by fox
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, fox said:

At least with 25th Anniversary you got 4 games, a nice box, a history booklet, and a music cd for $30

Yeah that unboxing video is so sad.... opens up the case to reveal the double sided cover and nothing inside the case except the game. At the very least they could have thrown in a nice booklet or poster or something. It would have justified the price a little more even though I still think it's reasonable as is. I think the Zelda HD ports for Wii U were a much worse deal even with the quality of life tweaks to Wind Waker and I honestly could have seen Nintendo doing that for this as well. The limited window of availability is ridiculous... I think they'll keep it strictly digital after March.  I'm also not gonna get too hyped over more ports regardless of the franchise.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm curious - do we think all 3 games will be on the cart? 

I think so. All three games can probably fit on a 4GB cart (do those even exist?) and certainly on an 8GB cart. If they are using an 8GB cart, then it makes even less sense that they excluded Galaxy 2.

One interesting theory is that the original Galaxy has already been ported to the Nvidia Shield in China and that's what is being used here. Galaxy 2 has not been ported to that system. So basically Nintendo is just putting the absolute minimum effort into this.

• Like 2

Seems interesting I guess. I already have Sunshine and Galaxy so I’m just really getting it for 64, and for being able to play on the go. Not really something I’m go cry for If I don’t get it.

Same with the Mario battle royale, not really something that’s grabbing my attention.

The Mario 3D world looks cool. 3D world is a really fun game that more people should play.

Mario Kart looks really cool, but not something I’m going to get.

The Game and Watch is the thing I really want to have. I love them, and it’s awesome to see them releasing products like this.

13 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yeah that unboxing video is so sad.... opens up the case to reveal the double sided cover and nothing inside the case except the game. At the very least they could have thrown in a nice booklet or poster or something. It would have justified the price a little more even though I still think it's reasonable as is. I think the Zelda HD ports for Wii U were a much worse deal even with the quality of life tweaks to Wind Waker and I honestly could have seen Nintendo doing that for this as well. The limited window of availability is ridiculous... I think they'll keep it strictly digital after March.  I'm also not gonna get too hyped over more ports regardless of the franchise.

my guess is they are releasing it like this, then they want to sell them digitally separate. People will buy up the physicals then theyll rake in the downloads from all the casuals. Probably will make way more money selling these for 20-25 download each on splurge buys for people who dont want to commit 60 to these

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

Seems that the official box art and places like Best Buy that'll snitch out vapor in a box seems to point to all three games in the box (on card.)

Back on the first page I said I was surprised that Galaxy 2 was not included, but I got into some back and forward since then and I hit on this realization along with what you can find of the games visually online.  I think ultimately, this is a quick port of a port in the case of two, and an emulated carry over on the oldest.  SM64 has some slight clean up, sharpness applied, like you'd imagine thrown at it using an existing emulator which they have from the past download shops of theirs when it sold for $10.

The other two though I think it goes back to the Nintendo/Nvidia Shield tablet deal with China.  The deal has an android environment created to run both Wii and Gamecube games in HDMI levels (1080p) all nice tight and clean locked to that country.  One of the existing games even is Super Mario Galaxy (1 not 2) and as for the other the same core that fires those up should be able to easily handle the other game (Sunshine) without fault.  I would think this is how they picked these titles and got them going so easily with such a quick launch gap from reveal.

If it had SMG2 I'd be interested, but they are not going to sucker me into this questionable limited sales window thing - we all know they will split it out for individual sale or a PC copy or some other way to milk it out later, it's kind of their bread and butter.  I gotsta stop rebuying games I already have...

• Like 1

Meh...I'm gonna be "that guy" here. Not excited for this at all, and 99% sure I won't be ordering it. I love Mario 64, but I was hoping for a remaster with updated graphics, and maybe some of the additions they put in the DS version. I'm lukewarm about Sunshine, but the 1% chance of me buying this is for Galaxy (which somehow went missing out of my Wii collection). Then again, I could just re-buy it for Wii.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to pick this up just because I don't collect that much anymore which is kinda ass backwards but makes these ports less of a pain compared to when I was spending a lot of money on other stuff. The other reason is I bought a new TV a few months ago and it has no AV input - only HDMI, so it'll be cool to play these games. If it wasn't Mario and there were other 1st party games on the system to occupy my time I'd pass or hope to pick up a used copy down the road but besides my wife playing Animal Crossing the Switch sits and waits.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, fox said:

3D Mario collection

but no Galaxy 2

but it is a full price release

but it is a limited run product even digitally

There is always a catch with Nintendo 🤨

110% my friend

On 9/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, Tanooki said:

You think Nintendo would have learned their lesson on the Wii 10 years ago, limited retail release, limited digital run, done in March 2021.

Act now if you want one: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/super-mario-3d-all-stars-nintendo-switch/6414104.p?skuId=6414104

That will get you the game prepaid/ordered through Best Buy in the US.  Amazon doesn't even have it up yet and it's out in like two weeks.

I'm a little surprised Galaxy 2 got left out but that's it.  I like what they've done here with this and I'm on board.  Scalpers are already chomping at the bit to scam the crap out of people too, so do what you got to do or get it digitally while that window is open.  Maybe Nintendo will re-run it later next summer or fall like when SMAS Wii blew up in their face with the scamming.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:22 PM, phart010 said:

Nintendo is the master of throttling supply in order to control demand. They’ve realized this is a very effective method of advertising and they don’t have to pay advertisers to do it. People want what they can’t have. And when they can’t have it, Nintendo becomes headline news.

Let’s see.. last time Nintendo released a limited production item, it sold out immediately, and Nintendo acted like they had no way of knowing that demand would be so high.. Nintendo was headline news for months and that name recognition carried them through to a successful launch of their new console...

Better get this game and the new Mario Game & watch before the supply chain “gets interrupted by the pandemic.” Otherwise you may not get it until after the new Switch launches 😇

Basically, this shit it intentional. Really disappointed in Nintendo.

On 9/3/2020 at 2:58 PM, TDIRunner said:

I agree that No Mario Galaxy 2 is disappointing, but why would NSMB Wii be included, unless you meant as a standalone title.

Honestly, I can see them making another Mario All Stars with NSMB 1, 2 and Wii at a later date.   

"New Super Mario All-Stars" by 2026 (20 year anniversary of the OG New Super Mario Bros. on DS 2006 release) Calling it now!

Not surprised they withheld Galaxy 2 as it is arguably one of their most critically acclaimed games of the last decade. Probably expect that in another collection in another ~5 years 🙄

On 9/4/2020 at 8:56 PM, fox said:

Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk got collections where games were rebuilt from the ground up with a lot of love and didn't even charge a full $60

Ports of 3 old games for $60 is minimal effort for maximum price

Artificial scarcity is a lame way to drive up sales

On 9/4/2020 at 11:19 PM, TDIRunner said:

You are comparing apples to oranges by comparing those franchises to Mario.  And this is coming from someone who considers Crash to be one of his favorites.  $60 for these three games is a steal considering it could have easily been 3 times that much.

Also, the Crash remake was garbage and not worth a fraction of what they charged.  They nearly ruined some of the greatest PS1 games ever made.  

@TDIRunner I think you are missing the point. Those were remaster/remake collections with upgrades and not charging the full price. So far it seems like Nintendo is basically just sticking 3 ports of older games as is and charging full retail price for it. As @fox said minimal effort for maximum price. It's disappointing.

Anyway as much as I do enjoy Sunshine (legit one of my all time favorite Super Mario games, and fav 3D one) I was never die hard for 64 and Galaxy 1 was much the same, was alright but didn't capture my attention (haven't played Galaxy 2 except for a bit at a Gamestop or something). I honestly might pass. If there was a HD remake/remaster of Sunshine I'd be on board. Maybe if the price drops a bit and it's still avilable in a couple months or when they inevitably re-release the trio again Holidays 2021

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

An interesting theory is that they have Galaxy 2 saved for when they decide to do something with their sizable library of Wii games, and Galaxy 2 will help lead that charge. Some think that it'll unlock after beating Galaxy 1 but that's likely just wishful thinking. I think it would be pretty poor marketing to advertise a game as less than it actually is. Maybe they've just excluded it to keep people talking about the collection and why Galaxy 2 isn't a part of the pack 🤔

If they unlocked it after beating part 1 that would be awesome. That would actually be a good idea. Having too many game options from the beginning  might give some people menu shock. 

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Basically, this shit it intentional. Really disappointed in Nintendo.

Anyway as much as I do enjoy Sunshine (legit one of my all time favorite Super Mario games, and fav 3D one) I was never die hard for 64 and Galaxy 1 was much the same, was alright but didn't capture my attention (haven't played Galaxy 2 except for a bit at a Gamestop or something). I honestly might pass. If there was a HD remake/remaster of Sunshine I'd be on board. Maybe if the price drops a bit and it's still avilable in a couple months or when they inevitably re-release the trio again Holidays 2021

Well yeah obviously it's intentional.  In the end they will extend the run or just drop the whole limited racket and run another pile of them.  They did it with the Wii game, originally more in the big box to so called stick it to scalpers, then they did a budget run with just the game in a case, and yet again later as a players choice for $20.  I foresee the Switch game probably re-issue later in 2021 so no one gets screwed by losers during the holiday, and whenever they roll out some Switch Selects in 2022-23 they'll reissue it for $20 I bet.  Honestly I'm more concerned about the game & watch.

And as far as the Switch game goes, they're not 100% direct ports.  I thought early looks were showing some slight touch ups, nothing earth shatteringly so obvious to many though.  I think Mario 64 got some filtering and touch up to look clean and crisp, yet not show the N64 uglies so much in HD.  And the others, clearly using their android emulator that got those GC/Wii games running on the Shield tablet only within China and I know they were touched up nicer a little bit, so I would figure the same.

• Like 1

Just found this video, seems there is some rework they did to these games.   Not quite a cheap dump straight port as assumed by many like SMAS on Wii was vs the SNES game being a copied ROM.  There are changes and enhancements.  This is early so I'm sure more will be dug up or already has I haven't seen yet.

• Like 2