IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

No Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario. Bros Wii?

I agree that No Mario Galaxy 2 is disappointing, but why would NSMB Wii be included, unless you meant as a standalone title.

Honestly, I can see them making another Mario All Stars with NSMB 1, 2 and Wii at a later date.   

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, the whole "3D" thing doesn't really lend itself to including any of the "New" line

I'm not too worked up about the lack of Galaxy 2.  I was half-worried this was gonna be a series of individual remasters that came out every 6-12 months.  I'd much rather have a one-stop trilogy of ports.

We'll get Galaxy 2 and Odyssey and 3D World as a third anthology in 10+ years 😛

• Like 1

The original Super Mario All-Stars was awesome and had an amazing amount of advertisement and merchandising surrounding it.  Probably the most of any Nintendo game during their heyday.  Seriously not even remotely excited about this.  

I'm not sure I would make an all-stars out of these.  SMB/SMB2/SMB3 all had amazing visual and audio upgrades at the time on the SNES and were and still are iconic games. 

This just looks like the games running with the resolution up-scaled in an emulator.

The best 3 and they pick Mario Sunshine? Um no... 

I guess they don't have any other choices though.  Just goes to show how they still have not made many Super Mario games as iconic as the originals.

• Like 1

I'll be getting this day 1 for sure.  I honestly haven't touched my Switch since the end of July aside from repairing the controllers, been mostly on a PS2 kick lately.  So this is just what I needed.  Last game I played on there was beating Super Mario Odyssey a second time so I'm ready for some more Mario goodness.  I haven't preordered anything since GTA San Andreas, but I'm considering it this time due to the limited quantities physically which is the version I want.

As a side note: Any thoughts on making a thread where we all try to help each other pick up a physical copy if we can't get one, similar to the NES / SNES Classics thread?  Cost + shipping only type situation.

• Like 2

Well here's the real $64,000 question--will the switch controls make it easier to play SM64 or harder?  I found SM64 DS to just feel weird at first but I adjusted.  However, I've always felt the DS analog stick felt odd, compared to a typical one on a control.  We shall see.

Great direct. There was nothing I didn’t like. I’m on the fence about whether to pick up the collection physical or digital. I’ve kind of adopted this new philosophy about modern/Switch collecting: if it’s a retro re-release, then I don’t really mind picking up the new version digitally to play on the go and just having nice copies of the originals physically. 

I’m also excited for 3D World.

The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was Nintendo’s emphasis on “Hey, this thing is SUPER LIMITED!” I understand there’s a pandemic, and that could legitimately be it, but it’s hard not to suspect that they’re calling upon the power of artificial scarcity once again to guarantee sales.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, RH said:

Well here's the real $64,000 question--will the switch controls make it easier to play SM64 or harder?  I found SM64 DS to just feel weird at first but I adjusted.  However, I've always felt the DS analog stick felt odd, compared to a typical one on a control.  We shall see.

The DS what?

And the answer is easier.  The N64 controller is one giant ass handicap.

N64 stick if you get sweaty is a big handicap as you're consistently stopping to dry it, otherwise it's fine.  The DS game was a dumpster fire of failure using a floating strap nub as a so called joystick, and the optional map to the d-pad played terribly lacking smooth control or precision when a gentle walk was needed.

Having played the PC source port of SM64 and using a modern ms 360/WIndows usb controller I find the game easier to enjoy as the stick does not betray you.  The switch control stick is even more comfortable and on the nose, so it should be the best option to play by.

10 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The DS what?

And the answer is easier.  The N64 controller is one giant ass handicap.

Are you joking because you didn't like the DS port or are you unaware of it?  I honestly can't tell. 😕 Super Mario 64 DS is a slight graphical downgrade, but they added more stars (30, IIRC) they also added additional playing characters and mini games, but you had to use the touch screen and stylus for those.  Personally, I thought it kept the game same-y enough to really feel like the original but added just enough to make it feel knew again.  It was a good way to treat a classic and make it feel like it wasn't a strict money grab.  They actually put time into the port to make it special.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, RH said:

Are you joking because you didn't like the DS port or are you unaware of it?  I honestly can't tell. 😕 Super Mario 64 DS is a slight graphical downgrade, but they added more stars (30, IIRC) they also added additional playing characters and mini games, but you had to use the touch screen and stylus for those.  Personally, I thought it kept the game same-y enough to really feel like the original but added just enough to make it feel knew again.  It was a good way to treat a classic and make it feel like it wasn't a strict money grab.  They actually put time into the port to make it special.

15 hours ago, RH said:

While I own it, I never got around to playing Galaxy.  How much motion control is in it?  Will I be able to play it with a Pro controller, or will I be forced to use the Joy Cons?  The trailer mentions they games have been optimized for the Switch, but that doesn't mean that motion control is gone.  

Edited by TDIRunner

Nintendo is the master of throttling supply in order to control demand. They’ve realized this is a very effective method of advertising and they don’t have to pay advertisers to do it. People want what they can’t have. And when they can’t have it, Nintendo becomes headline news.

Let’s see.. last time Nintendo released a limited production item, it sold out immediately, and Nintendo acted like they had no way of knowing that demand would be so high.. Nintendo was headline news for months and that name recognition carried them through to a successful launch of their new console...

Better get this game and the new Mario Game & watch before the supply chain “gets interrupted by the pandemic.” Otherwise you may not get it until after the new Switch launches 😇

On 9/3/2020 at 1:05 PM, TDIRunner said:

Nearly everyone was expecting SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy to be released as 3 separate games each at full price.  Putting all 3 together at full price is not a downside.  Even if they didn't have any updates, $20 per title would still be very fare.  

Limited run is pretty inexcusable for this type of game.  I can't comprehend or defend that in any way.  

Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk got collections where games were rebuilt from the ground up with a lot of love and didn't even charge a full $60

Ports of 3 old games for $60 is minimal effort for maximum price

Artificial scarcity is a lame way to drive up sales

Just now, fox said:

Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk got collections where games were rebuilt from the ground up with a lot of love and didn't even charge a full $60

Ports of 3 old games for $60 is minimal effort for maximum price

Artificial scarcity is a lame way to drive up sales

I really don't think there's any comparison to crash and spyro remakes if you've played them, specifically Crash. That game had graphics, but the platforming is atrocious. I thought spyro still felt clunky too not to mention most of the content missing from the disc / cart. 

I don't think Mario 64 needs much. It's the most influential 3d platformer of all time. Putting pretty fields in the distance would take away from it's originality. 

$20 for each games seems right. My hope is that in March they'll release the games for individual sales on the eshop.

Also I'm pretty sure the double disc, box edition of the 25th anniversary was only available for a limited time only to be rereleased years later as the stand alone title. 

Letting the print run until March doesn't seem limited to me personally. For the next 6 months you'll be able to order them from any of your favorite store. 

• Like 1

Really excited for 3D All Stars.  As someone who skipped the Wii and Wii U, I will finally have a way to play Galaxy.  Wish it included Galaxy 2 as well, but I'll take it, even if it means I have to buy Sunshine again (which I have bought and sold multiple times).

I agree that the limited run thing seems so unnecessary.  Same for SMB35. That game looks like it could be every bit as popular as Tetris 99, so why cut everyone off just because of the anniversary?

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Same for SMB35. That game looks like it could be every bit as popular as Tetris 99, so why cut everyone off just because of the anniversary?

It'd be cool if after March they just change it to Mario 36, then the next year change it to Mario 37...  Mario 35 would still be limited, but then we'd get to keep on playing!

• Haha 1