IGNORED

Super Mario 3D All Stars Reveal

KokiriChild

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Wait, so is the camera inverted or not? Is there a way for me to play any or all of these games with inverted camera? I have the Switch version and also all 3 originals.

No inverted camera, and no way to swap it back. At least in Super Mario Sunshine, I haven't checked out the other two games yet. I personally hate inverted controls, I'm glad they got rid of it myself.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, Tekdrudge said:

No inverted camera, and no way to swap it back. At least in Super Mario Sunshine, I haven't checked out the other two games yet. I personally hate inverted controls, I'm glad they got rid of it myself.

Yeah, it would've been nice if they at least gave you the option, but I for one would've had to go through an immediate learning curve if I played the original Sunshine with inverted camera controls, would've made me hate the camera in that game even more than the one in SM64 😛

Events Team · Posted

Anyway, in other news

Ei_ND8MU4AESDjW?format=jpg&name=large

Beat SM64 for the first time in several years, and I believe for the first time with all 120 stars, since I think last time I beat it years ago I just went for the minimum required stars.

In conclusion

Fuck Tick Tock Clock.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Anyway, in other news

Ei_ND8MU4AESDjW?format=jpg&name=large

Beat SM64 for the first time in several years, and I believe for the first time with all 120 stars, since I think last time I beat it years ago I just went for the minimum required stars.

In conclusion

Fuck Tick Tock Clock.

Oh when my neighbor back in my college days (when I would come home for summer or holidays) would come visit us (she also had a younger sister)...hee hee I kid you not when she saw that THE END screen (I let them watch me beat the game for them) she actually asked if they were getting married! 😄

• Like 2

Well, I've basically done Mario Sunshine:

IMG20200929114144.thumb.jpg.b60922af2cad4a6ec60fc3d72d184aa7.jpg

Beat Bowser and got all the non-blue coin shines:

IMG20200929132226.thumb.jpg.29cb6531af02f80e1b694de1d17ac232.jpg

I have enough blue coins for a further 18 shines, which means I'm missing about 60 of em... I mean, I MIGHT use a guide of whatever to go back and sweep up the rest of em, but as far as I'm concerned they could barely be bothered to finish the game, so I'm not sure why I should either! I've always said the blue coins are just a cheap way to pad out the game length, let's face it.

• Like 3

@Andy_Bogomil & @Reed Rothchild

Dudes, I'm seriously, the blue coins are the antithesis of what a collectible should be like in a collectathon platformer. The whole fun of a collectathon is ticking boxes and building up to that sweet 100%, but the blue coins go way too far.

First off, the game doesn't give you any idea how many there actually are in the game, or any given level. I know there are 30 in each level because I looked it up, but even then there are some that are ONLY available in specific chapters which there is ZERO indication of.

Secondly, there are some things you can learn about blue coins, like spraying paint or blue birds. That's FINE, because it gives you a clue as to how to get them. HOWEVER, there are FAR to many coins that are basically "spray random patch of ground/wall/object" with again ZERO indication of what to do.

Thirdly, there are way too many of them, frankly, even if you DID find it fun to track them down, there would be no way anyone could get them all without looking at least a handful of them up. That's not fair, IMO.

I would be okay with them if they weren't required for getting 120 shines. Or, perhaps even if there was some clue as to where they were or how to find them? Or maybe if you only need say a certain percentage of them to get all the shines...

But as it is, it's terribly unsatisfying for your final couple shines after beating what is already a challenging game to be blue coins you need to look up, basically cucking yourself out of a genuine feeling of victory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm actually really enjoying Sunshine on the Switch. I have gotten farther than I ever did playing on the Gamecube. The controls seem to be much easier to get used to on the Switch so it makes playing much better for me, which I am sure is the opposite for some of yall. Like I could see myself speed-running this on the Switch with ease as I can pretty much do all those quick-combo moves to "climb" up the air. So more than likely finally beat this game, but will take me a while in a pace since I don't have that free time anymore like in April lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Andy_Bogomil & @Reed Rothchild

Dudes, I'm seriously, the blue coins are the antithesis of what a collectible should be like in a collectathon platformer. The whole fun of a collectathon is ticking boxes and building up to that sweet 100%, but the blue coins go way too far.

First off, the game doesn't give you any idea how many there actually are in the game, or any given level. I know there are 30 in each level because I looked it up, but even then there are some that are ONLY available in specific chapters which there is ZERO indication of.

Secondly, there are some things you can learn about blue coins, like spraying paint or blue birds. That's FINE, because it gives you a clue as to how to get them. HOWEVER, there are FAR to many coins that are basically "spray random patch of ground/wall/object" with again ZERO indication of what to do.

Thirdly, there are way too many of them, frankly, even if you DID find it fun to track them down, there would be no way anyone could get them all without looking at least a handful of them up. That's not fair, IMO.

I would be okay with them if they weren't required for getting 120 shines. Or, perhaps even if there was some clue as to where they were or how to find them? Or maybe if you only need say a certain percentage of them to get all the shines...

But as it is, it's terribly unsatisfying for your final couple shines after beating what is already a challenging game to be blue coins you need to look up, basically cucking yourself out of a genuine feeling of victory.

Yeah some of those are fair points for sure. As I said I would much rather have another level and less blue coins. I always felt it was somewhat obvious all levels have the same number of blue coins and how many you need to finish the game. I thought someone in the game tells you there are 30 in each level but maybe I'm tripping. I don't really remember the episode dependant ones but that's a legitimate beef if it's not obvious. I also remember having to look a few up back in the day but overall I don't think they take away from the game that much. I would agree that Mario 64 is a much better setup for getting 120. 

If you wanna talk about unsatisfying we can discuss Odyssey and falling ass backwards into moons and collection a billion regular coins to buy costumes to get more moons even though I'm sure Reed had heard me bash this game more than enough 😜

• Haha 1

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/super-mario-3d-all-stars-sunshine-inverted-camera/amp

I hope this gains enough traction for Nintendo to patch control settings in. I would definitely rebuy the game. All you Twitter folk need to badger Nintendo to fix this. Funny that this article is from 'inverse' dot com. 

• Haha 1

Still a fun game, I could prob beat it in my sleep, which I kind of did considering all the allergy meds I am taking. 🥴

Controls great but the camera is a nightmare.  The level quality kind of falls apart by the end, thankfully you only need 70 stars.

6FB8FFB5-1494-4B37-8EE4-CD80ED2D4829.jpeg

Okay, Blue Coins are got. Mario Sunshine officially complete.

IMG20201001170426.thumb.jpg.a1e51b08000a081ffe2e06aeefe1bac0.jpg

But... You know what? Fuck you Racoon gentleman and Racoon child:

IMG20201001170435.thumb.jpg.60ed523fa34e2197c8d01e015ac20a1c.jpg

As a peaceful protest against the TYRANNY of the Blue Coins in Mario Sunshine, I hereby REFUSE to turn them in and claim the prize.

IMG20201001170405.thumb.jpg.c319af2e40218200e73f651153f5376f.jpg

Fuck you Nintendo, fuck you Shigsy, and fuck you, Blue fuggin Coins.

• Haha 3

On 9/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, Sumez said:

On the other hand, getting 120 shines isn't required in the first place, right?

YES.  In the sense that you haven't really beaten the game unless you Catch 'Em All.  That goes for all the Mario games from SM64 on...like I mentioned before it was so annoying seeing some guy on GameFAQs complaining about how one of the 2D "New" Mario games was "too easy" but then said he didn't try for all the Star Coins.

I have managed to get all 120 stars in Mario 64 but I'm not even close on Sunshine...I mean is Sunshine in fact much tougher or do I just suck? 😞 

5 hours ago, Estil said:

YES.  In the sense that you haven't really beaten the game unless you Catch 'Em All.  That goes for all the Mario games from SM64 on...like I mentioned before it was so annoying seeing some guy on GameFAQs complaining about how one of the 2D "New" Mario games was "too easy" but then said he didn't try for all the Star Coins.

I have managed to get all 120 stars in Mario 64 but I'm not even close on Sunshine...I mean is Sunshine in fact much tougher or do I just suck? 😞 

It is tougher, to the point of frustration in many places. However, overall I do like the additional challenge the game offers over 64, it's definitely one of the game's strengths IMO.

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

It is tougher, to the point of frustration in many places. However, overall I do like the additional challenge the game offers over 64, it's definitely one of the game's strengths IMO.

All this time I just thought I really sucked 😞 

*checking my save file* So far only 50 stars, eh shines and 41 blue coins (I didn't turn in any)...yeah I suck 😞 

Edited by Estil

Okay, so I'm getting on with Mario Galaxy now. Haven't had a lot of time to play, but I have noticed it doesn't seem to play that comfortably in handheld mode...

I am a busy dude, so I use my switch handheld most of the time, and this is annoying for me, taking my hands off the controller to swipe the screen to collect and shoot star bits. Also, I'm a weirdo who actually PREFERS to waggle the joycon to make Mario spin, rather than press the Y button.

On the TV, these problems are entirely resolved, it plays basically the same as it used to on Wii. But yeah, I guess I will make more of an effort to hog the TV to play this one, when the wife and kids are out the way. 😕

56 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Okay, so I'm getting on with Mario Galaxy now. Haven't had a lot of time to play, but I have noticed it doesn't seem to play that comfortably in handheld mode...

I am a busy dude, so I use my switch handheld most of the time, and this is annoying for me, taking my hands off the controller to swipe the screen to collect and shoot star bits. Also, I'm a weirdo who actually PREFERS to waggle the joycon to make Mario spin, rather than press the Y button.

On the TV, these problems are entirely resolved, it plays basically the same as it used to on Wii. But yeah, I guess I will make more of an effort to hog the TV to play this one, when the wife and kids are out the way. 😕

I just got 80 stars in handheld mode and didn't find it uncomfortable. Using the touch screen to snap star bits with my left hand while running with the right joystick back natural really quickly. 

11 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I just got 80 stars in handheld mode and didn't find it uncomfortable. Using the touch screen to snap star bits with my left hand while running with the right joystick back natural really quickly. 

For myself, one of the great things about playing the game originally was the freedom you feel being able to run around and jump and do whatever, whilst collecting and shooting the star bits simultaneously.

You really can't do both effectively at the same time in handheld mode, and it seriously disrupts the flow of the whole game for me. I've decided I'm only going to play Galaxy docked, I really don't want to spoil my own appreciation of such an awesome game.

YMMV, but this has been my experience anyway.

On 10/4/2020 at 3:37 AM, Estil said:

YES.  In the sense that you haven't really beaten the game unless you Catch 'Em All.

Yeah, but even if you didn't get shines from getting all the blue points, wouldn't getting all blue points be a part of "catching 'em all"? That's sort of the point I was trying to make. 🙂