IGNORED

My sealed Dreamcast collection, 100+ games!!! :D

OptOut

This isn't a post I ever thought I would be making, but sometimes life and video game collecting takes you in strange directions...

So as of right now, I'm collecting sealed Japanese Dreamcast games, based on two huge scores of new old stock in a couple stores nearby here in Taiwan. I guess the Dreamcast never really got off the ground over here, so this stuff has been literally just sitting around for like 20 years unloved.

The first score came a couple weeks back at one of the regular haunts me and @fcgamer hit up. I'd seen some Dreamcast in there before, but nothing caught my eye until we rummaged around in the top room and I saw this:

IMG20200816164859.thumb.jpg.ce3e8d5ac0e7b922ba31efde1c785efd.jpg

Now I don't know much about Dreamcast, but I DO know this is sought after. So after a bit more rummaging I came home with ten sealed games that day:

IMG_20200818_200133.thumb.jpg.4535473a00528a5508552a85c9bcd82d.jpg

IMG_20200817_233212_compress57.thumb.jpg.6ba72741df36715c8f84b61ffa378550.jpg

Fast forward a couple weeks, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my DC games. I'm not a sealed collector normally, nor do I have much love for DC. But there's something itching me, telling me to buy more...

So, last night I hit up my local gamestore, which I knew had Dreamcast stuff. And, taking inspiration from my collecting hero, @fcgamer, I told myself I'm gonna buy EVERY sealed game they had. So I did:

IMG_20200901_223258.thumb.jpg.86f468e885a59dbc3138ea1b9ff334c5.jpg

IMG_20200901_223350.thumb.jpg.7d15977c4a6d7f8db30b12d2aa365f73.jpg

IMG_20200901_223407_compress95.thumb.jpg.34a0c6fe780dbf10aadb50f63ac3f52c.jpg

Now, I'm not going to go into the details of what I paid, but trust me when I say... 😏

The situation now is a little confusing for me tho. The resources are far from tapped. There are plenty more shops with sealed stuff around, even the stores I already been to have doubles and unsealed stuff I could get. I've got another game in the mail I ordered online, this collection has potential to get big...

But, I have to be honest, my heart isn't really in it. For the first time in my collecting career I feel like I'm collecting dollars rather than games. I think my plan is to collect for a while, get as much as I can as cheap as I can, then decide whether to hold or sell. I think my preference would be to offer some of this stuff as tradebait for things I really want, but we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, I will update this thread as my sealed Dreamcast collection grows, and I guess we'll all find out what happens together, lol! 😘

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 8
  • Wow! 1

20 minutes ago, GPX said:

Be manly and go for the complete sealed Dreamcast Pal collection! 😄

Liking some of those fighting games and kind of an interesting art style across the board. 

Yeah I really like a lot of the artwork too, I'm thinking about buying a modified Dreamcast so I can play my games off SD card without actually having to open them. Pretty sure I'll fall in love with the set quick once I can actually PLAY the games, lol!

Oh, and knowing the prices on sealed PAL stuff, I reckon I could spend the same money I just did on all these and get one or maybe two games if I'm lucky, lol!

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'm thinking about buying a modified Dreamcast so I can play my games off SD card without actually having to open them.

I'm not sure about the other SD/USB solutions, but the GDEmu does not automatically allow for JP or PAL games to be played on US Dreamcasts.  You would still either need a region mod, or a program to patch the ISO (second option is a lot easier).  

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not sure about the other SD/USB solutions, but the GDEmu does not automatically allow for JP or PAL games to be played on US Dreamcasts.  You would still either need a region mod, or a program to patch the ISO (second option is a lot easier).  

Well I mean I don't actually own a Dreamcast of any kind right now, so I was just planning to buy a fully modified one from somewhere if I can find one!

I'm not really that technically minded when it comes to setting up mods and stuff, so I would have to find someone else to do it for me anyway!

Edited by OptOut

Cool stuff! I noticed this in Tapei last November, too, and bought a bunch of sealed DC games at a place in Tapei City Mall. One of the bigger stores there, but I forgot the name. He had a few on display, and when I asked him if he had another copy of a game w/cracked case, he brought out a box of sealed games from behind the counter. You probably already checked all the stores there, but in case not, might be worth checking out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedy_NES said:

Cool stuff! I noticed this in Tapei last November, too, and bought a bunch of sealed DC games at a place in Tapei City Mall. One of the bigger stores there, but I forgot the name. He had a few on display, and when I asked him if he had another copy of a game w/cracked case, he brought out a box of sealed games from behind the counter. You probably already checked all the stores there, but in case not, might be worth checking out.

You mean you came to Taiwan and you didn't hit me up?! You KNOW the beers are cooling in the fridge and there's always room on the couch and spare controller for a VGS buddy to stop by! 😉

As for Taipei Mall gamestores, sure I've been plenty of times! However, I live in central Taiwan, so I don't get up there often. I think we've got a Taipei trip planned in October or something, so I'll absolutely hit them up again soon! 🙂

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OptOut said:

You mean you came to Taiwan and you didn't hit me up?! You KNOW the beers are cooling in the fridge and there's always room on the couch and spare controller for a VGS buddy to stop by! 😉

As for Taipei Mall gamestores, sure I've been plenty of times! However, I live in central Taiwan, so I don't get up there often. I think we've got a Taipei trip planned in October or something, so I'll absolutely hit them up again soon! 🙂

Or he could have slept in a comfy bed at mine, as I slept on the couch with the 🐈. Plus a lot of nice bars in my area serving craft brews and flavourful imports on tap, for reasonable prices.

But alas, I wasn't contacted either. 😞

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to My sealed Dreamcast collection, 52 games, newest arrival Hello Kitty Garden Panic!

Little Moon festival weekend trip to Tainan, revisiting some stores I previously went to with @fcgamer.

Started off well with a Power Stone 2 in Hardoff, then I found something even more interesting!

IMG_20201003_213245.thumb.jpg.48666a9bae0281564b07b6c15da13f14.jpg

Noticed this sealed Hello Kitty game in a cramped little old gamestore, thought it looked strange without the spine card or any other labels. For a minute I figured it was a reseal, but then I checked the back:

IMG20201003191108.thumb.jpg.4133b0c60c62c90a65c124752fd52e6d.jpg

Hmm... Not for resale you say? SOLD!

Turns out, it's a special game only available as a pack-in with the Hello Kitty Dreamcast... Wait? There was a Hello Kitty Dreamcast?! News to me!

Anyway, yeah this collection is getting weirder by the second, the Dreamcast is WAY more complicated to collect for than I initially thought!

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Just now, fcgamer said:

Nice find, just sad you didn't invite me to go hunting with you mate ! 😉

Can we plan a solo trip for November, or early December 😉

Lol, yeah I'm SURE you would have had fun with my parents-in-law wandering around the old Dutch fort and eating oyster omelette!

No worries dude, we'll absolutely hit it again together very soon, November sounds doable for sure! 😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

How large is the library there for the dreamcast ? 

Nice snags so far . . . Your lucky in finding them cheap there . . . 

I don't know the exact number, there are so many variants and special editions for this set, it's crazy! But definitely over 400 unique titles, probably closer to 500, so I'm nowhere near yet!

I'll be going to Taipei at the end of the month, so I'm hoping to pick up a BUNCH more sealed stuff then hopefully!

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

I don't know the exact number, there are so many variants and special editions for this set, it's crazy! But definitely over 400 unique titles, probably closer to 500, so I'm nowhere near yet!

I'll be going to Taipei at the end of the month, so I'm hoping to pick up a BUNCH more sealed stuff then hopefully!

You better watch it buddy 😉

But yeah, the set is huge, 

• The title was changed to My sealed Dreamcast collection, 55 games and more!
  • The title was changed to My sealed Dreamcast collection, 58 games and more!

Well, the Taipei trip turned out to be a bit of a bust on the sealed DC front, tbh.

Plenty of cheap DC games about, but very few sealed. I did manage to pick up 3 very common titles for cheap tho, at least.

IMG_20201031_225317.thumb.jpg.06c8bde65089cd7ec4e100ea632e4f38.jpg

Otherwise, I did manage to find something a little interesting, an old third party memory card manufactured right here in Taiwan!

IMG20201031224907.thumb.jpg.56bff806ac74fdc7ae8e9fac43651393.jpg

IMG20201031224910.thumb.jpg.99c129024cf275ee160d0b851a60b476.jpg

Better than nothing I suppose, and at least I did A LOT better with my N64 pick ups this trip!

• Like 4

On 9/4/2020 at 4:54 PM, OptOut said:

On 9/5/2020 at 12:52 PM, fcgamer said:

Or he could have slept in a comfy bed at mine, as I slept on the couch with the 🐈. Plus a lot of nice bars in my area serving craft brews and flavourful imports on tap, for reasonable prices.

But alas, I wasn't contacted either. 😞

Thanks guys! Sorry that I only see this now, took some distance from the forums the last couple months as working from home brought lots of other distractions with it.

I was actually contemplating reaching out to you (to Dave, as I knew with certainty that he was in Taiwan) after I had booked the tickets, but felt it was too short notice at the time as I had booked the trip only a couple days before departure as a spontaneous add-on to a larger Asia/Australia trip. I travel to or through Asia more often, so I'm sure that I'll be in Taiwan again soon, after the Covid situation has settled a bit, and then I'd love to grab some beers and talk games (and maybe do some game hunting, too)! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 10/31/2020 at 3:55 PM, OptOut said:

Well, the Taipei trip turned out to be a bit of a bust on the sealed DC front, tbh.

Plenty of cheap DC games about, but very few sealed. I did manage to pick up 3 very common titles for cheap tho, at least.

IMG_20201031_225317.thumb.jpg.06c8bde65089cd7ec4e100ea632e4f38.jpg

Otherwise, I did manage to find something a little interesting, an old third party memory card manufactured right here in Taiwan!

Better than nothing I suppose, and at least I did A LOT better with my N64 pick ups this trip!

Nice pickups -- the top two games were also among the ones I bought in Taipei, wonder if we got them from the same store. Pretty sure I also paid 100 each.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Speedy_NES said:

Nice pickups -- the top two games were also among the ones I bought in Taipei, wonder if we got them from the same store. Pretty sure I also paid 100 each.

Well, when you made that post originally, my mind went directly to that store, and then when I actually went there for real I picked those up, so I'm thinking absolutely yes! 😄

Hallowed ground, that underground mall in Taipei, for sure, lol!

• Like 2