IGNORED

Try code HAPPY25 on eBay. You might get $25 off on eBay.

RH

I just got an email from eBay.  I had joined in 1999 and it basically said "Thanks for being with us since the beginning.  Here's $25 off of your next purchase."  Um, what?!  So, I just dropped a few bucks on a +$25 item and sure enough, the code worked.

It wasn't a special code and I didn't click on a link either.  Obviously, I haven't been with them for 25 years since I joined in 1999, but who knows, maybe this code works for everyone and they just sent it to the people that joined before 2000 or something like that.

Thanks eBay!  If you're wonder what I bought, I've been eyeing Turok for the Switch for a while.  Nothing amazing but I'll take it "for cheap" after a discount like that.  Give it a try and let me/us know if it works for you.  Oh, the email also had stats for my usage of eBay and told me some of my "firsts".  Here are a couple highlights.

First Purchase: Economics, 15th Ed. McConnell. (Sticking it to the overpriced book resellers!)

First Sale: Mortal Kombat for Game Gear (11-02-2001)

First Offer: Nintendo Red Hoodie (12-27-2005) (I still have it too!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

I got one as well! Interesting to see the old data from way back when:

Joined on 4-6-2000

First purchase -  Blue Man Group Audio DVD Surround Mix SEALED on 4-9-2002.

First sale - Intel Pentium II 350 MHz CPU W/HSF, No Resrv! on 1-14-2002.

Edit: That info isn't accurate, I have record of when I sold my wisdom teeth on there and that was in 2001.

Edited by LtCasual
  • Like 1

ebay was created in 1995 but the site didn't really become what it is today until like 98 so I guess they figure close enough? Here is a capture from 2007. $207 for a sealed Contra? $52 for a sealed TMNT II? $50 for a sealed Bomberman? Good lord I miss those prices.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070817102616/http://video-games.listings.ebay.com/_Games_Nintendo-NES_W0QQa14Z24221QQalistZa14QQcurcatZtrueQQgcsZ1135QQpfidZ1413QQsacatZ62053QQsocmdZListingItemList

Edited by austin532

14 minutes ago, LtCasual said:

Edit: That info isn't accurate, I have record of when I sold my wisdom teeth on there and that was in 2001.

Yeah, I'm not sure it is.  My guess is they didn't start keeping records until after 2000 or something.  My first item was bought a year after I created an account and, now that I think about it, I know I had bought a Rickenbacker 330 off of there shortly after and I also distinctly recall my first purchase being an original release, sealed Rubik's cube because at that time I still thought that sealed collectibles were super rare. Well,  you know.  Ebay changed that when they made the market international rather than just local. 

Didn't work for me.  I tried two items that added up to greater than $25, and then I tried one item over $25 and neither situation worked.

Member since 9/8/2002

Not sure how you guys are looking up your sales history.  My feedback goes back to the beginning, but I don't see any links to the information on those sales.  

• Like 1

Sweet, I found the coupon in "My Messages"

You registered on 11-30-1998

First Purchase: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure T-Shirt XL on 1-27-2002.

First Sale: PS2 Playstation 2 New Sealed Free Shipping!!! on 12-17-2001.

Wow, I was a seller before being a buyer? That doesn't sound right. I definitely bought some things in 1999/2000.

Says: Ends 9/10. Min. spend $25.01. Special offer just for you.

Edited by DK

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Not sure how you guys are looking up your sales history.

eBay sends you a message with all of their erroneous information.  I joined in 2000 but it said my first purchase was in late 2001; man, by that point I was already at like 40 feedbacks from buying so much stuff.  They were wrong on my first item sold too, so I don't think they started saving auction info until the early 2000's.  They did add a disclaimer in the message that the info wasn't right but was "close enough."

What I liked more than the info was the pie charts of what types of items I've bought and sold over the years.  Anyway, thanks eBay!  Here's to another twenty years....

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

eBay sends you a message with all of their erroneous information.  I joined in 2000 but it said my first purchase was in late 2001; man, by that point I was already at like 40 feedbacks from buying so much stuff.  They were wrong on my first item sold too, so I don't think they started saving auction info until the early 2000's.  They did add a disclaimer in the message that the info wasn't right but was "close enough."

What I liked more than the info was the pie charts of what types of items I've bought and sold over the years.  Anyway, thanks eBay!  Here's to another twenty years....

I figured that out once I saw Gloves post.  I checked my messages, but I didn't get it.  I had a handful of things I was interested in too.  Oh well.