IGNORED

Upcoming Site Maintenance/Downtime

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

A new version of Invision (the software running VGS) has been released, and in order to keep things running smoothly I'll have to take the site down for a bit. Here's what I need to do:

1. Back up the custom styles etc. that have been built for VGS
  2. Take down the site
  3. Update the software
  4. Re-apply the customizations
  5. Confirm that it all works as expected
  6. Put the site back up

Barring any issues I don't envision this taking a terribly long time, maybe an hour. 

The site will go down sometime during the day this upcoming Friday, September 4th.

I'll be aiming for around noon or so, but we'll have to see. I'll post a reminder an hour or so before I press the big red button. 

During the downtime, you can feel free to join us on Discord over here: https://discord.gg/5tuxaqD

Or better yet take a walk, stretch your legs. Maybe grab a Starbucks. I'll take a grande PSL, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, OptOut said:

How do we know you're not just gonna turn off the site for good?! How do we know you're going to come back!??? 😨😰

I know the feeling man, every time the site is down, I have this irrational fear that Doug is selling it to GoCollect.

I can't help it, so I go get a hair cut to change my mind.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Administrator · Posted

Chaaaaaanges.

So as you all start coming back you may notice some stuff looks and feels a bit different. That will be because it is. We've updated to the latest version of Invision and this means taking on some improvements to the site themes, as well as re-applying the applications. 

UNfortunately it's also a lot more work than anticipated. I've put the site back up so you all can talk again, but you'll notice a few features missing. They're still THERE, some work just needs to be done to re-apply them in this new version of the software. I'm working on it and while I don't have an ETA, it's going to be my primary focus right now. I may not be able to do much over the weekend due to holidays, so please bear with me on it. 

As ever, we'll continue moving forward and making this place our own. Thanks as always for your support!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Chaaaaaanges.

So as you all start coming back you may notice some stuff looks and feels a bit different. That will be because it is. We've updated to the latest version of Invision and this means taking on some improvements to the site themes, as well as re-applying the applications. 

UNfortunately it's also a lot more work than anticipated. I've put the site back up so you all can talk again, but you'll notice a few features missing. They're still THERE, some work just needs to be done to re-apply them in this new version of the software. I'm working on it and while I don't have an ETA, it's going to be my primary focus right now. I may not be able to do much over the weekend due to holidays, so please bear with me on it. 

As ever, we'll continue moving forward and making this place our own. Thanks as always for your support!

Thanks for all the hard work! Will the 'ignore thread' feature be re-implented? It's one of the most helpful features, as it helps focus subforums to your specific interests.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, ifightdragons said:

Thanks for all the hard work! Will the 'ignore thread' feature be re-implented? It's one of the most helpful features, as it helps focus subforums to your specific interests.

I aim to get everything re-implemented, yes. I'm working with IPS to try and ensure that the data from the previous version isn't lost when updating to the latest version.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

043dfd7f94e6a6464d1d9465ddafabe5.png

901d17eaac480611f0931bcc5ef94de7.gif

To be clear, that's not a jab at the new aesthetics, it looks pretty nice, I just wasn't expecting it to go back to light mode when I opened the site back up. Light modes on websites absolutely sear my eyes when I'm used to the dark mode 😆

It'll take a bit for me to get used to, but I do like the new aesthetics. I can see why the maintenance took a bit longer than anticipated. Looks like I also have some new material to complain about in the dark mode thread, but I'll wait until the transition fully completes before complaining about anything in there obviously 😛

Lookin' good so far, and take your time on transitioning the missing stuff. Actually, what is all the stuff that's currently missing? Is it anything big, or is it mostly just smaller things that still need to be moved over from the old version?

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

043dfd7f94e6a6464d1d9465ddafabe5.png

901d17eaac480611f0931bcc5ef94de7.gif

To be clear, that's not a jab at the new aesthetics, it looks pretty nice, I just wasn't expecting it to go back to light mode when I opened the site back up. Light modes on websites absolutely sear my eyes when I'm used to the dark mode 😆

It'll take a bit for me to get used to, but I do like the new aesthetics. I can see why the maintenance took a bit longer than anticipated. Looks like I also have some new material to complain about in the dark mode thread, but I'll wait until the transition fully completes before complaining about anything in there obviously 😛

Lookin' good so far, and take your time on transitioning the missing stuff. Actually, what is all the stuff that's currently missing? Is it anything big, or is it mostly just smaller things that still need to be moved over from the old version?

I'm going to have to rebuild much of the styles, including dark mode. I've just turned dark mode off for now cuz it got bored pretty bad unfortunately. 

As for what needs moved, charms and feedback are the biggest things, I'd say. 

The update does give us a a lot of new additional functionality and it's super nice on mobile. Just need some patience as it's a bigger lift than I was aware. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm going to have to rebuild much of the styles, including dark mode. I've just turned dark mode off for now cuz it got bored pretty bad unfortunately. 

As for what needs moved, charms and feedback are the biggest things, I'd say. 

The update does give us a a lot of new additional functionality and it's super nice on mobile. Just need some patience as it's a bigger lift than I was aware. 

MY EYES!!!!! THEY BURN!!!!!!!

• Haha 1