IGNORED

New file upload limits

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

After almost a year of monitoring uploads on the site, making sure everything is ok and not gonna cost us extra, we've made an update to the amount of files you can upload (your total space for attachments across the entire site) as well as how much you can add to a single post.

Please do be aware that these numbers are subject to change - if we find that the limit is TOO generous and it starts costing way more or something, we may have to scale it back. As it stands the generous people who support the site with donations and subscriptions (subscribe here!) are putting in enough that we're ok to take on a bit more. Your contributions will continue to slowly add new features and upgrades to the site!

• New total allowed attachments for all users: UNLIMITED!
  • New total attachment size allowed per post: 50MB

We recognize that people use the site for a number of purposes, and one of those is archiving data. This can often mean uploading many images to share info with others, and that is valuable to the community, so we are happy to foot the bill (really it's the subs that do so - thank them! If you see a coin site award on someone, they are making this place better!).

If you require an even BIGGER size limit for your posts, please contact me directly and I will see if I can help either steer you in a direction that will alleviate the issue (e.g. use IMGUR!), or perhaps increase your personal limit if the situation makes sense.

Thanks again for all your support of the site, and remember to have fun out there. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Would it help cost if we for example..   Deleted out our contest images after a contest had completed?.    

Nah, best case is that nobody has to delete anything just to conserve space/money, and right now we're not in danger of losing that, so not to worry!

On 8/26/2020 at 9:22 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

This is the one I'm most happy about, I've definitely had some trouble with the attachment size limit in the past. Thank you guys for all the work you've been doing on the site!

I feel the other way around.
I appreciate that there's no global limit, so you don't have to weirdly conserve space with regard for what submissions you might hope to have in the future.

... But what single post requires a 50MB upload? That kind of sounds like an invitation to not care about image compression at all. 😛

Homebrew Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, Sumez said:

My question still stands. What blog post requires 50MB? What do you need the space for outside of embedded images?

My current blog entry exceeded the previous limit and was under 50 mb by just a little.  It used GIFs, but they were all reduced and compressed.

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 1