IGNORED

bootgod NES cart database down

:\ man this is the third time this has happened in the past couple years.

I regularly use it as well. I wonder if there's a way to get in touch with whoever runs it, if it's a financial issue I'd be more than happy to contribute to a "keep bootgod alive" fund.

Can someone just make an online archive of gaming history, maybe under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 License and keep it open source and downloadable....maybe even have a torrent image of the entire archive.

If only the technology existed!

That sounds about right, and I've had to deal with that issue too in SNK circles.  There's a site called HardMVS which is fantastic, but it used to yo-yo off and online for years.  Currently it's up, someone from france resurrected it with a .fr address as it was and it's a valuable tool.  Though for MVS the equal on that would be mvs-scans.com as they do all the stickers, board variants, even the known pirates.

• 4 weeks later...

Still down for me 😞

What a terrible couple years it’s been for game archival.

Seems like the only way to have a proper database is to make it open source and downloadable.

>_> I think I might start something. Keep the scope ultra small and go from there, I’m tired of sitting on my hands.

Edited by ThePhleo

IIRC, aren't dyndns.org addresses the ones where the page is actually being hosted on someone's personal computer and it's an app that's bridging their home IP to the "static" one?  Taking a very brief look at the site seems to confirm this, so my guess would be that the owner/operator of the site is either having issues or has bowed out without letting anyone know.  Hopefully the archive.org backup is an up-to-date and complete one.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rethunter said:

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

Thanks for sharing this! I use this site all the time for a reference. Hopefully bootgod can have it back up and running soon but in the meantime it’s nice that someone created this mirror.

ya i dont have any idea what a mirror is but thank you.

49 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Nice, thank you for this.

Is there a way to get a downloadable version of this? A permanent shareable archive is far more important than having an online version that can go offline at any time

I guess more broadly, what are other similar collecting resources that need to be archived? Bootgod isn't even on internet archive and there's no *easy* way to archive an entire website on Archive.org, besides manually submitting pages to internet archive. I guess SNES Central would be an important one as well, RetroMags too, I'd have to think of other things.

Imgur isn't forever either, they want to be a sort of social media site, not an image hosting site. Photobucket went down and there's a lot of great old forum threads with pictures of rare things that were obliterated with it. NintendoAge sure wasn't. We should start a Collection on archive.org.

Edited by DefaultGen

1 minute ago, ThePhleo said:

Archive .org is always a risk of being sued into oblivion since they straight up give away stuff for free under the guise of academic use.

The ironic thing about archiving game history is you need to do it with mass appeal while staying low on the radar.

So back to old reliable, squirreling everything away into my personal digital hidey holes. But I still think archive.org is the internet's best chance at survival. You're a smart archivist, what are other websites that need to be saved?

Edited by DefaultGen

AssmeblerGames, NeoGAF (whatever it’s called now), racketboy, sega16, NeoGeo, this very website......4chan video games, pastebin game related stuff, The websites of the various game publishers across the world....then stuff that isn’t really “websites” but stuff like App Store interfaces, game console store interfaces.

Magazines are a big part of early game history so they need to be archived (is Castlevania II even possible to finish without a guide?)

Also there’s stuff like the Nintendo Gigaleaks. They’re totally unethical to dig through but they’re there...so what the f do we do with that data. 

You archive it whether they like it or not because otherwise it would be lost.  It sucks it got stolen, but the act is done and anyone who wanted to steal something or use it maliciously had that cat out of the bag long ago.  Might as well leave it out there for historical and preservation services at this rate.

I have a raw download of bootgod data from about 4-5 years ago. However, finding it on a backup will be pretty impossible right now without some exact filenames to use in the search of my index files.  Anyone have a cache with a pic name in it, or the name of a site php file besides 'index.php'?

• 2 weeks later...