IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Karate Champ

BeaIank

IMG_20200830_114912.thumb.jpg.95912b9b0ebb6152fe2f0a2bad6ebc91.jpg

Final update. Not a perfect run, but pretty good. Still only got ~5 vases. 

Figured out a slightly better (but riskier) strategy. Still room for improvement, including the bonus round. 

I'm pretty much maximizing all the actual fights. I still suck at the bonus rounds but am getting better. 

I have yet to figure out how to get more than two vases in a single bonus round. Other than that I got this game figured out. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

This game is so aggravating because of the hitboxes even more so than the controls. Sometimes I can immediately connect with a jump kick or punch, otherwise the match turns into just spamming sweep kicks, etc. hoping that I can hit Red before he hits me, as moves seem to connect almost at random. And the bonus rounds, forget it.

I'm not sure whether I'll bother to play this anymore.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

This game is so aggravating because of the hitboxes even more so than the controls. Sometimes I can immediately connect with a jump kick or punch, otherwise the match turns into just spamming sweep kicks, etc. hoping that I can hit Red before he hits me, as moves seem to connect almost at random. And the bonus rounds, forget it.

I'm not sure whether I'll bother to play this anymore.

That AVGN video was right about the hit detection. I played it a little on Sunday and one time I would hit the red guy just fine and the next time I would end up punching or kicking right through him.

14 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The hitboxes on this port aren't as sharp as on the arcade one, indeed.
That is sadly the greatest problem with this otherwise impressive game!

The controls aren't as bad as AVGN says either. I think they did an admirable job converting the twin stick controls of the arcade to a two button NES pad. Maybe the manual could have explained them better.

One of AVGN's main gripes is facing the wrong way and not being able to turn back around. But you can turn around by pressing right+B or left+A depending on which way you're facing, or jump over your opponent by pressing A+B. You can also attack in either direction. Once you're used to all this, it's not so bad.

Game could have been pretty solid with tighter hitboxes.

4 hours ago, BeaIank said:

The hitboxes on this port aren't as sharp as on the arcade one, indeed.
That is sadly the greatest problem with this otherwise impressive game!

I never played the arcade and I havent played a lot of this yet. Played a few games and generally get 20k+ and lose the 5th fight. It seems to me though, at least the first several fights, if the hit detection were better, the fights would be easy and over quick. Like @mbd39said, you can often deliver a quick punch or kick and grab a point in the first second or two. When that doesn't work, it turns into a shit-show. But I cant help but think that if the hit detection did work properly, you'd just get that quick kick in for 300 points over and over and that would be the whole game. It would be easier and less frustrating, but there would be very little to the game. 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

I never played the arcade and I havent played a lot of this yet. Played a few games and generally get 20k+ and lose the 5th fight. It seems to me though, at least the first several fights, if the hit detection were better, the fights would be easy and over quick. Like @mbd39said, you can often deliver a quick punch or kick and grab a point in the first second or two. When that doesn't work, it turns into a shit-show. But I cant help but think that if the hit detection did work properly, you'd just get that quick kick in for 300 points over and over and that would be the whole game. It would be easier and less frustrating, but there would be very little to the game. 

With better hit detection, they would've had to tweak other things such as enemy AI to keep the game from being too easy. Difficulty shouldn't come from terrible hit detection.

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The forward kick was the most op move on the arcade version for that very reason.
You could win bouts quickly with it, but the AI would start blocking it more often a few games in.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played Yie Ar Kung Fu a lot in the arcades as a kid. I had it on the Konami Arcade Classics for the GBA. It's still a fun game.

Did you ever beat the last guy?

I played it a lot as a kid, and later on MAME as an adult, and I could never beat him. There must be a way.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Blues? I had beat him before, but I don't remember what the trick was. I probably haven't played it in 10-15 years.

Nice.

Yeah, Blues. He's really cheap. His kicks have enormous range and pretty much stun lock you as well. Maybe there's a trick to beating him.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Nice.

Yeah, Blues. He's really cheap. His kicks have enormous range and pretty much stun lock you as well. Maybe there's a trick to beating him.

I think it's backing into the corner and hitting him with a jump kick/punch when he gets close. I remember that there is a trick to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

but the AI would start blocking it more often a few games in.

This is probably why I suck. I know you were talking about the arcade, but NES seems same way. After 3 or 4 matches, that method seems to go right through the opponents most of the time. Then i end up hopping around like a moron

On 8/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I have yet to figure out how to get more than two vases in a single bonus round. Other than that I got this game figured out. 

Is this still true with your recent score submission? When I saw 100k, I assumed you figured out the bonus scenes. Im going to put some time in this tonight. I gotta beat Doug's score so he will play more this weekend. 

Edited by NESfiend

45 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Is this still true with your recent score submission? When I saw 100k, I assumed you figured out the bonus scenes. Im going to put some time in this tonight. I gotta beat Doug's score so he will play more this weekend. 

I hit somewhere around 5-10 vases for the entire run. The rest came from the fights.