IGNORED

Game Investing Podcast

I like listening to all perspectives on video games, especially ones that are basically the opposite of how I approach things, kind of the equivalent of someone listening to Alex Jones just to say "What the fuck?". This podcast is from a guy who admittedly has very little experience with video games (he's never owned any video game console) but he's approaching video game collecting from a cold, dispassionate for-profit flipping mentality. The "comic people" have some hot takes compared to the old status quo, but this guy literally doesn't care about video games and I don't think I've ever seen someone who buys video games who doesn't actually care about video games.

Not endorsing it, but maybe you're morbidly curious about these perspectives like I am.

https://open.spotify.com/show/3eBbdQKv0coj05EmspZ7BB

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I like listening to all perspectives on video games, especially ones that are basically the opposite of how I approach things, kind of the equivalent of someone listening to Alex Jones just to say "What the fuck?". This podcast is from a guy who admittedly has very little experience with video games (he's never owned any video game console) but he's approaching video game collecting from a cold, dispassionate for-profit flipping mentality. The "comic people" have some hot takes compared to the old status quo, but this guy literally doesn't care about video games and I don't think I've ever seen someone who buys video games who doesn't actually care about video games.

Not endorsing it, but maybe you're morbidly curious about these perspectives like I am.

https://open.spotify.com/show/3eBbdQKv0coj05EmspZ7BB

I have just wasted almost 30 mins of my life I’ll never get back. Tyler file this one in the trash and please no one else waste your time. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

I have just wasted almost 30 mins of my life I’ll never get back. Tyler file this one in the trash and please no one else waste your time. 

If you don't get to the Famicom episode you won't hear about how he's waiting until a Mario sells for $1m before making a black box games episode.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ok, I have an idea.  I know we have a few members here that are in Asia.  Let's place a group order and get about 50-200 original, famicom Super Mario Bros shipped over here that we've each laid claim too.  We can all get 3-5.

Once our boat (literally) comes in, we can start posting to social media a BIG, BIG hype-train about the original "genesis" of Mario being that game.  Hype, hype, hype, and then we can coordinate pushing these through Heritage.  We can make millions each!  

• Haha 2

If I get really drunk and make a podcast about investing in some shit I don’t care about like smartphone boxes will you guys listen to it

And also share it to whatever forum or Facebook group out there collects smartphone boxes so we can just watch that hobby burn

• Haha 1

The most obviously misguided part of this, given that he knows nothing about the subject, is how he's assessing the "market movements" of things with no established market value. So, for example in one episode he's talking about how graded Atari games like Pacman are falling in value by like 40% when they go from like 4 grand sales to 2 grand sales in the space of a month. But neither price is meaningful, as the "market" for graded games is FAR too new and volatile to talk about in terms such as "movements" or "trends". He was doing exactly the same thing talking about sealed Halo NFR's, which he clearly doesn't realise are NOT unique one-of-a-kind rarities... SMH!!!

The market for graded video games is nowhere near mature enough to reveal rational pricing movements and value trends at this point, which is why we're seeing idiots eat multiple 4 figure loses on, for example, Atari Spiderman! And yet this fool is talking about it as though people had been trading graded games for decades, and the prices we are suddenly witnessing in the past 2 years are normal. Time will tell if it actually turns out that way, but it is WAY too soon to make that call, IMO.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, RH said:

Ok, I have an idea.  I know we have a few members here that are in Asia.  Let's place a group order and get about 50-200 original, famicom Super Mario Bros shipped over here that we've each laid claim too.  We can all get 3-5.

Once our boat (literally) comes in, we can start posting to social media a BIG, BIG hype-train about the original "genesis" of Mario being that game.  Hype, hype, hype, and then we can coordinate pushing these through Heritage.  We can make millions each! 

Sounds great! But instead of selling through Heritage we can cut out the middle man and sell very tiny pieces of the games ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, OptOut said:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/42VgyxSMBmapXsKz8b1KMw

Man, sounds like this guy really needs some help, like some sort of professional medical/psychiatric help. Not even making a funny here, I seriously mean it, he's describing some pretty heavy anxiety/mental health symptoms. 😕

I want to listen to the "in the zone" one about getting investment ideas feeding off negative energy from the reptilian brain. I don't think I've taken that approach yet.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 8/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, jonebone said:

You have no idea how much I REALLY, REALLY bite my tongue everytime I see the damn investment word come up.  These people will lose money though, joke's on them.

I'm waiting for video game mutual funds where you can invest in shares of multiple games. As stupid as it sounds, I bet it happens eventually.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

nice to meet you all 🙂

hopper here still going 63 episodes

in 85 days through a Bipolar episode...

just joined your interesting forum...

thank you for your excellent feedback

and LMK if you want to come on the

podcast to teach me/us and/or vent...

started gaming in the 70s, hard-core

early 80s pre-NES, bought and sold seven

figures in games, dirty reseller flipping 35 yrs.

still learning everyday and gaming to me

came from dropping quarters into the unknown,

driving far and wide for cabinets, adventure,

discovery, etc. I know little about genres,

characters, franchises, titles, etc.

that didn't matter in the Golden Age 🙂

• Like 1