IGNORED

Extremely minor complaints about playing games

koifish

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Show me an example of a game that will not allow you to proceed through the main part of the game/campaign until you have achieved a certain level of trophies/achievements.  I'm not aware of a single one, and if there are some out there, they are extremely rare.  Trophies and achievements are optional.  You don't have to go after them.  If that 1% bothers you, I can't help you. 

I've played over 100 PS3/PS4 games without actively trying to get any of the trophies, and I've never gone after a single achievement in any Xbox 360 game I've ever played.  

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Show me an example of a game that will not allow you to proceed through the main part of the game/campaign until you have achieved a certain level of trophies/achievements.  I'm not aware of a single one, and if there are some out there, they are extremely rare.  Trophies and achievements are optional.  You don't have to go after them.  If that 1% bothers you, I can't help you. 

I've played over 100 PS3/PS4 games without actively trying to get any of the trophies, and I've never gone after a single achievement in any Xbox 360 game I've ever played.  

Achievements are no MORE optional than anything else in gaming; I don't see how you're missing the point.  Whatever game you play is optional; whatever system you choose to play is optional; there are no laws on how you must play your games.  Your "argument" is akin to saying 'who cares if a game is riddled with glitches?  As long as the glitches don't impede your progress you have no grounds to form any sort of complaint.'  Well I'd be unhappy that the glitches even exist, EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T IMPEDE MY PROGRESS THROUGH THE GAME, just as I am unhappy - by and large - that achievements exist, EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T IMPEDE MY PROGRESS THROUGH THE GAME.

The point is that this thread is about minor complaints people have about playing games; if you can't understand that some people other than yourself may have some complaints about achievements, then I cannot help YOU!

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

The scratchy voice samples in Sega Genesis games. 

Oh who cares about that when you have BLAST PROCESSING!!!!!!! 😄   

And like I said, I'm so eager and can't for my chance to get the Mega Everdrive Pro and get access to all those great Sega CD titles...after all...

I mean, Nintendo kept insisting someday that their Nintendo CD would come and it'd be great but I guess...

Edited by Estil

8 hours ago, Kimbolemonslice said:

Having to run and hide in most modern horror games instead of fighting.

I don't mind it if the game makes it the core gameplay and worked into the story (a la Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but yeah, otherwise, that's lame.

It's a video game. Give me a pipe wrench or something and I'll wail on demons for hours. 😛

On 9/12/2020 at 12:09 AM, TDIRunner said:

No I'm not.  I know what you are saying.  I get it.  You can't opt out and I guess that would be a nice option.  But if you can't handle a tiny little ding with a super small icon that pops up every now and then, I don't know what to tell you.  

But it doesn't change the fact that you don't have to go after them in order to play the game.  There aren't any games that stop you half way through a campaign and say, "you can't proceed until you earn more trophies."  And if there is one out there that I don't know about, I will stand with you and say that game sucks.  

Handling it isn't the problem, the issue was until it was allowed, you had no choice but to be forced into it, no opting out until a later firmware update.  I just don't want them there, don't need them, and hate people need to be told manufactured goals to feel better about themselves playing as game, or to just troll brag which is sad either way.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:34 AM, scaryice said:

You can turn off trophy notifications on both PS3 & PS4.

On PS4 sure, but PS3 for like 1/2 it's pre-PS4 life you could not.  It was something added in a later firmware revision.  That's where the annoyance stems from as I killed it as soon as it was allowed.

15 hours ago, Rage780 said:

Games are too longed/dragged out and too open nowadays. I miss short 5 hour linear campaigns. 

Time based missions

Games with too many collectibles

That's too bad, I personally enjoy such RPG/quest sorts of games where you can easily take several dozen or even over a hundred hours...provided of course it's a truly great blue chip sort of game like say, Final Fantasy 9 (on four discs!), Final Fantasy 12, Dragon Quest 11, and so on.

I wonder if as we progress through this decade, in this "future time" we'll be able to have, I dunno, games or software that is kinda like Google Earth/streetview, but actually done in 3D polygon sort of deal.  I mean if we can have Minecraft be way bigger than our own planet...that would be cool if somehow my own local city/county could be done in open world game format.  If you guys get what I mean by all that.

On 9/13/2020 at 11:46 PM, Rage780 said:

Games are too longed/dragged out and too open nowadays. I miss short 5 hour linear campaigns. 

Time based missions

Games with too many collectibles

Agreed! Check out the new Battletoads. Tons of variety, no open world, completely optional collectibles, and clocks in at 3-5 hours. I've also heard the new Streets of Rage is great and only about 2 hours long.

• Thanks 1

Yeah SOR4 is like that, it's exceedingly difficult when you first start up as it almost has this RPG quality to it of getting better from both play but ranking up the character too.  I've read a lot saying start on easy, work into normal.  I tried normal and got through like 7/10 stages before being destroyed by a police/subordinate 2 against 1 fight.

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Agreed! Check out the new Battletoads. Tons of variety, no open world, completely optional collectibles, and clocks in at 3-5 hours. I've also heard the new Streets of Rage is great and only about 2 hours long.

I remember when the main complaint of GC's lanuch title, Luigi's Mansion, was that it was too short.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, Rage780 said:

Is it as hard as the originals?

No. Not even close. Overall it's pretty forgiving and there are several difficulty levels to choose from. And the actual beat 'em up part is only about 50-60% of the game. The rest is various minigames and other play styles.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm not a modern gamer, so I don't know how the achievement tracking works on every system, but I can tell you that at least one of the XBOX systems would load up an achievement percentage on every game as soon as you played the game once, according to a friend of mine.  So if you try out a game and pop one achievement and never play it again, it will be listed at 1% complete (or whatever) forever and add that to the cumulative percentage of all of your games, and you COULD NOT OPT OUT OR ERASE THIS - it was not optional.  My friend would purposely not play some games because he didn't want to take a gamble that it would be a game he wouldn't really want to delve into.  Now if this has changed in the last generation, then that is awesome, but it won't affect me either way as I'm not into playing current-gen games where the average completion time is deep into double-digit hours...

That would bug the crap outta me. Why do they do this to completion addicts, give them reasons to succumb to their disease, when they know it just means they would be playing something they don't like?

On 10/31/2020 at 7:56 PM, croagunk said:

Not having printed instruction manuals anymore in new games.

I was a huge fan of the manuals included in 3DS games, it meant you could read the manual even when you were out on the go. I guess most games today just build in a tutorial since that's better for con attendants and impatient youngsters.

On 9/15/2020 at 9:58 PM, Estil said:

I remember when the main complaint of GC's lanuch title, Luigi's Mansion, was that it was too short.

I was one of those people. I also remember when mirror's edge was called a short game at 8 hours. Ironically, I don't think people have changed their opinions at all. The thing that changed is that games now use tons of open-world, stat-building, etc. It isn't just a style choice, it makes the game much longer, through what we'd call before "padding". The game isn't made better by that added playtime, it is just made longer. If games were like the old days, they would be 10 hours but they would be meaningful hours. Or alternatively, just go back to making games that are an hour to beat and 10 hours to get good. 😎

The 3ds talk reminds me of what I hate a lot, which is forced, unskippable cutscene or tutorials. The biggest offender in my memory is shinobi for 3ds. I really like that game and want to beat it on master ninja difficulty, but I cannot stand that even on this ultimate difficulty, where you have 3 lives and no continues, that the game STILL forces you to mash through how the buttons work, and makes you watch a brief, unskippable in-engine cutscene. Is it minor? Sure, it's maybe 15 seconds. But hell if it doesn't drive me NUTS!! I would do a lot to get a version which removes that requirement entirely. Can I get a witness and a romhacker for Christmas?

• Like 1

It might be a little more than just "minor" for me but...

The fact that 90% of people who play online competitive games are terrible people. Seriously...I'm trying to enjoy a little multi-player fun and I'm surrounded by whiny, potato-headed man-children with inferiority complexes. 😒

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Would you believe some of the ones in NES games could go up to 80 pages (Dragon Quest/Warrior 3, Final Fantasy)...that's the manual, not the strategery guide!

The original Gran Turismo on PS1 had two instruction booklets that were so thick, the game had to be put in a double CD jewel case despite having only one disc.  Each individual manual would have been too thick to fit in a standard jewel case.  

Edit:  Just checked, and each booklet was 64 pages each.  One was meant to be the traditional instruction manual, and the other was a reference manual for the cars and driving techniques.  

Edited by TDIRunner

On 9/15/2020 at 7:23 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I've also heard the new Streets of Rage is great and only about 2 hours long.

Alright here's my take for the thread then. 😛 

2 hours is way too long for a beat'em up.
TNWA is already pushing it, running at about an hour.

It's the kind of game where you want to keep honing your skills, and then pull it off in a single sitting. I can't imagine playing a game for close to two hours only to screw it up making a mistake.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

I'd agree 2 hours is too much, at least in one sitting, as most of those brawler types are really meant to be as they get repetitive and cheaper as they go along too.  I'd believe it easily SoR4 is a couple hours long given the first and nearly only run I've put on it.  I get the fan service, but it really isn't quite sucking me in either.  I think I got 2/3 of the way or 3/4 into it but hit a wall.  I read that you're supposed to like a rogue like keep dying to level up so the bosses aren't so overpowered and horrible in the later parts of the game.  As long as it was getting to where I did on regular difficulty it wore me the hell out on interest.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:38 PM, Webhead123 said:

It might be a little more than just "minor" for me but...

The fact that 90% of people who play online competitive games are terrible people. Seriously...I'm trying to enjoy a little multi-player fun and I'm surrounded by whiny, potato-headed man-children with inferiority complexes. 😒

I think that game streaming and eSports have convinced too many people that they can get famous by playing video games. Still I think it's pretty gentle these days. I watch old griefing vids sometimes and am surprised by the things people would say to random strangers in games.