IGNORED

Extremely minor complaints about playing games

koifish

I found a minor nit pick on the Switch.

We've been playing Super Mario Party which requires the use of the Joy Cons.  I'm not a big fan of the Joy Cons, but fine, I can put up with it for this type of game.  That's not the issue.  The problem is when I put the game in sleep mode and quit for the night.  The next day, I want to play an SNES game, so I pickup my pro controller and turn the System on.  I plan to just close the software and start the SNES package of games.  Nope.  Since Super Mario Party requires Joy Cons, I have to get a Joy Con out in order to close the game, before I can pickup my Pro Controller to play something else.  There is nothing involved with closing the Software that requires the use of the Joy Con which means it's piss poor design.  Oh well.  That's a minor complaint for an overall fun game to play.

Edited by TDIRunner

Wireless controllers in general are pretty annoying. You lose the wire but then you have to deal with batteries, higher price to replace, accidentally turning off and on the system, using a specific controller to turn on the console, losing the thing itself since it's not tethered to the console. Was it really worth it haha? Definitely something to be said about the convenience of older consoles. Growing up in the 80s and 90s I think you just generally learn to hate batteries.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 8:52 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Wireless controllers in general are pretty annoying. You lose the wire but then you have to deal with batteries, higher price to replace, accidentally turning off and on the system, using a specific controller to turn on the console, losing the thing itself since it's not tethered to the console. Was it really worth it haha? Definitely something to be said about the convenience of older consoles. Growing up in the 80s and 90s I think you just generally learn to hate batteries.  

I actually enjoy the wireless controllers.  I think the downsides are minor enough to be overlooked by the benefits.  It might have something to do with the fact that my first experience with wireless controllers were PS3 and those were about perfect.  Lightweight, reliable and the batteries lasted forever.  Nintendo wireless controllers are nice as well because the batteries last for so long.  Whenever I get a low battery warning, I always have trouble remembering the last time I had the charge the thing.  

On 8/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, CMR said:

I shouldn't have to pay that much for an old video game I want.

My thought exactly. The other day I wanted to play Pac-Man on the Switch. I looked it up and I think I'd have to pay 20 something dollars for the Namco museum, when all I want to do is play Pac-Man. Also, the fact that I can't find a legit digital version of Tetris anywhere. I've looked and it isn't available to purchase digitally anywhere. Sometimes I just need my fix, man.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Loading times on the early 32 bit stuff.

This is part of what makes me avoid certain disc-based ports of games. If I know I can get a cart version then I'll do it, because most of the time it will be better for loading. IIRC 32X and N64 are the saviors of this for things like NBA Jam and its many variants.

1 hour ago, koifish said:

This is part of what makes me avoid certain disc-based ports of games. If I know I can get a cart version then I'll do it, because most of the time it will be better for loading. IIRC 32X and N64 are the saviors of this for things like NBA Jam and its many variants.

Well yeah but you'd be missing out on some major blue chip exclusives on the PS1 or other disc based systems.  I think the PSIO might shave a few seconds off what would be the original disc loading times but I'm not sure...

On 8/31/2020 at 9:52 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

These days we have much bigger TVs to play our games on and need to sit further away to make the most of the picture. Plus, if I sit cross legged on the floor for an hour like I would as a kid in my 30s my back will be on literal fire when I get up. I need wireless to enjoy games.

That being said, I also hate batteries and especially not being able to turn off paddles without shutting down the whole system!

5 hours ago, Estil said:

Well yeah but you'd be missing out on some major blue chip exclusives on the PS1 or other disc based systems.  I think the PSIO might shave a few seconds off what would be the original disc loading times but I'm not sure...

I didn't mean games that were only on disc, but games that were on multiple platforms, some cart and some disc. Being able to get a quick-loading version will often make the difference there.

2 hours ago, koifish said:

I didn't mean games that were only on disc, but games that were on multiple platforms, some cart and some disc. Being able to get a quick-loading version will often make the difference there.

I can agree with that.  Especially when the disc version wasn't really any better.  You mentioned NBA Jam earlier which is a pretty good example where the disc version didn't really improve anything over the cart.  I would say Mortal Kombat would be another (the earlier games, obviously not the modern stuff).

Developers forcing crafting mechanics into every single game.

Need to pad the length of your game? Crafting!

Need a reason for players to explore your boring environments? Crafting!

Need to add replay value? Crafting!

I loved Tomb Raider (2013). I though the gameplay loop was fantastic while still having some nice diversions and side content. Then Rise of the Tomb Raider added crafting which really ruined the pacing of the game. Having to scour environments looking for sparkling objects so you can build an arrow is the opposite of fun. God of War (2018) is another example of crafting gone wrong. Would the gameplay have been any worse if you just found new sets of armor? Absolutely not. It would have been more streamlined, though.

If I had to pick a game that did it right, I'd say Breath of the Wild and its recipes. But that's mostly because the food adds valuable buffs for exploring and fighting.  Even so, the game would have been more fun without that mechanic.

Anyone else hate crafting?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Developers forcing crafting mechanics into every single game.

Need to pad the length of your game? Crafting!

Need a reason for players to explore your boring environments? Crafting!

Need to add replay value? Crafting!

I loved Tomb Raider (2013). I though the gameplay loop was fantastic while still having some nice diversions and side content. Then Rise of the Tomb Raider added crafting which really ruined the pacing of the game. Having to scour environments looking for sparkling objects so you can build an arrow is the opposite of fun. God of War (2018) is another example of crafting gone wrong. Would the gameplay have been any worse if you just found new sets of armor? Absolutely not. It would have been more streamlined, though.

If I had to pick a game that did it right, I'd say Breath of the Wild and its recipes. But that's mostly because the food adds valuable buffs for exploring and fighting.  Even so, the game would have been more fun without that mechanic.

Honestly, I've never been a fan of crafting, even in older DQ games.  Whatever you craft is basically permanent which means for a player like me, I don't do it unless I have a specific guide.  The only caveat I'd give that is that when there are obvious combos that basically allow you to clean out inventory.  For instance, craft together 3 potions, get 1 hi-potion.  This makes sense and allows you to get something useful for your junk and not having to dump it into a shop.

What I actually prefer is something like item augmentation.  It's no secret I love Final Fantasy VII, but one of the biggest traits of the game I love the most isn't the story or the battle system.  It's the materia system.  They way you could add, link or utilize materia made nearly uncountable combinations of ways you could use the system, and the materia also augmented your base stats depending on the type.  IMHO, this has been the best weapons upgrade system I've ever encountered, and I've often wished that someone would make a system nearly exactly the same, but with even more options and possibilities to explore.  Alas, I've not found such a game.

But "crafting".  No thank you.  I might reference a guide this day and age, but to me it feels a bit like cheating.  If you almost certainly have to reference the internet to get the 20 required items to meld components together to get the mega-super-awesome weapon or armor, then I'm out.  That's not for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I definitely agree that the cooking in BOTW was fun.  The experimentation was really rewarding.  I managed to figure out all of the best cooking recipes without ever consulting a guide which was a lot of fun.  However, what did get to be a little tedious was the crafting for armor upgrades.  It's nice that you can either buy armor or find it in treasure chests, but if you want to upgrade the armor, that's when you get into the 10 of this item, and 5 of this item crap.  The first upgrades aren't too bad, but by the time you are trying to max out your best armor, you are searching all over the damn place a super large number of hard to find stuff.  I did manage to max out every armor set in the game on my first play through, but that's one of those things that I will probably never do a second time.  I'm currently playing the game again now, and I will most likely only go for the 4 or 5 armor sets that are useful in my opinion.  

• Like 2

Thats the one part of BotW I hated too, once you were over trying to find 10-15 of each item to just inch up the armor values a little, I was over it entirely.  I'd rather just try harder not to get hit than put up with that hours long nightmare of finding random crap to craft stuff.  The food and others fine, but not that.  Also like most, hated the breakable weapons, but it just encouraged me to use the unlimited potential of beating or smashing things to death using the magnetic ability, or blowing up enemies with bombs or other environmental parts to rain death down on a target too.  That all had potential for some fun consequences.

• Like 1

How about how in Dragon Quest 11, Final Fantasy 12, and I'm sure some other RPGs on the PS3/PS4...you only get a bronze trophy for maxing out (level 99) a character???  Given how you need well over 100 hours to do that, it should be worth a silver at least!  And perhaps a gold for maxing out everyone.

Maybe I should do a topic about that sometime; bronze trophies that are ridiculously hard and gold trophies that are ridiculously easy (not counting games that are supposed to be easy/child friendly like that Snoopy one).