IGNORED

High Score on Netflix

3rdStrongestMole

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Oh god guys, grow up.

I thought the documentary as a whole was pretty good.  I really loved the original Doom monsters in the last episode.

Does growing up entail not being able to have an opinion? Because if so, I think I'm good...

Also, you're telling people who mostly collect video games for nostalgia's sake to grow up, so there might be a bit of irony buried in that one... 

Also, yes, as a whole the show is pretty entertaining. 

3 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Does growing up entail not being able to have an opinion? Because if so, I think I'm good...

Also, you're telling people who mostly collect video games for nostalgia's sake to grow up, so there might be a bit of irony buried in that one... 

Also, yes, as a whole the show is pretty entertaining. 

Yes, grow up.

The NWC part was pretty enjoyable as there was video I hadn't seen before.  

Yeah they didn't interview the right people I feel for the Nintendo parts.   But there was still a lot of stuff included that wouldn't really appeal to casual gamers which was nice.   Most documentaries are very general and this had a lot of specific information.  I think it would be interesting to see the extended interviews.

All the pixel art sequences they should have completely cut out.  Was really jarring to see modern garbage pixel art they made for the documentary and then switch to the amazing pixel art made in the 90s from say SF2 or Doom. 😂

2 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Oh you mean like how this fucking thread became political because a few dicks couldn’t help but comment on something being political. 

Literally just giving my perspective on the show. For God's sake, if I want to watch mindless shit for once and get a break from the kind of stuff that's flooding Facebook and Instagram I feel like that shouldn't be too hard to do...

And you act like people are running around tarnishing all the good shit out there in the world by "commenting on something being political". Yeah, God forbid that get pointed out. Ever. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, attakid101 said:

Oh you mean like how this fucking thread became political because a few dicks couldn’t help but comment on something being political. 

giphy.gif

That discussion would have very likely ended on page 1, that was until guitarzombie and you decided to continue it, and now it's a thing.

Please, no one quote or @ me in this thread, I don't feel like being apart of the shit show for any longer than this one post. Lmao

Thanks, Op, I completely forgot about this. I'll probably watch some over the weekend.

Edited by Sir Centroid

7 hours ago, Sir Centroid said:

That discussion would have very likely ended on page 1, that was until guitarzombie and you decided to continue it, and now it's a thing.

Please, no one quote or @ me in this thread, I don't feel like being apart of the shit show for any longer than this one post. Lmao

Right. It’s a thing now because because guitarzombie and I didn’t shrug it off good naturedly. But it wasn’t a thing when the dudes on page one were patting each other on the back in agreement. 

Sound logic.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Literally just giving my perspective on the show. For God's sake, if I want to watch mindless shit for once and get a break from the kind of stuff that's flooding Facebook and Instagram I feel like that shouldn't be too hard to do...

And you act like people are running around tarnishing all the good shit out there in the world by "commenting on something being political". Yeah, God forbid that get pointed out. Ever. 

I get that. I do. And I agree that a lot of the time “political” issues are shoehorned into movies and TV for seemingly no reason. 

The cynical part of me believes that Netflix and other other large media groups are only paying lip service to “causes” that are trending at the moment because it’s good for their brand. 

But maybe these media groups are overcompensating because for 99% of our shared history these topics/groups/issues have been ignored.

Maybe it’s nice for the marginalized and underrepresented to feel included in the conversation for the first time. Because maybe these little “political” segments weren’t added with you in mind at all. Maybe they were shoehorned into the narrative specifically for the people who feel like they’ve been excluded from these narratives for decades—centuries.

I know it’s annoying sometimes, man. I sometimes roll my eyes at it too. Like that “girl power” seen in Endgame. You know the one I mean. But then, after the movie, my daughter said, “daddy, wasn’t it cool when all the girl heroes helped each other”. And then I realized that scene wasn’t put there for me. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, attakid101 said:

I get that. I do. And I agree that a lot of the time “political” issues are shoehorned into movies and TV for seemingly no reason. 

The cynical part of me believes that Netflix and other other large media groups are only paying lip service to “causes” that are trending at the moment because it’s good for their brand. 

But maybe these media groups are overcompensating because for 99% of our shared history these topics/groups/issues have been ignored.

Maybe it’s nice for the marginalized and underrepresented to feel included in the conversation for the first time. Because maybe these little “political” segments weren’t added with you in mind at all. Maybe they were shoehorned into the narrative specifically for the people who feel like they’ve been excluded from these narratives for decades—centuries.

I know it’s annoying sometimes, man. I sometimes roll my eyes at it too. Like that “girl power” seen in Endgame. You know the one I mean. But then, after the movie, my daughter said, “daddy, wasn’t it cool when all the girl heroes helped each other”. And then I realized that scene wasn’t put there for me. 

This was well put and I actually appreciate you approaching this from a conversational standpoint.

In order to not derail the thread anymore:

The Sega episode was my favorite. Seeing their marketing campaign against Nintendo from the other side had me remembering how I felt towards Sega when I was 8. I really did feel like it was the "older kid console". My friend had a Sega and was allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead... I was stuck renting SNES consoles from Blockbuster and watching Power Rangers 😂.

I really liked the Doom episode, over all I thought it was well done. My only issue is why did they use dirty consoles. Some of those consoles looked like they found them on the side of the road and that NES they used for a while had a knock off cart door 😂😂😂 

Edited by Psychobear85
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Psychobear85 said:

I really liked the Doom episode, over all I thought it was well done. My only issue is why did they use dirty consoles. Some of those consoles looked like they found them in the side of the rod and that NES they used for a while had a knock off cart door 😂😂😂 

I thought that about the Sega one too. Maybe they didn't wanna pay for a new one, but it looked used as fuck

On 8/10/2020 at 8:53 AM, Sumez said:

Oof, this kind of "documentary" format rubs me the wrong way. It just seems extremely superficial and shallow. I wanted to watch the "Movies That Made Us" miniseries also on Netflix because of the subject matter, but I couldn't make it through the first half of the Die Hard episode because of how cringeworthy it was. It felt like it didn't care at all about the very thing it was supposed to document.

I'm gonna watch this because I'm curious about it, but I have a feeling it'll just wake up the "um ackshually..." in me. 😛 

I liked the home alone one. And ghosbusters one was pretty good. Didnt care enough to watch the dirty dancing or diehard ones

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

I just finished the whole series and thought it was ok. It was very shallow overall and after the second episode, the structure kind of bounces all over the place. It didn't offer any new info, but it was really cool to see the original coverage/footage of the Nintendo and Sega championships.

For anyone interested, Masters of Doom is a really good book about iD and the 90's PC era, and Blood, Sweat, and Pixels is a good read about game development. 

Notes on the first episode:

Interesting to hear what Charles Martinet really sounds like.  I hate his Mario voice.

Rebecca Heineman’s story is interesting. I really like her description of joy that she got from Space Invaders.

The MIT modders are interesting too, but I knew some of that before. Very nice to get the fleshed-out story. 

I would like to watch the full original sources of the archival footage. Some of it obviously is not VG related, like the NYC street scenes preceding the Space Invaders tournament. But I think they did a good job putting everything together and that’s where the value of this style lies, imo. They’re telling a story in a way that makes a certain kind of sense. 

On 8/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

So far I watched the first two episodes and then part of the one with Mortal Kombat.   I'll probably check out the Sega/Madden one too, but zero interest in the D&D or 3D games ones.

The 3d one is actually pretty interesting. It's mostly about Doom and Starfox. None of the episodes are heavy on modern gaming except for one random section about esports in the fighting game episode. It tends to stick to the origins of things, or at least what made them get big. It does tend to Netflix all over itself a few times but it was overall a pretty interesting series.

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, toma said:

The 3d one is actually pretty interesting. It's mostly about Doom and Starfox. None of the episodes are heavy on modern gaming except for one random section about esports in the fighting game episode. It tends to stick to the origins of things, or at least what made them get big. It does tend to Netflix all over itself a few times but it was overall a pretty interesting series.

Yes, but there is absolutely nothing about Doom or Starfox that interests me.   So it sounds like I'm good skipping that one.

Events Team · Posted

I enjoyed the series but it is a little topical and leaves something to be desired.  It kind of meanders about with competitive play being a loose central focus.  I get the need to show the history of how video games evolved, but do early pc text adventures and RPGs really have a place in a High Score documentary? 

Still,  the compare/contrast between the players and the devs was pretty good.  The player perspective is really essential, especially the tournament events.  I wish there was a little more of that.