IGNORED

Pikmin 3 Deluxe announced for Switch

yellowgameboycolor

Now that every Wii U game has basically been ported over to Switch...will the Wii U still be viable to even collect for? What are your guys' thoughts. I'm glad everything is ported over but it just seems like there's really no reason to have a Wii U other than for modding purposes at this point.

• Like 2

I modded mine recently and put all my games on a hard drive.  Currently I am playing through Wind Waker and remembering how great this system really is.  The games still look good and the second screen is perfect for inventories/maps.  It is still very collectible as most of the games are cheaper than Switch and only lack some tacked on DLC. I've owned a few switch ports and sold most to recoup the money.  Let's not forget the Wii mode.

I hear the argument that the Wii U is irrelevant but the same argument could be made that first party Switch output is lazy due to tons of ports.

Edited by zeppelin03

WiiU viable, only if you're a die hard Nintendo fanboy/girl who has to own everything they've put on the market with video gaming.  Terrible system with some excellent games that got saddled and potential ruined by its failure in design, execution and sales.  Fantastic seeing this one make it out finally, and I figured they would and were just biding their time for an opening.

zeppelein, hardly they're padding the switch first party stuff with great games with ruined sales on a bomb piece of crap so that's a pretty unfair statement.  Arguing it's irrelevent makes no sense given it stands well on its own unique titles by now, and the added pad most people never experienced because the WiiU was awful and given up on by many, most before it even arrived given those sales.  For most people who own the Switch, they're brand new games entirely.

Now if they'd just find a way to fix Starfox and stuff that out.  So glad to see Pikmin 3 finally get a fair chance to succeed where the system it was on failed it.  By the time it arrived people had already been selling their hardware and moving on.  WiiU at this rate is worthless as a gaming system unless you hack it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I modded mine recently and put all my games on a hard drive.  Currently I am playing through Wind Waker and remembering how great this system really is.  The games still look good and the second screen is perfect for inventories/maps.  It is still very collectible as most of the games are cheaper than Switch and only lack some tacked on DLC. I've owned a few switch ports and sold most to recoup the money.  Let's not forget the Wii mode.

I hear the argument that the Wii U is irrelevant but the same argument could be made that first party Switch output is lazy due to tons of ports.

I agree with all of this, but I'm ok with letting go of the Wii U. I just sold my WW edition console a couple weeks ago because if I can still play the games (on the Switch) I'd rather have one less system, HDD, and giant controller to take up space and 2 electric outlets freed up. One less system to worry about my kids jamming a disc into wrong.

But yeah, Nintendo has been lazy and I hope they don't get too comfortable. They've dredged the Wii U well at this point and are going to have to actually make some new games.

16 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I agree with all of this, but I'm ok with letting go of the Wii U. I just sold my WW edition console a couple weeks ago because if I can still play the games (on the Switch) I'd rather have one less system, HDD, and giant controller to take up space and 2 electric outlets freed up. One less system to worry about my kids jamming a disc into wrong.

But yeah, Nintendo has been lazy and I hope they don't get too comfortable. They've dredged the Wii U well at this point and are going to have to actually make some new games.

I would gladly move to the switch if there was an upgrade program for prior owners.  Didn't Nintendo offer a discount for people to move their Wii eShop titles to Wii U?  Something like that and I would dump these games.  I would gladly give them $20 or so to move my game to the next console, but $60 is a tough sell.

For those who skipped on Wii U these are great releases.  I will likely get the ports cheap one day and pass the Wii U to friends who want the Nintendo back catalog.

Edited by zeppelin03

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

WiiU viable, only if you're a die hard Nintendo fanboy/girl who has to own everything they've put on the market with video gaming.  Terrible system with some excellent games that got saddled and potential ruined by its failure in design, execution and sales.  Fantastic seeing this one make it out finally, and I figured they would and were just biding their time for an opening.

zeppelein, hardly they're padding the switch first party stuff with great games with ruined sales on a bomb piece of crap so that's a pretty unfair statement.  Arguing it's irrelevent makes no sense given it stands well on its own unique titles by now, and the added pad most people never experienced because the WiiU was awful and given up on by many, most before it even arrived given those sales.  For most people who own the Switch, they're brand new games entirely.

Now if they'd just find a way to fix Starfox and stuff that out.  So glad to see Pikmin 3 finally get a fair chance to succeed where the system it was on failed it.  By the time it arrived people had already been selling their hardware and moving on.  WiiU at this rate is worthless as a gaming system unless you hack it.

I hear you about the current gen releases. Nintendo has done a great job with new releases this generation. It's some of my favorite stuff.  Just saying it's too easy to discount a good system.  The Wii U won't be the Dreamcast though.  All the good stuff is leaving the console.

4 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I hear you about the current gen releases. Nintendo has done a great job with new releases this generation. It's some of my favorite stuff.  Just saying it's too easy to discount a good system.  The Wii U won't be the Dreamcast though.  All the good stuff is leaving the console.

No doubt.  WiiU will never be a Dreamcast, it has nothing left at all to stand on other than its own failures.  I think every game now has been released basically to the Switch or will be this year, other than the Yoshi that hit the 3DS instead earlier on.  DC has dozens of games stuck on that system you either buy the hardware, emulate, or half it with a SD card drop in drive on the old system and go that way.  There's motivation and good reason there, the WiiU has nothing but hackability left for it.  I don't even like to hack systems, and I detest the WiiU for many things including being the first system I've ever owned I sold off in disgust while on the market, but even I'm smart enough to know if I could bag one for like $50 I'd hack that thing and go nuts as a mulitpurpose machine to use on TV or off with that anchored pad it has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

No doubt.  WiiU will never be a Dreamcast, it has nothing left at all to stand on other than its own failures.  I think every game now has been released basically to the Switch or will be this year, other than the Yoshi that hit the 3DS instead earlier on.  DC has dozens of games stuck on that system you either buy the hardware, emulate, or half it with a SD card drop in drive on the old system and go that way.  There's motivation and good reason there, the WiiU has nothing but hackability left for it.  

Agreed.  As much as I hate to say it, the Wii U is pretty damn close to being truly obsolete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowgameboycolor said:

Now that every Wii U game has basically been ported over to Switch...will the Wii U still be viable to even collect for? What are your guys' thoughts. I'm glad everything is ported over but it just seems like there's really no reason to have a Wii U other than for modding purposes at this point.

Ah good. Been waiting for this announcement for a while. Could Star Fox Zero be coming to Switch as well in the future?

The only reasons I can think of that anyone would want a Wii U are collectors who need to have every Nintendo system, or the few people who don't have the original Wii and want to make use of the Wii U's backwards compatibility.

5 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Ah good. Been waiting for this announcement for a while. Could Star Fox Zero be coming to Switch as well in the future?

The only reasons I can think of that anyone would want a Wii U are collectors who need to have every Nintendo system, or the few people who don't have the original Wii and want to make use of the Wii U's backwards compatibility.

Back compatability or if you already own the games and don't want to double dip are the only reasons. 

I would love to knock out my Wii U backlog and sell it off. I already have BOTW, DKTF, and Mario Kart 8 deluxe. Give me Zeldas and 3d World so I can sell this stuff off.  Just need to spend a year convincing my wife.

Edited by zeppelin03