IGNORED

Is sealed collecting platform specific?

Let’s say for example you are a big Nintendo collector. You got a bunch of games you play and along the way you’ve also picked up some sealed games. 

Since you have sealed games that you are never going to play anyways, they’re strictly just pieces of artwork for looking at. Assuming you don’t own any non-Nintendo platforms, would you then consider picking up sealed games for a franchise that you like on another platform (ex. Atari, Sega, PlayStation, X Box, PC) even if you don’t have that console and never intend to play it?

• Like 1

I would definitely. I go for sealed games that have sentimental value to me, and certain franchises can hold that same value. 

So, yeah. I have 0 DS games, but I'll probably end up getting a sealed Chrono Trigger for it. Don't collect PlayStation, but I'd be all about sealed FF games... Just some examples.

Only downside is I'm not nearly as good at legitimizing seals for other consoles

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
None

The beauty of this hobby is you can collect whatever the hell you want.

For example, I collect the following:

- CIBs of games I had/played as a kid from any platform 

- sealed copies of my absolute favorites

- every Madden game ever made

- any game/console with a Hills price sticker

None of those make any sense at all together but it’s what I care about.

• Like 2

There’s a clear tendency for many years that all things early Nintendo were must haves for any sealed collectors.

That also clearly has shifted into a new hobby of key title collecting where collectors want first prints of AAA titles that they can market as rare.

Im sure there are thousands of sealed Halo’s out there, but people are bananas for NFR editions of it right now...I’m sure there are hundreds (if not a thousand+) of sealed SMB3 right now but even the right Bros is a hot commodity.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, ThePhleo said:

There’s a clear tendency for many years that all things early Nintendo were must haves for any sealed collectors.

That also clearly has shifted into a new hobby of key title collecting where collectors want first prints of AAA titles that they can market as rare.

Im sure there are thousands of sealed Halo’s out there, but people are bananas for NFR editions of it right now...I’m sure there are hundreds (if not a thousand+) of sealed SMB3 right now but even the right Bros is a hot commodity.

Yeah it’s crazy how that has shifted over the years. A few years ago it was purely individual title rarity and condition. There were very few people interested in variants - those people are definitely profiting right now.

To echo madddencollector and Phleo, it’s definitely changed significantly lately. I felt sealed needed a market correction for a long time prior but now it’s just crazy. NES is still king and was before but now even n64, 2600 and Genesis are having a huge jump. 

It will be interesting in the next couple years to see where it all lands, we’ve already seen stuff get hyped up and then dropped like a bad habit. The new investors certainly make things interesting. 

I collect sealed games that i want, not because theyre « cool » but because they matter to me. I dont care about most BB/hangtabs so thats good for my wallet.

whats less good is i grew up with lots of games that everybody else grew up with, and those quality titles for the platforms i collect for are getting erm..... expensive to say the least!

i love getting a mint obscure game that nobody but me cares about for cheap too 🙂

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

@OptOut It's the Taiwan version, you can rip those open left and right and no one will care. Besides, Xbox....ewwww...

Actually though, maybe I should open that demon game? Would people care about that? 

No, because no one has ever heard of it! People only care about stuff they heard of before, you know that! 😉