IGNORED

Homebrew Leaderboard Competition 2020 - Game 8: Brony Blaster

Deadeye

Homebrew Team · Posted

Homebrew Leaderboard Competition 2020 - Game 8: Brony Blaster

Play Period: Friday, August 7, 2020 - Sunday, August 23, 2020

Download the rom here.

We are getting into the final stretch of the regular season.  Up next is, ...umm… an odd one, Brony Blaster by Vectrex28.  My Little Pony has been canceled and the Bronies are causing a riot.  You are called in to stop the madness.  Punch your way through the levels and face off against the boss.

No continues.  Post your high score at the continue screen or at game completion.  

The round will begin August 7th, hold off until the start because no score posted before then will be accepted. Please limit your posts to including your scores so as not to clutter the thread.

newbrony-s1.png.22095ac5a1289f6abd09502f066164f9.pngnewbrony-s2.png.1a534e6d4f8337c91f4e37ac7fe868fa.png

How to submit your score:

1. Scores shall be submitted by posting a picture to that month’s game thread.  Screenshots of a computer screen (print screen) are not acceptable.

2. The picture must include the entire screen and have your VGS user name within the picture on a piece of paper.   Username can not be added digitally to the picture.

3. Type out your score in bold on your thread post.

4. Scores must be submitted within the posted time frame.

5. Do not submit scores from previous runs.

6. Use one post for your score.  You can submit as many as you like by editing your original post.  You can bump the thread to announce your new score.

Rules:

1. NTSC only, no PAL.  This will create a level playing field and not create differences based on timing.

2. OEM, FPGA, and clone consoles are OKAY.

3. Emulators are OKAY.  Play game at 100% speed.

4. No save states allowed.

5. Flashcarts (i.e. Everdrive / Power Pak) are OKAY.

6. No turbo or slow motion controllers are allowed.

7. No game genie codes.

8. Do not use glitches in the game to boost your score.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Brony Blaster Leaderboard

Username                 Score                   Date

Red                           2,507,700         8/23/2020

Gaia Gensouki       1,334,600          8/19/2020

ZeldaFreak               439,310           8/19/2020

DefaultGen               186,850           8/19/2020

Bertsampson           170,070          8/23/2020

Ecmyers                   127,650            8/23/2020

CasualCart               94,850             8/18/2020

Ausden                      68,750              8/19/2020

Jicsan                       68,050             8/16/2020

Deadeye                   62,500             8/19/2020

JamesRobot              52,950             8/18/2020

Scrobins                   36,800             8/17/2020

Jeevan                     24,300              8/18/2020

Edited by Deadeye

• The topic was pinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Just gave this game a try. I don't have much experience with homebrew games, so this is fairly new. I have somewhat mixed feelings about this, too. On the one hand it's super impressive that someone manages to develop a game for this old hardware, which probably has to be written in assembly? On the other hand you can tell that these games are a bit rough around the edges. There were many, many deaths by enemies straight up spawning while I was jumping over a cliff and due to the ensuing knockback I got thrown into a pit over and over again. The range of the default weapon, i.e. fists, is also very short which makes jump attacks fairly difficult to pull off. So it really takes a bit of time to figure this out and get further. I'll try to improve later. Anyway, here's Wonderwall my score:

brownie blaster new score.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

7 hours ago, Jicsan said:

Those guys in the hats that throw out words... they take too many hits to kill and are standing where you can't make jumps or even reach them to kill them.  Unless maybe I'm missing how to do something?

Yeah, they're really cheap. I would ignore the one in the first level. As for that guy in the second level you need to get yourself hit before jumping on that guys platform. Mercy invincibility lasts quite long in this game and if you're fast enough you should be able to jump on that platform and either kill him or maybe just shamsh that boy once and jump again to safety. Some of the crates are also tough to get to at first, but they're so useful sicne they give you better weapons. Maybe this game will be significantly easier once you've acquired nicer weapons.

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm excited to join in here to fill out my 'Taste the Brew' box for VGS Bingo.

@Deadeye - I want to double-check before playing, though. Do you have the rights to distribute these homebrew games for the contest? I just want to make sure I'm not downloading and playing something without the 'okay' from the developer.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
39 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I'm excited to join in here to fill out my 'Taste the Brew' box for VGS Bingo.

@Deadeye - I want to double-check before playing, though. Do you have the rights to distribute these homebrew games for the contest? I just want to make sure I'm not downloading and playing something without the 'okay' from the developer.

-CasualCart

4 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@CasualCart all the games for entire competition are free from the developers.  Nothing to worry about in that regard.

@Vectrex28 is a good guy @CasualCart.  He made quite a few games, if u like this you might look up his stuff.  Some of it is on steam from that Dragoon guy, can't think of the studio, or the guys name, i bought games from him too 😕

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

@Vectrex28 is a good guy @CasualCart.  He made quite a few games, if u like this you might look up his stuff.  Some of it is on steam from that Dragoon guy, can't think of the studio, or the guys name, i bought games from him too 😕

Second Dimension. 

Though finding his stuff is a biiiiit hard, since he's far from the only one using that name. 

Graphics Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@CasualCart all the games for entire competition are free from the developers.  Nothing to worry about in that regard.

Awesome - I'm stoked to play, then! Hopefully I'll get a score posted tomorrow! (And maybe join in more of these homebrew contests down the line.)

-CasualCart