IGNORED

Club Nintendo

8 hours ago, bowser said:

Yeah I hit Platinum a couple times. I found a glitch back then that let me register multiple 3ds consoles and get 160 coins for each one 😄 

So YOU are the reason why when I went to register serials from eBay photos,  only to then find out I had to verify through the device!

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

I got most of the prizes, missed the hat year but got it off another.  I got rid of all of them over time except for the question block box with the Super Mario Bros main players statue which still sits on my shelf near by.  The value of those prizes when I wanted something I'd actually care about using vs staring at on a shelf made me get rid of them, don't regret it at all.  Had I thought Dark Moon not sucked I'd probably have kept that one.

8 hours ago, DarkTone said:

What other gifts were there?

Off the top of my head not googling.  Mario Hat which supposedly shouldn't be worn due to the dyes, a deck of playing cards, a sealed up set of a few long thin boxes loaded with buttons to wear, the Mario cast trophy in the ? block box, and then the on the side trophy for Luigis Mansion 2.  They also had a couple years of DS exclusives, both were Game & Watch releases and had just like 2 titles on each, very lean but nice.

There was also the reproduction of the Ball Game & Watch game.  Not for a console, they actually reproduced the unit.  The Japanese one is quite easy to find and reasonably priced but, for reasons I don't understand, collectors haven't picked up on the fact that the US one is much less common and goes for the same price.  I can't speak for the hardware, but the box and packaging is different, though.

I never went platinum but I always loved those extra goodies.  I have a NIB Ball, and the two DS Game & Watch gallery exclusives, both sealed.  I bought them back when they were both available because I liked collecting that stuff.  They only Club Nintendo thing I got through the system with my own points is a black tote back that has yellow screen printing of "common" 2D SMB titles like blocks, stars, coins and mushrooms.  I let my daughter use it before I took it back after a while.  At one point it was going for about $40, and that's when I decided that if it kept creeping up in price, I wasn't going to let a 5 year old paint on it or wear out the velcro.

• Like 1

I made platinum every year except the first year. It was a cool service with some cool gifts. I remember getting the game and watch repro and the gold wii nunchuck. There were some other things but it was really neat. It put the current my nintendo to shame, although I remember it not working very well for mobile sites.

10 hours ago, RH said:

There was also the reproduction of the Ball Game & Watch game.  Not for a console, they actually reproduced the unit.  The Japanese one is quite easy to find and reasonably priced but, for reasons I don't understand, collectors haven't picked up on the fact that the US one is much less common and goes for the same price.  I can't speak for the hardware, but the box and packaging is different, though.

I never went platinum but I always loved those extra goodies.  I have a NIB Ball, and the two DS Game & Watch gallery exclusives, both sealed.  I bought them back when they were both available because I liked collecting that stuff.  They only Club Nintendo thing I got through the system with my own points is a black tote back that has yellow screen printing of "common" 2D SMB titles like blocks, stars, coins and mushrooms.  I let my daughter use it before I took it back after a while.  At one point it was going for about $40, and that's when I decided that if it kept creeping up in price, I wasn't going to let a 5 year old paint on it or wear out the velcro.

I won an eBay auction last year for one of the US units for $40 shipped. It was brand new too. It was a bit of a roller coaster actually before I finally got it. When the auction was first put up at a starting bid of $39.99 I forgot to bid and it ended with 0 bids. It was relisted and the bidding went up to $75 or so and I gave up on it. But it was again relisted for a starting bid of $39.99 and this time I made sure to bid and I was the only bidder. After winning I asked the guy about what happened and he said the previous winner backed out so he had to relist it. I was very happy with the deal.

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

What's Club Nintendo?

Simply put, you'd create an account with Nintendo North America, and you could register your games from the Wii/DS/3DS eras, and they'd give you points.  If you accrued so many points each year, your tier would go up from standard, to gold, to platinum.  At each tier, you could cash in your points for rewards, some being bigger and better than others.

Nintendo morphed this program into My Nintendo, as it is branded today, but the rewards aren't as great.  The cheap stuff is downloadable backgrounds for your phone and PC and the better rewards are basically cash off on download purchases.  If you like to download your games (and are in the US), heh, free savings are free savings so you should do it.  For someone like me, it's never been worth it since I don't like non-physical games.

8 hours ago, bowser said:

I won an eBay auction last year for one of the US units for $40 shipped. It was brand new too. It was a bit of a roller coaster actually before I finally got it. When the auction was first put up at a starting bid of $39.99 I forgot to bid and it ended with 0 bids. It was relisted and the bidding went up to $75 or so and I gave up on it. But it was again relisted for a starting bid of $39.99 and this time I made sure to bid and I was the only bidder. After winning I asked the guy about what happened and he said the previous winner backed out so he had to relist it. I was very happy with the deal.

Yeah, shortly after the unit was cancelled from the system, I bought one off of eBay.  I think I paid $70 for it which was fair.  This was 4-5 years ago.  Over the years, more and more of the Japanese NIB units seem to be making it to eBay, but the US one is very-slowly becoming less common.  Regardless, the overall supply is seeming to creep up and the price is going down.

It really is just one of those odd pieces.  I don't think the people that are interested in this are paying that much attention.  But, all it will take is MJR making a video and talking about this "really rare... US release." and boom, it will shoot up 4x.  Haha.

Fun fact, one of the first questions I asked on NintendoAge was about that unit.  Specifically, I wanted advise on if it was wiser to not open it and leave it truly NIB, or open it up and take out the battery since, eventually, all batteries will probably one day leak.  I think the general consensus was leave it in if you want to sell it within the next 20 years or so.  If you think you'd want to sell it long after that, then maybe taking the battery out is wiser.  My battery is still in it.  I couldn't bring myself to crack it open.

Wow why did I forget that...  I have that Club Nintendo Ball basically new in the box still.  I think I tested it out once then returned it as I wasn't in the mood at that point. 😄  Basically other than the molding on the back for club nintendo it's 1:1 on the nose.

I hit Platinum a couple times and Gold a couple times. At one point I was buying Club Nintendo codes off eBay (from a guy that would buy Pokemon games, load them up with shinies, then re-sell them at a profit and sell the Club Nintendo codes separately on the side for more profit) just to get more points to use towards prizes. I was all about Club Nintendo stuff. Pretty aggressive collector including importing a few items from overseas. Even last year and this year I picked up some Japanese Club Nintendo prizes off Mercari Japan via Buyee. I've never gone through and cataloged all the stuff that I have but I probably should... I have a lot 🙂