IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Kiwi Kraze

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

It's a me, your weekly contest host, Bea!!!
We're back this week with some new crazy New Zealand ACTION that will fill your week!
Our mighty players will brace Kiwi Kraze this week, competing to achieving the highest of high scores!

Here be the rules:

• Play till life 1
  • Once you reach live 1, stop playing and take a picture of your score when it is showing on screen
  • If you beat the game, take a picture on the ending screen. It will show your high score
  • Anyone suspected of playing on life 1 will have their score disqualified
  • If you take a portal that teleports you back in level, your run immediately ends. Take your picture after being sent to the earlier level without playing any part of it.
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 5,000
  • Genre: Action

The contest ends Sunday, 08/09/20 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

2064083536_SageKiwi.png.838c7a9b80e7846d

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st bertsampson 1,428,600
2nd Sumez 1,327,000
3rd 0xDEAFC0DE 629,000
4th NESfiend 445,100
5th 8bitdontquit 355,100
6th JamesRobot 291,600
7th ninjistar 256,700
8th CasualCart 231,600
9th Jeevan 231,000
10th CMR 201,500
11th Richardhead 121,800
12th Gaia Gensouki 76,000
13th mbd39 52,300
14th Tablew/chairs 51,800
15th Ausden 43,200
16th skinnygrinny 17,500

Graphics Team · Posted

Another Kiwi Kraze fan here. I love those classic Taito 'Bubble Bobble' physics. It's also interesting how most enemies in this game can't cause damage on contact - only their projectiles can.

If anyone has some strategies to share, I'm all ears - I've always wanted to get further into the game, but I'm constantly getting smoked by the second boss battle...

-CasualCart

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
43 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Another Kiwi Kraze fan here. I love those classic Taito 'Bubble Bobble' physics. It's also interesting how most enemies in this game can't cause damage on contact - only their projectiles can.

If anyone has some strategies to share, I'm all ears - I've always wanted to get further into the game, but I'm constantly getting smoked by the second boss battle...

-CasualCart

I have never even heard of this game, but if i learn anything today or tomorrow I will share with you 🙂  You got me the donkey kong run.  Sounds to me like you might be better than me right now tho. lol

• Like 1

Wow, I'm really impressed by this port! This is the first time I'm playing it, and despite the NES's obvious downgrades it really feels a lot like playing the arcade. The stages are the same as in most of the official Taito ports such as Taito Legends on PS2, so they are all familiar (there are like 3 or 4 different versions of this game, and the other stage sets are much harder!). They are downscaled a little, but don't really feel it, which is commendable! And the awesome Tim Follin rendition of the classic theme is a banger.

The only thing that puts me off is the physics that feel like they show down weirdly every time you are at the apex of a jump, and weirdly enough every flying vehicle controls the same even though an alternative control scheme was implemented with that powerup (and it seems the big metal things don't fly at all?). Otherwise they managed to really implement a surprising amount of details from the arcade game, right down to the flutter you can do when mashing the jump button.

Is playing on an NES Advantage allowed, providing you aren't using the autofire setting of course?

50 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Stay on one of the lower platforms, always ready to jump down to evade the bats, but try to shoot the ones that are ahead of you whenever possible. You can play it very safe if you want to, and the only downside will be the battle taking a long time.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to endlessly point press in this game? I've noticed there are regenerating enemies. There is a "time keeper" who appears when you take too long, but I don't know if it is possible to just keep avoiding him while continuing to get points.

I haven't gone for it, but if it's implemented similarly to the arcade game, the guy will keep speeding up and always kill you 

I haven't checked for it, but the original game does have a "portal loop" where certain of the hidden teleports will take you back to an earlier stage allowing you to farm points endlessly without proceeding through the game. If the NES port has the same, I guess the rules should make that warp "illegal".
(most other warps are useless if you are going for a clear picking up as many points along the way as possible)

Edited by Sumez

4 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I haven't gone for it, but if it's implemented similarly to the arcade game, the guy will keep speeding up and always kill you 

I haven't checked for it, but the original game does have a "portal loop" where certain of the hidden teleports will take you back to an earlier stage allowing you to farm points endlessly without proceeding through the game. If the NES port has the same, I guess the rules should make that warp "illegal".
(most other warps are useless if you are going for a clear picking up as many points along the way as possible)

Interesting. Might be a good idea to have a rule against using any hidden warps.

Oh plenty of arcade games have it, but it's usually not intentional. In The New Zealand Story you can access a warp in 2-1 by firing through the wall with the laser pistol. You're intended to go there as a part of an earlier warp sequence that takes you forward, so the devs probably didn't think of it.

x200px-TNZS-2-1.png.pagespeed.ic.9cK260Q

Getting a gun that shoots through the walls is a little harder in this port because the UFO vehicle isn't in it, but if it's possible I'd rule against at least that one warp.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Amended the rules to state that your run ends if you take a portal that teleports you back in levels.