IGNORED

The new Battletoads

phart010

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone pick this up? I have Game Pass and fond memories of the NES original, so I decided to give it a whirl today. I had extremely low expectations and I hated the art style in all the previews, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. The art and animation are gorgeous at 4K/60fps and have a really nice cartoon aesthetic that doesn't come across well in trailers. The combat is fast and flows really smoothly, although it can be a bit too hectic with multiple players. The writing and voice acting are high quality, if a bit immature, but that's kind of what I expected from a Battletoads game. Even so, a few early jokes are genuinely funny. There's also a crazy amount of gameplay variety with the beat em' up portion being only about a third of the game.

I've heard there are some more frustrating sections later on, but I'm actually excited to play through the rest of the game. It's a no-brainer if you have Game Pass and seems like it would be a good value at $15 (MSRP $20).

I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did anyone pick this up? I have Game Pass and fond memories of the NES original, so I decided to give it a whirl today. I had extremely low expectations and I hated the art style in all the previews, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised. The art and animation are gorgeous at 4K/60fps and have a really nice cartoon aesthetic that doesn't come across well in trailers. The combat is fast and flows really smoothly, although it can be a bit too hectic with multiple players. The writing and voice acting are high quality, if a bit immature, but that's kind of what I expected from a Battletoads game. Even so, a few early jokes are genuinely funny. There's also a crazy amount of gameplay variety with the beat em' up portion being only about a third of the game.

I've heard there are some more frustrating sections later on, but I'm actually excited to play through the rest of the game. It's a no-brainer if you have Game Pass and seems like it would be a good value at $15 (MSRP $20).

I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

I’ll pick it up when it comes to Switch

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

It's a no-brainer if you have Game Pass and seems like it would be a good value at $15 (MSRP $20).

Nice review.  Animation looks fantastic, the kind of stupidity I remember from 90s cartoons.  The gameplay looks so-so but I quite enjoy mindless beat-em-ups from time to time.  I'll prob check out the inevitable switch port.

9 hours ago, phart010 said:

I’ll pick it up when it comes to Switch

2 hours ago, fox said:

Nice review.  Animation looks fantastic, the kind of stupidity I remember from 90s cartoons.  The gameplay looks so-so but I quite enjoy mindless beat-em-ups from time to time.  I'll prob check out the inevitable switch port.

I think it would be a really nice fit for Switch, but I'm not sure that any more Xbox Game Studios games are going to come to other consoles (Minecraft stuff and pre-existing contracts excluded). Phil Spencer made some comments earlier this year that implied Microsoft didn't like the brand confusion that giving up their exclusives caused. Or maybe the financial people didn't like the numbers for Ori and Cuphead. It's not totally clear, but I hope we'll get a better picture in 2021 after new consoles are out.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/04/xboxs_phil_spencer_has_a_ton_of_respect_for_nintendo_but_is_over_rumours_about_select_titles_coming_to_switch

I get the whole brand confusion thing. But this is a different scenario. Battletoads has its heritage on Nintendo consoles. It has a large fan base that is Nintendo only, and they’re not going to make the crossover to XBox just for one game.

Are they going to leave behind all of those fans just to promote XBox, or do they do what’s right for the fans and get the good PR for doing so? I’m sure there’s plenty of other newer game franchises that were created in the early 2000’s that they can keep as exclusives. I think if they really put some thought into this, they’d realize it’s probably a better move to port it over to switch within a year or so.

I’m betting they will.

Edit: just read that article. In my opinion, that’s a press statement aimed to quell pissed off investors. He doesn’t want people to delay buying a new release in hopes of a potential Switch version. That doesn’t necessarily mean there won’t be a Switch version later, it’s just setting the expectation upfront so that people that are dual platform will proceed to buy it on XBox on day 1, rather than waiting it out to buy on another platform. 

After reading that, I still think there could be a Switch release. There’s just too many Switch owners to pass up. They just want to be sure that they give all of their XBox users sufficient time to buy on XBox before putting out a Switch version to capture the Switch user base.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

Disclaimer: I played the game on the hardest difficulty. At this moment I do not know what the lower difficulties are like. Enjoyment for this game might increase on the lower levels.

I too was enjoying myself in the early beat 'em up sections. I enjoyed the early gameplay mix-ups as well, like the third-person Turbo Tunnel style section and the side view sled mode. Good throwbacks to the old games. But then the beat 'em up sections disappeared completely until the second to last level. A shoot 'em up section appeared. Then the game turned into a puzzle-platformer where I wasn't even playing as a Battletoad. And then it switched back for another shooter level. Then back to puzzle-platformer. Then back to another shooter level, again. The shooter levels aren't even fun. Everything takes a ridiculous amount of time to kill and the checkpoints aren't particularly good, causing major tedium. 

The biggest issue with this game is that it just doesn't know when to stop. Levels are stretched out to ridiculous levels. Remember how the original Battletoads (and Battlemaniacs for that matter) took around an hour to beat? One single level in the new 'Toads will take a third of that. And there are 25 of them. A couple to be fair are simple QTE games that don't last very long, but they are the minority in terms of stage length. It took me seven-and-a-half hours to beat the new 'Toads on my first go around. Streets of Rage 4 felt too long as it was, and that was only two hours. Battletoads 2020 waaaaay overstays its welcome. There is one QTE level that should have lasted 2 minutes, but goes on for 15. What. The. F*$%.

I feel like the developers had no idea what made Battletoads games what they were. Yes, I get they were trying to appeal to a younger/newer audience, but that doesn't excuse the pathetic flow of the game, all the unnecessary gameplay modes (QTE levels, puzzle platformers, among other things). Don't even get me started on the control issues. Forced analog controls for 98% of the playthrough. Shmup mode? Analog stick. Beat 'em up mode? Analog stick. Rat Race inspired level? Analog stick. Then, ironically, out of nowhere for one stage, you're forced to use the d-pad. The developers that made this game are dicks with no sense of consistency. There are other minor polish issues as well, like on the shooter levels where the border covers up bullets, causing you to not be able to see them coming at you.

Sadly the cutscenes are the best part of the game. They are genuinely funny and of high quality. They are moments of joy, before you're plunged back into the cesspit that is the game itself.

I do wonder if things take less time to kill on easier difficulties. If so, some parts of the game will be considerably more enjoyable.

Edited by Austin

1 hour ago, Austin said:

Disclaimer: I played the game on the hardest difficulty. At this moment I do not know what the lower difficulties are like. Enjoyment for this game might increase on the lower levels.

I too was enjoying myself in the early beat 'em up sections. I enjoyed the early gameplay mix-ups as well, like the third-person Turbo Tunnel style section and the side view sled mode. Good throwbacks to the old games. But then the beat 'em up sections disappeared completely until the second to last level. A shoot 'em up section appeared. Then the game turned into a puzzle-platformer where I wasn't even playing as a Battletoad. And then it switched back for another shooter level. Then back to puzzle-platformer. Then back to another shooter level, again. The shooter levels aren't even fun. Everything takes a ridiculous amount of time to kill and the checkpoints aren't particularly good, causing major tedium. 

The biggest issue with this game is that it just doesn't know when to stop. Levels are stretched out to ridiculous levels. Remember how the original Battletoads (and Battlemaniacs for that matter) took around an hour to beat? One single level in the new 'Toads will take a third of that. And there are 25 of them. A couple to be fair are simple QTE games that don't last very long, but they are the minority in terms of stage length. It took me seven-and-a-half hours to beat the new 'Toads on my first go around. Streets of Rage 4 felt too long as it was, and that was only two hours. Battletoads 2020 waaaaay overstays its welcome. There is one QTE level that should have lasted 2 minutes, but goes on for 15. What. The. F*$%.

I feel like the developers had no idea what made Battletoads games what they were. Yes, I get they were trying to appeal to a younger/newer audience, but that doesn't excuse the pathetic flow of the game, all the unnecessary gameplay modes (QTE levels, puzzle platformers, among other things). Don't even get me started on the control issues. Forced analog controls for 98% of the playthrough. Shmup mode? Analog stick. Beat 'em up mode? Analog stick. Rat Race inspired level? Analog stick. Then, ironically, out of nowhere for one stage, you're forced to use the d-pad. The developers that made this game are dicks with no sense of consistency. There are other minor polish issues as well, like on the shooter levels where the border covers up bullets, causing you to not be able to see them coming at you.

Sadly the cutscenes are the best part of the game. They are genuinely funny and of high quality. They are moments of joy, before you're plunged back into the cesspit that is the game itself.

I do wonder if things take less time to kill on easier difficulties. If so, some parts of the game will be considerably more enjoyable.

That's a real bummer that the later stages start to drag. I really hate when games pad their length. I'm playing on normal difficulty, so maybe that will alleviate some of the issues. I'll check back in when I make it to the end (most reviewers seem to say it's about 3-4 hours long and I presume they played on normal).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Austin said:

Everybody was noticing the pacing when we watched the Mexican Runner play through it on Twitch. The beat em up stages in particular seemed to drag on and on while also being really flat and static. The original kept mixing it up between platforming, beat em up, etc.  within the same stage so it didn't get  monotonous. Not sure why they didn't make the new Battletoads more like that. It's funny that the 8-bit game is actually more entertaining to watch just because of the better stage designs.

The new turbo tunnel looked like it got crazy when played on hard. So at least there's that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Everybody was noticing the pacing when we watched the Mexican Runner play through it on Twitch. The beat em up stages in particular seemed to drag on and on while also being really flat and static. The original kept mixing it up between platforming, beat em up, etc.  within the same stage so it didn't get  monotonous. Not sure why they didn't make the new Battletoads more like that. It's funny that the 8-bit game is actually more entertaining to watch just because of the better stage designs.

The new turbo tunnel looked like it got crazy when played on hard. So at least there's that

Yeah, totally. The pacing is awful. Things drag on and on and on.

The first turbo tunnel wasn't bad on the hardest difficulty, but the last one at the end, that was pretty rough. Mainly because there are zero checkpoints and it goes on for what feels like ten minutes.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 4:36 AM, fox said:

90s cartoons were great! This new Battletoads is craptacular, at least in so what they did to the Dark Queen, who went from being "the strongest woman in the universe" to... this?? Freakin' heck 😕

This is from the game itself (no joke) I guess her words & appearance are supposed to be humorous [FAIL]

Screenshot from 2020-12-13 20-50-06.png

Edited by avatar!

That's awful, like they went all earthworm jim 90s cartoon style on her.  They got her looking all tame like that, yet got to pixelate that finger out not to offend some precious creature.  I swear it's coincidence but anytime I remember that game even exists and I think to look into it on steam eventually, I get reminded just how awful it is.

4 minutes ago, fox said:

Brah did you even play it?  Sounds like you are just cherry picking things to get offended over.

I’m trusting @DoctorEncore on his review here since he has played it.  Oh and he is also a doctor. XD

It's my opinion, nothing more nothing less, and it has nothing to do with being "offended", which I'm not. I simply don't like the art direction, I don't like the script, and I really don't like what they did with the Dark Queen. Yeah, that sinks the game for me. If you like it, that's great. Personally, if I had my druthers, I'd have Studio MDHR (Cuphead) make Battletoads 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, avatar! said:

I gave you my reasons and what I don't like about the game,  you're welcome to completely ignore what I said if you want and post cute memes 🙂

I ask point blank if you played it and you ignored it.  But a meme got your attention. 😝

I know it's a Rare/XGS title so X-Box exclusivity is to be expected but...that's the biggest thing that's going to keep me from getting to play this game. Even with my eye-roll response to how they've "reimagined" poor Dark Queen, honestly all the other potential about the game had me kinda excited. I wasn't even against the exaggerated comic-style of the art direction.

But unless this game gets ported decently to PC, PS4 or Switch...I'm just not gonna get to play it, since I don't own (and have zero plans to own) an X-Box One or Series X. 🙁

Edit: Apparently, it *is* available on Steam. Well, that's good. I may have to pick it up after all.

Edited by Webhead123