IGNORED

The new Battletoads

phart010

I'm obviously just preaching to the choir here, but the art style looks really terrible to me. Which is too bad, because the game otherwise looks very much alive, like care did go into the animation.

I have a weird illogical love for Battletoads and their genre mixing weirdness, and I've kind of always wanted a reboot of the game - it really felt like it would have a lot of potential.
But as a low-tier cashgrab by some unknown devs who licensed the property off Rare/MS for easy viral marketing? Nah, I'll pass.

3 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Exactly how much less could you care?

Yeah people missuse that phrase it's supposed to be couldn't care less since what you're trying to say is that you don't care at all. But if you can care less then it means that you currently care to a degree.

I guess I'm not alone on this.

They've ruined the evil allure of the queen that lovely infographic above spelled out nicely enough.  But even if you bypassed that dulled out character for the more fragile types, what the hell not staying true to design of the characters and making them look like a cross between some two-bit childs low frame cartoon trash and a 15 years ago flashplayer cartoon video.  Seriously?  They basically sucked any level of original personality out of it while trying to cover things giving the toads their own form of TMNT wannabe sassy attitude.  Hopefully it plays well and isn't trashy, but I don't see this making fans of those who grew up enjoying this stuff 30 years ago, then again maybe it's just not meant for them so they went widely out of the way to drive them off to get new fans.

Graphics Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Gary Hobbesworth said:

I don't think anyone old enough to remember Battletoads or enjoy hardcore games would find this sort of modern "budget" style of animation appealing, only people who grew up watching cartoons like this and accepted it because they had nothing better.

The animation in these Battletoads cutscenes is, admittedly, sub-par. But as a whole, the modern western animation style you're referring to still has the capacity for excellent execution. It's mostly done with 2D rigged characters, which can look flat and awkward when they aren't handled or designed properly, but this style can be very effective when the artists know what they're doing.

For example, the modern Mickey Mouse shorts are designed specifically for this animation style, and the result is gorgeous because of the cohesiveness and attention to detail. I might get a lot of flak for saying this, but cartoons like these are much more artistically sophisticated than anime, which often relies very heavily on carbon-copy art styles and tropes for their appeal.

-CasualCart

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I might get a lot of flak for saying this, but cartoons like these are much more artistically sophisticated than anime, which often relies very heavily on carbon-copy art styles and tropes for their appeal.

How dare you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1