IGNORED

Game Debate #8: Super Mario Sunshine

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

61 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

Loved the game when having played it for the first time. I remember getting stuck on a boss around half way mark, and got distracted with life stuff and never came back to it. 

I think the gameplay is not much different from other 3D Mario games, just the difficulty is actually a lot more challenging, which is undermentioned in my opinion.

I gave this an 8/10 from the OP’s criteria. If judged by GameCube standards, I think it deserves a 9/10.

• Like 1

Gave it a 1/10.

My brother and I tried this one multiple times over the years. The game looks beautiful, I love the island setting, etc. I also really enjoyed Mario 64 and the two Mario Galaxy games.

The difficulty is what ruins this one for us though. The game's difficulty is not balanced, and so often you get stuck trying to beat a section that's infuriatingly difficult, as there's nowhere else to go and you can't skip it.

That ruined the game for my brother and me , despite us both wanting to like it.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

Never played it and probably never will. The Gamecube was the lost Nintendo generation for me. Everyone, including myself, ended up with a PS2. I wasn't attracted to anything related to the Gamecube. The games, the way the console looked, the stupid mini discs, that GOD AWFUL controller. Everything about that console pushes me away.

• Like 1

I'd give it a 7, very good but not great.

I skipped school the day this came out, I was HYPE for another Mario game seeing as it had been about a million years since the last one. I figured it looked a little strange in the magazine previews, it didn't really look much like a Mario game. No familiar enemies or locations, and there didn't seem to be that much variety, but I was willing to look past that and give it a go.

Anyway, yeah so it didn't blow me away, it was a big disappointment actually, one of several games that let me down on the GameCube. I managed to beat the game, although yeah so weird they made the whole game basically look the same, none of the visual variety you get used to from Mario games. And the worst thing about it for me, as a fan of collectathon platformers were the blue coins, which were basically impossible to find without a guide. A collectathon where you can't collect everything is a big problem for me, I don't mind challenging platforming or whatever, but just coins hidden in places you'll never find was a bummer.

First time I played through it as a teenager I got 113 shines, only missing blue coin ones. I went back to the game about five years ago and played through again from the beginning, and used a guide to complete it 100%. I wasn't entirely satisfying.

But, I will say, I do like the gameplay and the level designs, for the most part, as well as the little mini platform challenge stages you go into in the levels. That stuff is all really good, and I don't mind the difficulty although yeah I also agree some of the challenges can be frustrating.

Also, Yoshi dies when you go in the water, that shit is WHACK! 😤

• Like 1

I played it for the first time this year, only having played briefly prior. (Not making it off the first shine) 

I enjoyed it but it does have some flaws. I won’t ever revisit it but I’m glad to have beat it at the very least. Challenge seemed super high on a couple of the shines and the rest was pretty lacking 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm seeing a pattern here, so I'm going to get ahead of this.  I haven't played any of the games on 3D All Stars enough to rate them.  I'm hoping to play through all of them at some point, but Sunshine is the game I'm most interested in playing.  

I actually never fully played a 3D Mario game until Odyssey.  But fortunately, Odyssey convinced me that I can enjoy 3D Mario games (prior to that I had zero interest), so now I want to work my way through them all.  I can say I've played through and beaten all 2D Mario mainline series games.  It would be nice to say the same about all the 3D games.  

• Like 1

Unless there's something dramatically wrong with it on the Switch vs the Gamecube, My feelings have greatly diminished on liking this game, or my memory intentionally blocked some pretty aggravating annoying parts of the game.  WHich parts? The almost Crash Bandicoot-esque stages where you are forced to run into the screen w/no FLUDD attached.  They're an unfair aggravating uptight pain in the ass request of high level precision even from the very first in the first world of the game no less.  Same can be said for those wannabe 8bit throwback stages too, and the overly easily dissolved Yoshi which can really screw you on some places.  The camera most will complain about, it doesn't bug me really other than a rare case of a tight wall but the shadow is there.  What gets me is the controls just seem more sloppy, floaty, non-precise, can't nail it down exactly but the game seems built around good ideas sadly 90% executed so there's issue after issue.

I was happy to re-do this game on the 3D Allstars package, but after putting up with a few hours of its crap I went back to Mario 64 and Galaxy instead which are razor precision as far as gameplay, mechanics, camera, fun, variety, and well flowing stuff that moves as you would expect watching it go.

Sunshine, the sun is kind of setting on it.  And no, not just because it's a Mario game, but because it has a lot of good going for it just with a bunch issues that mar it, I'm thinking it needs a 7.  Black sheep of the 3D Mario free roaming console titles for certain.

• Like 1

I gave it a 7. Mario games are supposed to have tight controls and the whole water jet mechanic does not do this. 

I would also mention that a main reason I have Mario 64 higher than OoT is necause the latter has you traversing the boring countryside doing nothing. This game's hub can make accessing some challenges a pain in the ass and don't even think about getting a Game Over because then you have to jump on those boats with Yoshi and not touch the water. Y'know, that thing that is prevalent due to the water mechanic in the game.

Saying that, it is a good game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, Shmup said:

5/10- I played it on launch but could only bring myself to finish the first half (70 stars or whatever it was).

It was a big disappointment after Mario 64, but maybe I’ll revisit it one day with a different perspective.

Score still holds up. This game is as bad I remember it being. @Tanooki sums it up perfectly, although a more generous score than me haha.

Thankfully Galaxy is amazing, so on to replay that.

• Like 2

8/10, amazing game and managed to innovate over past mario games while keeping the experience close to them. takes some time to get used to the fludd thing, and some parts are annoying, but some parts of mario 64 were annoying too

i loved the parallel-world mini levels and the warm atmosphere of the tropical island was really nice and unexpected

don't know why so many people hate this game, but then again, are they really so many, or just a vocal minority, or maybe they all refer to the same bunch of bad reviews it got at launch? dunno

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:17 PM, Tanooki said:

was happy to re-do this game on the 3D Allstars package, but after putting up with a few hours of its crap I went back to Mario 64 and Galaxy instead which are razor precision as far as gameplay, mechanics, camera, fun, variety, and well flowing stuff that moves as you would expect watching it go.

I had the same experience on the All Stars. I put in around 5 hours into Sunshine and I actually forgot about it. I saved it for last bc I never had completed the game so I was looking forward to it. After I finished the first couple levels, I literally forgot about the game until I saw this thread.

Mario 64 and Galaxy had the complete opposite to where I was waiting to sink my teeth into knocking out a few more stars to get closer to the finale. I even put off finishing Galaxy bc I didn't want to see the ending scene without finishing every level.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shmup said:

Score still holds up. This game is as bad I remember it being. @Tanooki sums it up perfectly, although a more generous score than me haha.

Thankfully Galaxy is amazing, so on to replay that.

You and @RegularGuyGamer there too.  The problem isn't that the game is bad, it's just not that it's great.  It's not up to what I guess would be called 'up to code' where it may be a complete job, but one job with a lot of faults that keep it from being qualified as great to the standards of what work is considered right by the designers.  The game is a big fat slip up, and maybe it's being hard on it as it's a fault, maybe it would be looked nicer upon if it wasn't Mario?  Or maybe because it is Mario that 7 or near that stands when others would give it like a 4 or a 5 as it's competent and by and far not all bad.  It's just broken, and they didn't even try and un-screw it up in the Switch version which both makes sense and is sad.

In the end I have it still on Gamecube and back in the day I never remember skating through it enough to get to the ending, but never once in all these years EVER returning to the game to get another shine sprite at all or to even re-start it, not once.  I can say every other full 3D world Mario game on a handheld or console I have except Odyssey, but it hasn't been out long enough to get knocked off being the most recent.  That one too had some quirks, overall far better, nothing so much as broken, just that overkill moon syndrome is a real demotivator for me.  It's like you close your eyes, think of that crap Oprah used to do, and pretend instead it's Mario saying ...and you get a moon, and you get a moon, everyone gets a moon!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You and @RegularGuyGamer there too.  The problem isn't that the game is bad, it's just not that it's great.  It's not up to what I guess would be called 'up to code' where it may be a complete job, but one job with a lot of faults that keep it from being qualified as great to the standards of what work is considered right by the designers.  The game is a big fat slip up, and maybe it's being hard on it as it's a fault, maybe it would be looked nicer upon if it wasn't Mario?  Or maybe because it is Mario that 7 or near that stands when others would give it like a 4 or a 5 as it's competent and by and far not all bad.  It's just broken, and they didn't even try and un-screw it up in the Switch version which both makes sense and is sad.

In the end I have it still on Gamecube and back in the day I never remember skating through it enough to get to the ending, but never once in all these years EVER returning to the game to get another shine sprite at all or to even re-start it, not once.  I can say every other full 3D world Mario game on a handheld or console I have except Odyssey, but it hasn't been out long enough to get knocked off being the most recent.  That one too had some quirks, overall far better, nothing so much as broken, just that overkill moon syndrome is a real demotivator for me.  It's like you close your eyes, think of that crap Oprah used to do, and pretend instead it's Mario saying ...and you get a moon, and you get a moon, everyone gets a moon!

That first paragraph, hits the nail on the head Tanooki. The game isn’t bad but it does seem lacking for a Mario game specially. I played it for the first time this past summer and finished it. I liked the challenge (despite a few shines being very randomly hard) but the camera and controls didn’t flow that great. Kind of felt it just needed a little more polish 

• Like 2