IGNORED

Political Poll: Does hydroxy-chloroquine work for Covid-19?

phart010

Does hydroxy-chloroquine work?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does hydroxy-chloroquine work?

• Yes, it works
    • No, it does not
    • Who knows - I’m not a scientist

I supposed it depends on what's meant by "work."  I took it to mean "cure," as that's how it keeps getting thrown around in the media when it comes up.  It's possible that it helps alleviate symptoms brought on by the virus, but it definitely doesn't kill off or cure the virus.  Dose Tylenol cure the common cold?  Nope.  It works (in most people) to help alleviate some of the symptoms, but it does exactly dick to the actual, underlying illness.  Same with this stuff and COVID-19.

• Like 2

Well on one side, you have the FDA, which states:

"Based on ongoing analysis and emerging scientific data, FDA has revoked the emergency use authorization (EUA) to use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to treat COVID-19 in certain hospitalized patients when a clinical trial is unavailable or participation is not feasible. We made this determination based on recent results from a large, randomized clinical trial in hospitalized patients that found these medicines showed no benefit for decreasing the likelihood of death or speeding recovery. This outcome was consistent with other new data, including those showing the suggested dosing for these medicines are unlikely to kill or inhibit the virus that causes COVID-19. As a result, we determined that the legal criteria for the EUA are no longer met. Please refer to the Revocation of the EUA Letter and FAQs on the Revocation of the EUA for Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate and Chloroquine Phosphate for more information."

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-cautions-against-use-hydroxychloroquine-or-chloroquine-covid-19-outside-hospital-setting-or

On the other side, you have a doctor who states, well, this:

• Haha 1

What do you mean by "works"?

A "cure"? It definitely is NOT. (and as I understand it, nobody credible claims that it is a "cure")

As a "treatment"? My understanding of it is that there are conflicting studies, where MAYBE it helps, but there are other medications/treatments that appear to be more successful with fewer side effects.

I certainly don't buy into any of the ridiculous conspiracy theories around it being suppressed by "big pharma".

42 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Covid is a virus, I don't know of any viral illness cured by medicine. Bacterial, sure. You take an antibiotic. Viral? @Doctornick, do you have insight?

So from what we have seen, it "may" help, but early research indicates it does not.  I can't definitively tell you it does not at all though, because we would need to study for a year with all the right conditions.  

My take on this is that hydroxychloroquine is typically prescribed for people with some debilitating health problems, a few examples being lupus, skeletal and tissue disorders, sever rheumatoid arthritis, etc.  I think it is irresponsible to waste it on Covid-19 patients while we aren't positive it will have any impact on their recovery.  We experienced a shortage of hydroxychloroquine in March during the beginning due to over prescribing of hydroxychloroquine all based on a hunch.

Gun to my head, I would say it doesn't work (so my answer looks less like a sleazy politicians).

Edited by Doctornick
I can't spell
  • Like 4