Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BeaIank

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

You also need perfect stacking and know exactly when to burn so that you can still get pieces over. The slightest mistake at that speed and you can't get anything over, at least not when using DAS.

I've seen plenty of maxout level players who don't even stack particularly well. Stacking is of course always central in Tetris, but having good control of the game is the most important key in this one.

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

You really don't.

Good control of the DAS is what you need to make it to Level 29 from Level 19+, and hypertapping + DAS is needed at 29+.

But I have pretty limited, if any DAS control, and can survive the 18-19 transition up into the mid-20's.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. 🙂
Level 18 is perfectly playable without solid DAS control, but you're gonna have trouble if your stack gets high. On level 19 you won't survive for long without good DAS control, and you definitely won't be able to get more than a couple of tetrises off.
If you want to survive level 29, DAS is 100% useless. It's exclusively possible using either hypertapping, or a prepared center well stack, which might just be able to survive 10 lines, but no more than that.

6 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Put a couple hours into it, you may surprise yourself. Most games you're going to lose in seconds, but you can make some gradual progress with a bit of work. It's got a steep learning curve and being consistent is very difficult. But it is possible to see some improvement, quicker than you might think

Oh trust me, I've put a lot more than "a couple of hours" into it. Like I said, I can do well over 100 lines, but that doesn't mean I'm able to score in any meaningful way on level 19, and I'm essentially on borrowed time. If you can't make it to the killscreen, you aren't in control of level 19 - you're just threading water. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You haven't had a score update since Monday! Slacker!

And I haven't updated since Sunday and I've tried.

I can hit the 300k and 400k range fairly often, but 500k+ is not a common score for me. I would love to hit 500k before the week is over.

 

 

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sumez said:

I've seen plenty of maxout level players who don't even stack particularly well. Having good control of the game is the most important key in this one.

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mbd39 said:

And I haven't updated Sunday and I've tried.

I can hit the 300k and 400k range fairly often, but 500k+ is not a common score for me. I would love to hit 500k before the week is over.

 

I haven't played since my last score. I'd like to hit 500k, but I don't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

That too. It's its own category though. The primary difficulty in NES Tetris comes from the slow DAS, and hypertapping bypasses that entirely. It's not a skill most people have though, and even for the ones that do have it, it's uncomfortable.
Most hypertappers I've seen are also really good stackers though. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

 

That's exactly what I'm saying though. 🙂
Level 18 is perfectly playable without solid DAS control, but you're gonna have trouble if your stack gets high. On level 19 you won't survive for long without good DAS control, and you definitely won't be able to get more than a couple of tetrises off.
If you want to survive level 29, DAS is 100% useless. It's exclusively possible using either hypertapping, or a prepared center well stack, which might just be able to survive 10 lines, but no more than that.

 

Thought that the guys that functionally play at level 29+ use DAS + hypertapping, to benefit from the "lead off" that DAS provides. 

Edited by arch_8ngel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

The people that reliably hyper-tap don't need to get away with sloppier stacking because they're already awesome at the game...

(also their idea of a "sloppy" stack and your or my idea are going to be a bit different, since I've seen those guys pull off some crazy flip-into-place moves that I didn't even know were possible -- like one of Thor's recoveries in EOO)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sumez said:

If you can't make it to the killscreen, you aren't in control of level 19 - you're just threading water. 🙂 

Yeah, I definitely agree with that sentiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You haven't had a score update since Monday! Slacker!

I'm only here to beat you, and I didn't feel it necessary to double your score...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Thought that the guys that functionally play at level 29+ use DAS + hypertapping, to benefit from the "lead off" that DAS provides. 

There's something commonly referred to "extended tap" which basically means DAS almost to where you need the piece, and then tap into the final column, since you can reliably do that faster than the DAS repeat (as opposed to true hypertapping, which involves doing that repeatedly). It's not an easy thing to pull off, but it's feasible to do for DAS players (I don't think hypertappers rely on it too often though?) and it can be a game changer, and is often seen in some amazing stunts during top CTWC matches. Greentea especially does it often, and he's a pure DAS player.

There are a lot of hypertappers that do rely on DAS frequently to relax on the tapping whenever it isn't necessary. The problem with switching between them however, is that as long as you're hypertapping, you'll lose the DAS charge, and the only way to get it back is a wall charge, if you aren't playing at a level where you have the time to just charge it normally. So you need to be really conscious about it.

I've actually run into more than a few hypertappers who aren't even aware of how the game's odd DAS mechanics work, which means they could never rely on it even if they wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bertsampson said:

I'm only here to beat you, and I didn't feel it necessary to double your score...

I'm glad that I give you a purpose in life. I'm sure that I could beat you, but I'd rather let you keep thinking that you are better than me.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm glad that I give you a purpose in life. I'm sure that I could beat you, but I'd rather let you keep thinking that you are better than me.

It's pretty crazy that your score is only fifth place. 350k score was fourth place in the previous Tetris contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High level Tetris is a thing of beauty to watch.
So many different techniques and layers of strategy employed to keep scoring tetrises.
I love watching the CTWC!

Just thinking about the CTWC makes me think that I went too soft on you all with this week rules.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

High level Tetris is a thing of beauty to watch.
So many different techniques and layers of strategy employed to keep scoring tetrises.
I love watching the CTWC!

Just thinking about the CTWC makes me think that I went too soft on you all with this week rules.

Participation should have been at least 100k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

High level Tetris is a thing of beauty to watch.
So many different techniques and layers of strategy employed to keep scoring tetrises.
I love watching the CTWC!

Just thinking about the CTWC makes me think that I went too soft on you all with this week rules.

I'm not the best player, but I'm a total Tetris nerd. I love CTWC and watching high level Tetris on Youtube/Twitch.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Played for a couple hours last night and didnt beat my score. We have until sunday right?

Join the club. I always have a bad misdrop or severe drought that wrecks my run when I'm on good pace. It's like the game knows when I'm doing well and then decides to just give me horrible pieces from then on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@JamesRobot @Richardhead @SuperJimtendo @Murray

my dad is in colorado right now... semd me this pic... says "its cheap" i say "colombian fold?" he says "oh yes"..

A8898412-2478-4365-8B38-799A9C9560B2.jpeg

God damn hippie pot tourists.  Quit bringing that Florida COVID into my state!  Get your own damn legal weed.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Join the club. I always have a bad misdrop or severe drought that wrecks my run when I'm on good pace. It's like the game knows when I'm doing well and then decides to just give me horrible pieces from then on.

 

It's like you completely forget how to play the damn game for a bit. It's hard to get back in the groove of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...