IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Tetris

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted

999,999 is max yes

i think the strat is to start higher so u get more points for tetris' early on before a speed increase

so it is actually easier, theoretically to get max starting higher @NESfiend

I could totally be wrong, but when i started higher when i played i could do better point wise

4 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

So I assume if people can get 500k starting at level 15, they could get a million if they started at 0. Does it max at 999,999? 

It's much harder to get a high score starting at level 0. People who max out generally do so starting at levels 18 or 19 where you can get a lot more points for a Tetris while being able to make a bunch of lines before a speed change.

18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

So I assume if people can get 500k starting at level 15, they could get a million if they started at 0. Does it max at 999,999? 

No, the lowest level you can practically start for a really solid point run is Level 9.

But the "best" level to start for points, if you can handle the speed is Level 18.

There is a custom build for the serious Tetris players out there that no longer caps at 999,999.

A bunch of new records have been set in the last year, or so.  It has been crazy.

15 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It's much harder to get a high score starting at level 0. People who max out generally do so starting at levels 18 or 19 where you can get a lot more points for a Tetris while being able to make a bunch of lines before a speed change.

A Level 19 max out is a recognized special accomplishment over doing it from Level 18, where you can accumulate most of the points at a much slower speed.

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

A Level 19 max out is a recognized special accomplishment over doing it from Level 18, where you can accumulate most of the points at a much slower speed.

I personally can't even imagine getting a level 19 maxout. But then I can barely get a Tetris on level 19.

• Like 1

19 is pretty damn bad. You need 100% infallible control of the DAS and perfect skillstopping on nearly every piece.

Even stacking as low as I can, not going for a single Tetris, I've never been able to pull off more than 121 line clears starting on level 19.

Edited by Sumez

12 minutes ago, Sumez said:

19 is pretty damn bad. You need 100% infallible control of the DAS and perfect skillstopping on nearly every piece.

You also need perfect stacking and know exactly when to burn so that you can still get pieces over. The slightest mistake at that speed and you can't get anything over, at least not when using DAS.

56 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You really don't.

Good control of the DAS is what you need to make it to Level 29 from Level 19+, and hypertapping + DAS is needed at 29+.

But I have pretty limited, if any DAS control, and can survive the 18-19 transition up into the mid-20's.

43 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

You also need perfect stacking and know exactly when to burn so that you can still get pieces over. The slightest mistake at that speed and you can't get anything over, at least not when using DAS.

Knowing when to burn and keeping the stack low is way more important for most of us that "perfect DAS control".

You only really need the DAS control if you want to take risks and get stacked more than a single Tetris high.  You can play conservatively up there as long as you can think fast enough to keep the stack down.  Totally different style of play from the comfortable risk taking of < Level 18.

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

19 is pretty damn bad.

Put a couple hours into it, you may surprise yourself. Most games you're going to lose in seconds, but you can make some gradual progress with a bit of work. It's got a steep learning curve and being consistent is very difficult. But it is possible to see some improvement, quicker than you might think

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I've seen plenty of maxout level players who don't even stack particularly well. Stacking is of course always central in Tetris, but having good control of the game is the most important key in this one.

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

You really don't.

Good control of the DAS is what you need to make it to Level 29 from Level 19+, and hypertapping + DAS is needed at 29+.

But I have pretty limited, if any DAS control, and can survive the 18-19 transition up into the mid-20's.

That's exactly what I'm saying though. 🙂
Level 18 is perfectly playable without solid DAS control, but you're gonna have trouble if your stack gets high. On level 19 you won't survive for long without good DAS control, and you definitely won't be able to get more than a couple of tetrises off.
If you want to survive level 29, DAS is 100% useless. It's exclusively possible using either hypertapping, or a prepared center well stack, which might just be able to survive 10 lines, but no more than that.

6 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Put a couple hours into it, you may surprise yourself. Most games you're going to lose in seconds, but you can make some gradual progress with a bit of work. It's got a steep learning curve and being consistent is very difficult. But it is possible to see some improvement, quicker than you might think

Oh trust me, I've put a lot more than "a couple of hours" into it. Like I said, I can do well over 100 lines, but that doesn't mean I'm able to score in any meaningful way on level 19, and I'm essentially on borrowed time. If you can't make it to the killscreen, you aren't in control of level 19 - you're just threading water. 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You haven't had a score update since Monday! Slacker!

And I haven't updated since Sunday and I've tried.

I can hit the 300k and 400k range fairly often, but 500k+ is not a common score for me. I would love to hit 500k before the week is over.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

Just now, Sumez said:

I've seen plenty of maxout level players who don't even stack particularly well. Having good control of the game is the most important key in this one.

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

Just now, mbd39 said:

And I haven't updated Sunday and I've tried.

I can hit the 300k and 400k range fairly often, but 500k+ is not a common score for me. I would love to hit 500k before the week is over.

I haven't played since my last score. I'd like to hit 500k, but I don't see it happening.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I think the hyper tappers can get away with sloppier stacking at 19.

That too. It's its own category though. The primary difficulty in NES Tetris comes from the slow DAS, and hypertapping bypasses that entirely. It's not a skill most people have though, and even for the ones that do have it, it's uncomfortable.
Most hypertappers I've seen are also really good stackers though. 🙂